Dedicated Grainfather Guide, Problems and Solutions Thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My grainfather controller is stuck on 100deg no matter where I put the temp probe (certainly not 100 ambient temp)
Can this be reset at all?

I done a silly thing tonight. I poured my wort into the Grainfather Fermenter but forgot to put in the stainless steel pipe that separates the trub from the final product. Will that be an issue and how is best to approach to ensure minimal affect to the final outcome.

Cheers
Darren.

I done a silly thing tonight. I poured my wort into the Grainfather Fermenter but forgot to put in the stainless steel pipe that separates the trub from the final product. Will that be an issue and how is best to approach to ensure minimal affect to the final outcome.

Cheers
Darren.
It seems to me that it wouldn't be all that hard to fix. Are you planning to dry hop? Just sanitise a brewing glove and reach in to install the stem. Even if you're not dry hopping, you can still do this, but preferably while it's still actively fermenting, so the CO2 displaces any O2 that gets into the to of the vessel.

It seems to me that it wouldn't be all that hard to fix. Are you planning to dry hop? Just sanitise a brewing glove and reach in to install the stem. Even if you're not dry hopping, you can still do this, but preferably while it's still actively fermenting, so the CO2 displaces any O2 that gets into the to of the vessel.
Thanks Sleepy Weasel. I tried to find brewers gloves or some long glove in my area today but had no luck. I will try tomorrow otherwise I might just have to dump the trub every couple of days and hopefully not have much sediment in the keg when I finally keg it.

Cheers
Darren.

Thanks Sleepy Weasel. I tried to find brewers gloves or some long glove in my area today but had no luck. I will try tomorrow otherwise I might just have to dump the trub every couple of days and hopefully not have much sediment in the keg when I finally keg it.

Cheers
Darren.
Sorry Darren. I just assumed you would have gloves, but they're not absolutely essential, I think. Just wash your arm carefully with soap, rinse it thoroughly and then douse it well with brewing sanitiser (StarSan or similar). Shake it off (don't wipe with a towel), and get in there. If fermentation is already complete, you can do it just before you bottle or keg. You'll find it very easy to locate the outlet, because it's at the very bottom of the conical base.

Hi Darren, Sleepy is bang on the money, I've made this mistake before, washed my arm and had no issue with the final brew.

That being said, I did head out and buy some gloves from Kegland afterwards.

Good luck

Latest posts

Back