Brewtech SS fermenting vessels discussion thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hi all - I finally have the permission to purchase a brew bucket. woo hoo! Just thought I'd ask how everyone is finding them now the dust has settled. Would you still buy one ???

Simo

SimoB said:
hi all - I finally have the permission to purchase a brew bucket. woo hoo! Just thought I'd ask how everyone is finding them now the dust has settled. Would you still buy one ???

Simo
Put it this way... I have a BrewBucket and a Chronical, and I'm just using the Bucket right now.

Keen as mustard to try the Chronical out, after I mod my fridge to accommodate it, but the BrewBucket certainly has it's advantages - and it shits all over my previous plastic fermenters. No aroma or flavour compounds absorbed. Yeast and trub drops out more effectively. Easier to clean. Highly recommend it.

Spiesy said:
Put it this way... I have a BrewBucket and a Chronical, and I'm just using the Bucket right now.

Keen as mustard to try the Chronical out, after I mod my fridge to accommodate it, but the BrewBucket certainly has it's advantages - and it shits all over my previous plastic fermenters. No aroma or flavour compounds absorbed. Yeast and trub drops out more effectively. Easier to clean. Highly recommend it.
Thanks mate. I want to purchase right now and I'm thinking I might. Waiting for the brewmaster for just a thermowell and longer tube seems silly.

SimoB said:
Thanks mate. I want to purchase right now and I'm thinking I might. Waiting for the brewmaster for just a thermowell and longer tube seems silly.
and the true conical bottom and ability to draw off ALL the trub

Seems like brew master only has longer racking arm and thermowell different to standard according to their site

Love my brewbucket, but as it's a tad smallish compared to my 30L plastics and some of the fermentations can go nuts, so to give more headspace I'm going to try brewing over gravity and "adjust to sales strength", as CUB put it, :blink: on kegging. Probably go for a 17L yield into the keg then 2 litres of deox water.

Losses to sediment are a lot less than my plastic vessels due to the cone feature so I don't think I'll actually need to brew very much over gravity.

I expect the size of the brewbucket is dictated by the American's historic standard batches of five gallons that ain't our five gallons.

Only thing stopping me is the loss of valuable fridge space.. going from 90L of brew able space to 40L max

Grainer said:
Only thing stopping me is the loss of valuable fridge space.. going from 90L of brew able space to 40L max
Get a new fridge and a Chronical 64. Problem solved ;)

Then ur limited to 1 brew with double batches.. I can ferment about 4 different brews at once with current setup.. they need to build a jerry can setup with similar base to maximise space

Grainer said:
Then ur limited to 1 brew with double batches.. I can ferment about 4 different brews at once with current setup.. they need to build a jerry can setup with similar base to maximise space
No they don't mate.

I have a brewbucket and have brewed 3 times in it now,I have found that if I fill to the top line 6 us gallons I can get 20.5 litres out to fill my plastic pin cask with a little tilting of the bucket but still have a small amount of beer above the yeast/trub.
The biggest beer I have brewed was a 1.052 porter and the krausen blew out the airlock so had to use a blowoff tube.
I agree much easier to clean rhan plastic fermenter and less bits to clean than a proper conical

Yeah, I use a blow off tube exclusively with mine - enables me to make the most of the Bucket's volume.

Spiesy said:

As far as the trub dropping out and getting clarity in beers, this is the first sample drawn off after nearly two weeks.
The trub must be packed real nice and tight-like down in the cone !!
I have NEVER had a sample so clear !!
That matters not, taste does.
It tastes great too !
Nice hoppy pale ale, trad ale and crystal 120. Hops were Simcoe and Amarillo.
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1411292444.995586.jpg

CF

I just cleaned mine yesterday (thanks Barleyman)! Doing the Tricleanium soak and then acid rinse.
After the TSP,the water was definitely grey and had some little blobs of oil that might have congealed a bit that I think I saw. After the acid cleaner, the water turned a blueish tinge. I just filled the bucket both times and gave a good splashing/ wipe down of the outside.

Can't wait to get it into action!

Interested to hear from other people with the brew buckets on collecting yeast - what, how and when you turned the racking arm and collected etc?

mckenry said:
Here you go Nev. Do not print this and put it up in the workshop. Nor can you pin it to the back of your cell mate....

attachicon.gif
photo (18).jpg
OT, but where are those tap handles from mate?

tiprya said:
OT, but where are those tap handles from mate?
I bought them from kegworks in the USA. They're Krone brand I think. They were just north of $170 for the 6 delivered.
Worth every cent ;)

OK. So I have my bucket, and I love it and havent even used it. reading through this thread, there seems to be a lot of different methods for passivation.

I have on hand Sodium Perc and the kegking phosphoric no rinse sanitiser. Is it possible to passivate with the chemicals I have on hand??

Cheers,
Simo

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1411462221.839704.jpg I have NEVER seen a yeast cake like this, and this is after a splash of hot water to loosen it up. Love my BrewBucket.

Latest posts

Back