Brewtech SS fermenting vessels discussion thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Newerabrewing said:
Besides the valve differing of opinions I would be interested to hear about what improvements you think could be made to either the bucket or the chronicals I have several small beer related prizes for the top five ideas on what we could do better.
I would like a vertical window in the chronical. From about the 60L mark to just above the top of the cone. This allows us to see fermentation (how many 'my chronical airlock is not bubbling' threads can we have :lol: ) and also when draining we can watch to see when to turn the racking arm, or stop draining if it had a massive dry hop, to avoid the crud going into the arm.
BTW my T-shirt looks awesome. Thanks newera. Mrs mckenry reckons its up my sexiness from 3.5/10 to a 4 !!

mckenry said:
I would like a vertical window in the chronical. From about the 60L mark to just above the top of the cone. This allows us to see fermentation (how many 'my chronical airlock is not bubbling' threads can we have :lol: ) and also when draining we can watch to see when to turn the racking arm, or stop draining if it had a massive dry hop, to avoid the crud going into the arm.
BTW my T-shirt looks awesome. Thanks newera. Mrs mckenry reckons its up my sexiness from 3.5/10 to a 4 !!
Care to model it on here ?
I havent seen one yet.

Some form of simple handle on the brew bucket lid.

When pitching yeast, or dry-hopping, it would be great to lift the lid with one hand and quickly throw the hops/yeast in with the other. At the moment I have to use 2 hands to take the lid off, place it down somewhere upside-down to keep things sanitary, pitch, then replace the lid.
Only a small problem, I know, but it should only be a small engineering rework to fix it, too. Less time with the lid off lowers the vectors to infection.

Online Brewing Supplies said:
Care to model it on here ?
I havent seen one yet.
Here you go Nev. Do not print this and put it up in the workshop. Nor can you pin it to the back of your cell mate....

photo (18).jpg

When I clicked on 'like' I meant the bar, not the shirt (or the model, sorry).

Haha I was thinking the same. Stuff the t-shirt I want the font.

SmallFry said:
Some form of simple handle on the brew bucket lid.

When pitching yeast, or dry-hopping, it would be great to lift the lid with one hand and quickly throw the hops/yeast in with the other. At the moment I have to use 2 hands to take the lid off, place it down somewhere upside-down to keep things sanitary, pitch, then replace the lid.
Only a small problem, I know, but it should only be a small engineering rework to fix it, too. Less time with the lid off lowers the vectors to infection.
I can open the lid enough with one hand to drop hops in. Even with one latch still on.

I pitch yeast before I put the lid on.

Florian said:
When I clicked on 'like' I meant the bar, not the shirt (or the model, sorry).
Yeah have to say I'd almost sleep with that model for the font and drip tray setup.... don't tell Cocko :ph34r:

TidalPete said:
In the absence of any suitable silicone hose I got a metre of this from Ross. It's food-grade & a nice firm fit.
Saw it at Clark Rubber too & usually available at local hardware stores.

http://www.craftbrewer.com.au/shop/details.asp?PID=2781
I've found that a length of 9.5mm ID silicone hose from craftbrewer is a nice snug fit on the 10mm step after the barb. There are a couple of flats on this section but the hose is flexible enough to contour around this and not draw air as far as I can tell.

Camo6 said:
I've found that a length of 9.5mm ID silicone hose from craftbrewer is a nice snug fit on the 10mm step after the barb. There are a couple of flats on this section but the hose is flexible enough to contour around this and not draw air as far as I can tell.
+1

Nice! Saw those at stilldragon.com.au, I was wondering if it would work. I guess if your sitting your fermenting gear in a fridge light exposure wouldn't be an issue.

sjp770 said:
Nice! Saw those at stilldragon.com.au, I was wondering if it would work. I guess if your sitting your fermenting gear in a fridge light exposure wouldn't be an issue.
I've got a glass door fridge coming, though... Not too worried about it to be honest.

The problem I have is that the whole assembly is a tad longer than I have space under the fermenter, means I need to sit the three legs on on some bricks or something.
Which is fine, what I didn't think of is that I can't just carry the fermenter around when/after filling, as I can't just sit it down somewhere when it gets to heavy due to the appendage.

Might have to build a dolly with leg stands to transport it from brewing to fermenting area. Certainly not going back to no chill cubes.

Or I could turn it around and attach the valve to the fermenter and then the sight glass once the fermenter is in place, but I rather have it the other way round so i don't introduce air into the beer when opening the valve.

EDIT: added quote for clarity

Just wondering why you need the sight tube ?
I don't need it at all, but I can then observe fermentation and also have better control over what I dump out the bottom valve as everything that goes through the valve goes through the sight glass first, therefore I can see what and how much it is. Dump trub, collect yeast etc.

Florian said:
I don't need it at all, but I can then observe fermentation and also have better control over what I dump out the bottom valve as everything that goes through the valve goes through the sight glass first, therefore I can see what and how much it is. Dump trub, collect yeast etc.
As a dump valve I can see the advantage but as observing ferment I dont see how that works?

As a dump valve I can see the advantage but as observing ferment I dont see how that works?
I didn't get it from morebeer but that's where the idea came from:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kgpcauFflA

with the glass door fridge , wouldn't window tint solve the issue, after all it's those UV rays your trying to avoid and that's what most tints claim to block.

MB

ED: sprung to mind you could just tint the out side glass of the sight glass!

Back