• We have implemented the ability to gift someone a Supporting Membership now! When you access the Upgrade page there is now a 'Gift' button. Once you click that you can enter a username to gift an account Upgrade to. Great way to help support this forum plus give some kudos to anyone who has helped you.

Dedicated Braumeister Guide, Problems & Solution Thread

Aussie Home Brewer

Help Support Aussie Home Brewer:

azza1

Reaction score
Hi, would you guys buy a 8 year old v1 braumeister or a new grainfather connect at this point?

Coalminer

Reaction score
Make sure it will maintain a constant boil. Mine is the same vintage and the controller reads 3C above the actual temperature.
so when it hits 100C the controller thinks it is 103C and shuts off the heater. I also have to programme my mash temps 3C above what is needed. New controllers are expensive.
I would say it is a small electronic component on the circuit board but there are no adjustable pots on the board and Spidel has not been forthcoming with the the necessary info but is more than willing to sell a new one.
But there are workarounds so I am still happy with my unit and won't be tossing it.

Last edited:
Reactions: MHB

zoigl

Reaction score
My 50 litre BM is now over 10 years old, I brew regularly. I had a problem with the control box link to the pumps, all sorted, Grain and Grape are wonderful guys to do business with.
I tried the upgraded control box but reverted back to my original controller, it does what I need without all the bells and whistles.
My pumps are completely original, although I did drop an impeller on the concrete floor and broke a couple of vanes, I replaced this with a new one. Don't tighten the pumps more than you have to in order to get a seal, hand tight is fine, just check for leaks.
I reverse my top filter to get a better seal on the grain, I still love my original cloth filters.
In my opinion, the original BM takes a lot to beat. I use a flat SS sink strainer drilled to fit the centre pole and hold this in place with a washer cut from silicon tube, thus preventing grain passing through the filter around the centre pole.
I still use the original tap, I can not understand why some choose to replace it. I find the silicon tube slips on easily, and if you apply a plastic wing nut hose clamp from Bunnings, you have nothing to worry about.
I put some photos up with my set up some where, check them out.
I Just read the previous note and will add my bit. Set the temperature to boil as 102c or as high as the control box will allow.
I tried cutting up a camp foam mattress for insulation but soon gave this up as the wort is sticky and makes a mess on the outside of the BM. To overcome this, I commandeered a large bath towel which I wrapped around the BM and held in place with a bungy cord, the towel completely covers the BM from the support base to the rim. This really helps the rolling boil. I boil in the open air as I don't want the sticky steam inside on my ceiling.

Last edited:

MHB

Reaction score
I think you are safe with a second hand BM, just check out the elements, make sure they are still shiny.
Some of the early ones have black elements rather than polished SS. They are actually better at heat transfer than the SS ones. Just make sure they are clean.

Hard to go wrong with a BM, even an old one its like choosing between a used BMW and a new Kia. a year or two from now the BMW will still be a quality car, the Kia?
Mark

Reaction score
+1 for the original tap it was made that way for a reason, not just to slip the silicone hose over but the i/d of the tap is only 8mm if I remember right so opening the tap you won't be getting a faster emptying bringing lots of trub with it. I wouldn't hesitate if you are happy with the price.

professional_drunk

Reaction score
Have had my v1 Braumeister for years now. Still love it. If it was stolen from me, I'd go buy another one even while knowing there are cheaper options out there that could save me thousands.

hezzer

Reaction score
Hi, would you guys buy a 8 year old v1 braumeister or a new grainfather connect at this point?
Agree with MHB. I have a 3 year old BMv2 with over 70 brews done and Grainfather chiller & fermenters. I wish that my fermenter/chiller set up had the same level of quality as the BM. I use a boil setting of 103 at sea level to get a boil which is sufficient. I have had a neoprene cover but got fed up cleaning it and am back to bare SS now. The wireless addition isn't worth the cost and I'm tending to using manual settings anyway so the old V1 will provide all you want, provided it's in good nick. Good luck.

Batz

Batz Brewery...Hand crafted beers from the 'Batcav
Reaction score
I bought my 50lt Braumeister from MHB 11 years ago, I have done shitloads of brews since then. Never have a problem with it, I've heard things about the new models but I'm very happy with mine.
The older models had a small problem with the tap dripping when hot, that's why many changed them out.

AussieDave

Reaction score
Does anyone have any recommendations on the 20L BM Controller faults? i have the older unit. the controller screen back light is lite but nothing else happens.

Latest posts