Brewtech SS fermenting vessels discussion thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I listened to the Beer Smith podcast #91 about fermentation and the guest Chris Graham gives the Brew Bucket and Chronical a good wrap.
He talks briefly about them near the 6 minute mark from the end of the podcast.
Cheers....spog..

AAAAAAARRRRRGGGGHHHHH !

Idiot.

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1416023872.795055.jpg

Anyone else forgotten to put this in ?
Spose it won't make a huge difference.
Will have to be careful when kegging it.

CF

Anyone else forgotten to put this in ?
Spose it won't make a huge difference.
Will have to be careful when kegging it.
Without it it's just another fermenter albeit stainless.
Your beer will turn out pretty much how you planned but without the advantage of siphoning off the yeast somewhere along the line.
Assuming that you cold crash, if you need to get your full keg volume just tilt the BB or do a slightly bigger volume next time to allow for dry hopping etc, of course.

You seem to be missing an O-ring there CF. :)

Just don't loose the valve lock nut like I did. That causes lots of hassles & hand-wringing. :p

No worries hey, just feel silly. Not doing things properly irks me.
Ah well.

Those tiny o rings easy to source ?
Admittedly I haven't tried yet, but any info to make my life easier would be awesome !

Cheers

CF

How does the thermowell go with these things? Is anyone measuring wort temp to see if there is a difference in what the temp controller says compared to the wort itself?

I have the thermowell, set 1/3 of the way up the bucket...or there abouts.
I'm not taking any comparison measurements, just trusting that the probe is in there and set at 18, so the wort is at 18.
In happy with how m beers ferment out so not about to start faffing around with tests.

CF

I only ask as I recently put a thermowell in my plastic fermenter and there is quite a temp difference, especially in the active phase of fermentation (up to 1.8 degrees above what my STC-1000 reads). This can have quite a large impact on your finished beer and I am not that pleased. At least when I taped the probe to the side the wort was usually a touch cooler than the STC read not hotter (which is better IMHO). Not that this is strictly a BB issue.

Is anyone taping the probe to the side of the bucket and measuring wort temps?

I get what you mean now !
There are only a few of us who use thermowells, me from the side of the fermenter and maybe two or more with them dropping down from the lid.
Most others still tape or strap it to the side.

We all still make great beer no matter the temp measuring method I reckon.

CF

Has anyone else tried fermenting under pressure in their Chronical? I've got a cider on the go atm and am finding the pressure won't rise above 1.2psi. When I gently press on the edge of the lid I can hear gas escaping. I know it's not a pressure vessel but you would think it would be able to hold 5psi as per manufacturers transfer guidelines.

Not a massive deal just a little something I thought I'd mention.

blair said:
Has anyone else tried fermenting under pressure in their Chronical? I've got a cider on the go atm and am finding the pressure won't rise above 1.2psi. When I gently press on the edge of the lid I can hear gas escaping. I know it's not a pressure vessel but you would think it would be able to hold 5psi as per manufacturers transfer guidelines.

Not a massive deal just a little something I thought I'd mention.
Be very careful. Anything above 5psi and you risk damaging your unit and voiding your warranty.

I would only use pressure for transferring.

I can smell the 17 gallon ,I have a feeling of a courier tomorrow.
Sav

Wait until you fall in love with cleaning it :blink:

No joke, it becomes another process that you will enjoy - well I do...

Shut up - you cant judge me.

Monday for me I just want too see it.
I've always been inpatient.
Sav

HeavyNova said:
My first brew for my Chronical is about one week into the ferment. I didn't know I could love stainless steel so much!

Do you feel like a pro now lol.
7 or 17 mate.
Sav

Back