Dedicated Grainfather Guide, Problems and Solutions Thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wadey said:
Hi folks.

Finally got the grainfather and did a maiden brew on Saturday. So just thought I would post my experience and get some feedback. I decided to do a Aussie Lager and everything was going great guns, sparge only took about 10 minutes so that wasn't bad from what I've read. Then I started the boil and a few dramas kicked in

1) I was worried about wort getting burnt on the bottom so in the course of trying to scrap the element I knocked the filter off, not cool. So I pushed on wasn't much I could do about, lucky I was using a hop spider.
2) first time using a chiller of any sort but I went through a shit tin of water. Next time I will work on the flow rates and see how it goes but I ended up throwing the fermenter in the fridge to get to 12c
3) other than those issue it went well

Question for the forum, I noticed the control panel work light was coming on even when I had the switch in the '0' position, is that normal?
Good work Wadey. The new T-shaped filter is a lot better for staying in place...surprised you didn't get it if your GF is brand new? You can get it here: http://www.grainfather.com.au/#!online-store/c8k/!/New-Pump-Filter/p/54211107/category=11595343

I don't reckon you'd have much luck getting the wort below low 20's with the counter-flow chiller, unless you could hook up some kind of pre-chiller ice arrangement to get the water really cold. Brewing a lager you don't have much choice to do anything other than what you did, chill it to pitching temps in the fridge.

I had that same problem with the work light coming on...and in my case the element was still kicking in even when I had the switch set to 0. It's a faulty controller, GF replaced it for me no hassles. BUT...I think the light can come on even when the element doesn't. To be sure, put a few litres of water in your GF, set the controller to say 50C, then leave the switch on 0...does it heat the water still? If not, nothing to worry about, ignore the light. If it does heat, you'll need a new controller.

Thanks mate, will give that a try and see what happens. I did get the T type filter just must have been unlucky to bump it off. Can't wait to do another brew, no doubt things will get better with practice.

Cheers Wadey

I thought the switch set to '0' bypasses the temp controller. So even if the stc-200 thinks it is turning on the element, the switch set a '0' is blocking that?

Hey guys ,

There's a new grain father ap out now for smart phones. It's way cool, has timers for brew day, plus monitors time for fermentation, dry hopping etc. download from the ap store.
It's good,

Cheers

carniebrew said:
Does yours have all the rest of the upgraded bits, just not the filter?
Hey Carnie. Yep it had all the other upgrade parts just not the filter. I have spoken to Liquorcraft in South Oakley where i bought it from and they are checking for me. They didn't even know there was a new filter.

GalBrew said:
I thought the switch set to '0' bypasses the temp controller. So even if the stc-200 thinks it is turning on the element, the switch set a '0' is blocking that?
Yep spot on, with the switch set to '0' no element comes on, tested this last night. Thanks guys, just threw me a bit on the first brew day.

Coldspace said:
Hey guys ,

There's a new grain father ap out now for smart phones. It's way cool, has timers for brew day, plus monitors time for fermentation, dry hopping etc. download from the ap store.
It's good,

Cheers
Yep. used this on the weekend. sweet timers/ alarms. store your recipes. Calc's your strike & sparge water. store Notes. But they need to get it across more platforms. at this stage it is only available on iPhone/ ipad.
Also I would like the option to share recipes and may be a Ibu calculator etc. That way I don't need to use other software. I have emailed them requesting this. I ask everyone wanting to using this app to email them requesting more options to improve this app. cheers.

Coldspace said:
Hey guys ,

It's good,

Cheers
Still waiting for the Andriod app. But I have got the calculators from the GF site on a bookmark so I can do all the water calcs. on the phone. Recipes on BrewR app ATM.

GalBrew said:
Yes, that's exactly how it should work, but my original controller box was faulty in that it would turn the element on even with the switch on 0.

Wadey said:

Hi folks.

Finally got the grainfather and did a maiden brew on Saturday. So just thought I would post my experience and get some feedback. I decided to do a Aussie Lager and everything was going great guns, sparge only took about 10 minutes so that wasn't bad from what I've read. Then I started the boil and a few dramas kicked in

1) I was worried about wort getting burnt on the bottom so in the course of trying to scrap the element I knocked the filter off, not cool. So I pushed on wasn't much I could do about, lucky I was using a hop spider.
2) first time using a chiller of any sort but I went through a shit tin of water. Next time I will work on the flow rates and see how it goes but I ended up throwing the fermenter in the fridge to get to 12c
3) other than those issue it went well

Question for the forum, I noticed the control panel work light was coming on even when I had the switch in the '0' position, is that normal?
Chilling with any more than about 3-4L per minute of water doesn't speed it up by more than a touch, so you can conserve water that way. Use of a pre-chiller with ice and water in it-especially as summer approaches will help and drop water usage to about a 1/4 of what you'd use otherwise. Setting it up with a recirculation/pump system will aid further.

carniebrew said:
Good work Wadey. The new T-shaped filter is a lot better for staying in place...surprised you didn't get it if your GF is brand new? You can get it here: http://www.grainfather.com.au/#!online-store/c8k/!/New-Pump-Filter/p/54211107/category=11595343
Already ordered, it's on the way! Also, all needed components for ArdBir are on the way and... Ok, my first batch got the FG BUT...still fermenting! One more day, gravity went down of 1 point, when it will be stable I will bottle the batch!

welly2 said:
I'll probably stick with my firmware-updated STC-1000 when it arrives but interested in what the ArdBir offers.
Could someone run through the different options here and tell us what extra features each brings to the table?

I assume a STC-1000 without updated firmware will only do what the STC-200 does?
What more will a firmware-updated STC-1000 allow you to do? (I assume allows you to program in mash/temperature steps?)
What more will ArdBir etc allow you to do?

So, put one of the bottles in the fridge from my first brew.
Hoping she comes out semi-decent tomorrow (or at the very least, drinkable).

I still need to get a proper fermentation set up done, but my first addition has been a hop spider.
A necessity for this kit if you ask me.

STC1000 has 2 relays and can control both a heater (e.g. light bulb in fridge) and a cooler (the fridge) to hold temp.
STC200 has only 1 relay so can either control a heater or a cooler

The ArdBir is a single board Arduino Uno based system. It is open source everything is available at Github It is design for a single vessel BIAB system. And it is ready to use for the Grainfather.

In short. With the ArdBir you enter the whole process. From filling the GF up and including to cooling. It does not switch the heating on/off, but it has a PID / PWM regulation for the heating elements. Just have a look at the specs on the Facebook page

Tropico said:
Don't they realise that there are actually more Android user than iPhone users
I think writing apps for IOS is much easier than for Android. Android devices are a variable bunch.

Some pics of building a new controlbox for my Grainfather based on a Open ArdBir

fYkpvZYl.jpg

The Open ArdBir

peNu4uvl.jpg

All components including the extra ordered

xrTjnwzl.jpg

Base plate with 12v= Powersupply; SSR for the heating and relay for the pump

KtbcWvKl.jpg

Box and the lid. The plugs and the wiring still has to be done

WJzvC9Tl.jpg

Lid details with the front panel designed by Gutosan

Looks smart! Would be interested in a cost of it all and looking forward to seeing the thing in action. Let us know how you get on!

Latest posts

Back