Chugger pump issues.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Chugger.com.au said:
Hopefully we have things back on track ASAP.
Hi Andrew, please let me know if/when you've been able to solve this problem. I'm not interested in returning the pumps you sent me for two of the same quality, but I'd rather exchange my Chuggers for working ones than fork out yet more money for 2 new March pumps.

Cheers,

Matthew

Just to let people know: I have posted back my pump (with supplied pre-paid label) and am receiving a refund on the pump. The sales and service from chugger.com.au has been top notch.

It's a pity they are being let down with the quality of the product from their supplier. Sales and service has been brilliant so hopefully they will sort out the technical issues and then the product can match the quality of their sales and service.

I actually ended up deciding to wait for an exchange. New batch should be in transit at the moment and Andrew is going to give them some thorough testing when they arrive before sending them out.

From all reports on the US home-brew forums, they are a good reliable pump so here's hoping they have sorted out problems with the 240V models.

Would the US ones be a completely different motor being 110v? Do they make the motor itself, or or they using another manufacturers product, and hence the 240v one may be from another supplier? Be cool if they get it sorted as a s/s head option would be great.

I'm thinking this must be an issue with the 230 V version , as I use a 110 v one with a step down voltage transformer and it works fine. Gets hot but I've run it plenty of times up to mash out temps and never had it cut out.

I purchased one in April and only just got around to connecting it up and mine too cuts out I sent an email off to chugger in the US as this is where I got it from , not knowing that an Australian supplier was coming along , im very dissapointed but I think after reading this thread I should get some results soon.
Adz.

OK, good news. Andrew got a new batch of pumps in and replaced my faulty ones with two new ones (again!). But this time they work! Just finished brewing up a batch with a 90min mash and a 60 minute sparge where both the water and wort pumps were running constantly and, drum roll, no overheating or cutouts. In fact, these new pumps ran warm but never got too hot to touch.

This is the third batch of Chugger pumps I've had, but it looks like they've finally got all the bugs out.

Once again, can't say enough about the customer service, both from Bobby at Brewhardware and Andrew at Liquide Friction. And now, it appears that they finally have a product to match their excellent service.

Cheers,

Matthew

huh, thought I had posted to this thread. Received my replacement pump and gave it a 2&1/2 hour testing, with 90 minutes at mashing (66 degrees) and 25 minutes at boiling.

Pump slightly cooler than the previous faulty one, but no other problems. Pump ran fine for the 2&1/2 hours.

Thumbs up for service and now for the pump itself. :D

So I have a Chugger that I got from the US and it cuts out every now and then. I have been leaving it for 15 minutes and then switching it back on and all good.
Is Chugger going to replace this pump?
I am just starting to build my 3v and looking for another pump I was going to shelf the chugger and get 2 March 815-SS but if the issue with the Chugger is resolved I might just get another one.

So am I right to assume that buying some chugger pumps locally will now be working fine?

Hi Simdop, I think you can be confident that Andrew at Liquide Friction is selling a product that works now. If you are concerned, you might ask him to test it before shipping.

Cheers,

Matthew

I'm assuming that Liquide Friction are the guys behind chugger.com.au?

Hey Guys,

I can confirm 100%, We have resolved the issue and will have more stock arriving around 3 weeks time.

I will be testing every unit regardless but as the members above have attested, the issue has been fixed and the pumps are now running as they should.

Also, we will be running a 10% off + FREE postage xmas special from November through December, Thats $180 delivered!

Any other questions please let me know.

Cheers

nathan_madness said:
So I have a Chugger that I got from the US and it cuts out every now and then. I have been leaving it for 15 minutes and then switching it back on and all good.
Is Chugger going to replace this pump?
I am just starting to build my 3v and looking for another pump I was going to shelf the chugger and get 2 March 815-SS but if the issue with the Chugger is resolved I might just get another one.
The customer service from Chugger is absolutely 0%. Even though they know that the first 230v pumps were faulty they are giving me excuses saying that my setup is incorrect and the pump has to be 6" below the pickup. I run a recirc 70L BIAB so the pump is always 6" below the level of the pot which should be enough positive pressure to supply the pump.

Not happy with them at all!!

nathan_madness said:
The customer service from Chugger is absolutely 0%. Even though they know that the first 230v pumps were faulty they are giving me excuses saying that my setup is incorrect and the pump has to be 6" below the pickup. I run a recirc 70L BIAB so the pump is always 6" below the level of the pot which should be enough positive pressure to supply the pump.

Not happy with them at all!!
Hey Nathan,
Dont know if you have but you should try contacting Andrew from chugger.com.au and see if he can help you with your problem.

Macca

It's good to see Andrew's been providing a solid after sales back-up service to his customers and working some solid overtime to resolve these issues at considerable expense.

10/10

Can't ask for any more than that.

Andrew, i'll be in touch about a few units for my BIAB units and 3 V system.

Martin

Morning All,

Following a thread on a UK forum - I thought I would at least give my chugger 230vac pump a 2 hour continuous test.

I`ve posted the results on the "UK" forum , whether they are of interest to you guys is up to you , but with a test over 2hrs with liquid between 60 to 100 c for the first part and boiling for the last hour, I encountered no problems . Posted pictures and vids of the even to bore everyone with.

If links are allowed to other forums here goes if not please delete, its JBK

http://www.jimsbeerkit.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=62777

Hey Guys,

Our new stock is has arrived and I can assure you after testing, all issues have been resolved.

If there are any customers who have purchased directly from us and are having any issues still, please let me know.

Hopefully, the USA buyers, who I have done my best to help are also sorted!

Please let me know if you have any issues or questions.

Oh.. and check out our xmas special here. ;)

Cheers
Andrew

Hey Guys and Gals,
If you have not been keeping up with this thread I have had issues with a Chugger pump that I purchased from the US prior to Chugger Australia existing. I had contacted the guys about the issue and I was getting no where with them. So I posted up here about the problems that I was having. Thanks to macca05's advice I contacted Andrew from chugger.com.au

macca05 said:
Hey Nathan,
Dont know if you have but you should try contacting Andrew from chugger.com.au and see if he can help you with your problem.

Macca
Andrew went out of his way even though he did not have to. He contact the suppliers in the US and kept me informed through out the process. A couple of weeks ago I got an email from the guys in the US asking to confirm my postal address as they were sending out a replacement pump and it arrived today.

Anyone that is looking at getting a Chugger the issue of them overheating has been fixed and they are a awesome pump for the price. Andrew is really dedicated to his business and the Chugger brand. I cannot thank him enough.

Thanks Andrew!

Latest posts

Back