Brewtech SS fermenting vessels discussion thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Perhaps a spunding valve would be of use?

1411562250206.jpg

Camo6 said:
With my Brewbuckets I'm using a 1/2" hd silicone blowoff hose that's a snug fit into the hole in the lid. When it comes time to CC I swap the hose for a two piece airlock and the supplied bung.
I tried CCing with the blowoffs left in but too much water got sucked up the tube. I didn't realise this the first time I drew a 'clarity' :ph34r: sample and, due to the slight vacuum inside the bucket, the tap sucked a heap of air right through the brew :(. I quickly closed the tap and to release the vacuum I pulled the blowoff hose out of the bottle of water only to watch the remaining water in the hose get sucked straight into the bucket! :angry:
For now the two piece airlocks seem to do the trick. Only problem is making sure I don't crash chill too quickly or the water freezes and another vacuum is created. One thing's for sure, those lids hold a seal.
They sure do hold a seal!

Glad I'm not the only one with those troubles, have done some similar doozies as Camo did. I once sealed the lid port off with a triclover end cap, then crash chilled and a few days later dumped trub. Was wondering why there was nothing coming out of the ball valve, thought the beer close to the valve was frozen, opened the valve even more to increase pressure on the 'frozen bit', was then greeted with a massive trub burst followed by a 3 second break followed by another trub burst.
Realised that air had to enter the vessel somehow in order to let liquid out, similar to a full, open PET bottle held up side down, short bursts of liquid out followed by bursts of air in and repeat.

I might just have to dedicate a Co2 bottle at very low pressure to the lid triclover port in order to deal with all those 'situations'.

EDIT: Insert quote

blair, I was going to dismiss you idea until I realised:

Building up pressure during ferment up to only a carefully calculated kPa value (not overshooting manufacturer specs of course), then once crash chilling / drawing a sample / dumping trub 'eating up that build up pressure' in order to dispense from the vessel without getting any externals (air, separate Co2 etc.) into it.

Seems to be a sound idea, will re-think tomorrow once sobered up. The only issue I have is that those spunding valves are so damn hard to 'calibrate' to a certain pressure. Wish they were digital.

Also, dumping trub after no-chilling and before pitching yeast (and therefore no Co2 build up yet) might be an issue, although you could always connect Co2 or better yet O2 to the lid port at that stage.

Shit, I hadn't thought of that. Looks like I've got a little StarSan in my Belgian Pale Ale.

At least my insides will be clean after emptying that keg.

Florian said:
Also, dumping trub after no-chilling and before pitching yeast (and therefore no Co2 build up yet) might be an issue, although you could always connect Co2 or better yet O2 to the lid port at that stage.
I was thinking along the same lines florian. I also have a cross piece and was thinking about including a quick connect so co2 could be pumped in for transfer but would also work for dumping...... hmmm or maybe a vacuum relief??

I have a super long blowoff tube for the crash chill. Water is sucked up somewhat, but didnt reach the brew. I assume the headspace doesnt shrink enough to create enough 'vacuum suck' to bring the water that far. Its about 1m I guess.
For transfer I use CO2 via the same blowoff tube.

During CC why not attach co2 regulated at 4 psi or so, would certainly solve vacuum issues, I note I've seen systems setup with spunding and co2 attached, perhaps the best overall solution when each are set at appropriate pressures.

So has anyone had great success removing yeast from a BrewBucket without the use of anything fancy?

E.g. maybe aiming the racking arm down after say 4-5 days, letting some of the break material out. Then waiting for fermentation to finish a week or so later, and then sucking some of the yeast out to rinse?

Or is it better just to wait until end of ferment as normal, rack off beer then scoop some yeast out ala florian?

I don't think I'd reach any yeast early on with the standard racking arm. Maybe with the extended arm you could. My only hesitation would be turning the tap early in the ferment as I've induced slight leaks from the tap o ring from doing this. Its probably a case of me overtightening the nut but its not something you want to happen with a full bucket.
I did a CPA the other day with recultured yeast and mixed a couple of jars of sterile water with the yeast cake and poured it back into the jars from the tap. Too easy.

pat86 said:
Or is it better just to wait until end of ferment as normal, rack off beer then scoop some yeast out ala florian?
This. If you want to be able to dump yeast, you'd be better off with a Chronical.

I'd also be concerned about yeast blocking the tap, if you'd crash chilled and were trying to remove said yeast through the tap.

By any chance does anyone have a brew bucket in a Westinghouse RA 140 MR bar fridge? My current fermenting fridge is too small so to be able to get a brew bucket I must change the fridge first. Found one of these online but from the photos it doesn't look big enough.

sluggerdog said:
By any chance does anyone have a brew bucket in a Westinghouse RA 140 MR bar fridge? My current fermenting fridge is too small so to be able to get a brew bucket I must change the fridge first. Found one of these online but from the photos it doesn't look big enough.
Hey mate, I've got the RA 141 SR with the door shelving removed, and one fits. From what I can find the external dimensions are the same, so unless yours has a larger freezer and/or compressor, you should be ok.

TSMill said:
Hey mate, I've got the RA 141 SR with the door shelving removed, and one fits. From what I can find the external dimensions are the same, so unless yours has a larger freezer and/or compressor, you should be ok.
Great Thanks.

Here's some photos of the one I am looking at. How does it compare to yours?

$_57.JPG

AND

$_57.JPG

Looks about the same. I think the base dimensions (area in front of compressor hump) is the key. If a 30l fermenter fiTS in that space (ex tap) then you will be fine.

sluggerdog said:

TSMill said:
Looks about the same. I think the base dimensions (area in front of compressor hump) is the key. If a 30l fermenter fiTS in that space (ex tap) then you will be fine.

I had the seller check out the internal dimensions for me. They said the following:

internal dimensions are as follows. 400 deep 590 high and 430 wide. The compressor hump starts at 290deep and is approx350 at highest point (tapered).
I guess the compressor takes up more room then you fridge, it doesn't look like this one will fit the brew bucket due to the depth.

Thanks

The brewbucket is I think 260mm diameter at the base. My rough measure was 300mm in front of the compressor and fits fine.

Im doing my first double batch in a pair of ss buckets from grain and grape.
Very happy so far.
But at first i had issue getting the pickup into the tap without the orings sliding over it. I ended up warping my orings.
Garry from ss Brewtech was very helpfull and sent some extras out to me quickly (Thanks heaps!)
and the second lot fitted in ok.
Although its definitely easier fitting the pickup tube in to the tap before putting it into the fermenter!

I have two buckets which I store on top of each other inside my fridge (awsome!)
however, when I switched them over so the one at the bottom was now on the top, I lost seal on my top one, so had to put a bit of card under the latch (weird)

brewchampion said:
Im doing my first double batch in a pair of ss buckets from grain and grape.
Very happy so far.
But at first i had issue getting the pickup into the tap without the orings sliding over it. I ended up warping my orings.
Garry from ss Brewtech was very helpfull and sent some extras out to me quickly (Thanks heaps!)
and the second lot fitted in ok.
Although its definitely easier fitting the pickup tube in to the tap before putting it into the fermenter!

I have two buckets which I store on top of each other inside my fridge (awsome!)
however, when I switched them over so the one at the bottom was now on the top, I lost seal on my top one, so had to put a bit of card under the latch (weird)
Grain & Grape don't do Ss BrewTech, do they?

Cannot find it on their site.

I couldnt either and havent seen them in there

Back