Brew In A Bucket Why Not Indeed

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All the stuff about your grainbed, Bribie. It isn't going to be much more than marginally better than BIAB (I am not saying there is anything wrong with BIAB).

Yes, Bribie, I have been going out of my way not to post much lately but I have been reading just the same. Here's the amusing part, it is solely the lunacy that you post that has provoked me to break my silence. People listen to you and you talk crap. You live in a fantasyland. I'm certain you're a lovely bloke and I'm not comfortable making such a serious personal statement about you but there it is.

Making beer in a particular way makes you a lunatic?
Jeez some of you guys need to get out more. Who cares!?! It's just frickin homebrewing, the worst possible outcome here is someone ends up with a couple of spare buckets full of holes!

I've met Bribie before, he's no more a lunatic than anyone else his age. In fact I found he had a decent sense of humour and was able to connect with a younger guy like me more than most old dudes. He's young at heart for sure.

I've also tasted his beer, and it was good.

I'm also pretty sure he brews more than the average person here. Seems like he's constantly brewing and doing the hobby that this site exists for. He's also constantly tweaking his brewing processes to improve them for him, or at least to attempt to. He seems to enjoy this and pass what he does on to other people. He's never preachy. He's never an arsehole, unlike his detractors.

Would I adopt everything he does? No. Flat out no. But that doesn't mean it angers me that he communicates what he does. It's a good thing that he communicates it. It's better than folding your arms and saying people are 'wrong' and giving no real justification and never pin pointing exactly what is wrong.

Does he conform to a clique? Probably not. Maybe that's why he has detractors. Same with Nick JD. I bet Nick JD has converted more people to all grain brewing than any of the pseudo-scientists and scenesters here.

I personally find Bribie to be one of the best posters here on several different levels. Entertainment, information, even a bit of light Internet friendship to pass the day. He's a good bloke. I tip my hat to him. There's a lot of shit ***** here, and even good guys turning into shit *****, but Bribie has never hurt a fly and he deserves more respect than you're giving him bum.

Seriously. This thread is ridiculous.

I think all bum is saying its is don't post things as fact unless they are. If its science or theory then say so, but be happy for critical debate. If its personal experience then say that.

But if you don't have science, and haven't done it, then don't get upset when people call bullshit.

But if you don't have science, and haven't done it, then don't get upset when people call bullshit.

I had science, but in the late nineties I sold it and bought art. Now I wish I bought philosophy.

People listen to you and you talk crap. You live in a fantasyland. I'm certain you're a lovely bloke and I'm not comfortable making such a serious personal statement about you but there it is.

Is this fact or personal experience?

motivator7094cc2638e48215739ae0d1e2f7787f4aa46480.jpg

So much fear in this thread.

Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering.

....remember, it's only about buckets.....

Here's a list of things I'll be measuring during my experiment (OMG SCIENCE). If anyone wants me to measure more things let me know.

- Begin process
1 - Starting water temp
2 - Starting water level
- Put bucket in
3 - Bucket in temp outside bucket
4 - Bucket in temp inside bucket
5 - Bucket in water level
- Dough in
6 - Grain in temp outside bucket
7 - Grain in temp inside bucket
8 - Grain in water level
- Mash for 60 minutes
9 - End mash temp outside bucket
10 - End mash temp inside bucket
11 - End mash SG outside bucket
12 - End mash SG inside bucket
- Raise bucket and fully drain
13 - SG of wort in urn
14 - SG of final drips from bucket
15 - level of wort in urn
16 - Sample of wort in glass (take photo)
- Pump recirculate for 15 minutes with urn set to 'mash out' temps.
17 - Temperature at pump outlet
- Turn off pump and fully drain
18 - SG in urn
19 - level of wort in urn
20 - Sample of wort in glass (take photo)
- If level is less than desired pre-boil volume rinse grain with the amount of water needed at mash out temps
21 - SG of first drips
22 - SG of last drips
23 - SG of wort in urn
24 - level of wort in urn
- Repeat rinse if needed

please also confirm the size AND colour of your underwear as this will surely affect your SG after mashout...

i'm confused. are you putting the bucket back in at one point? be for you run your pump?

Here's a list of things I'll be measuring during my experiment (OMG SCIENCE). If anyone wants me to measure more things let me know.

- Begin process
1 - Starting water temp
2 - Starting water level
- Put bucket in
3 - Bucket in temp outside bucket
4 - Bucket in temp inside bucket
5 - Bucket in water level
- Dough in
6 - Grain in temp outside bucket
7 - Grain in temp inside bucket
8 - Grain in water level
- Mash for 60 minutes
9 - End mash temp outside bucket
10 - End mash temp inside bucket
11 - End mash SG outside bucket
12 - End mash SG inside bucket
- Raise bucket and fully drain
13 - SG of wort in urn
14 - SG of final drips from bucket
15 - level of wort in urn
16 - Sample of wort in glass (take photo)
- Pump recirculate for 15 minutes with urn set to 'mash out' temps.
17 - Temperature at pump outlet
- Turn off pump and fully drain
18 - SG in urn
19 - level of wort in urn
20 - Sample of wort in glass (take photo)
- If level is less than desired pre-boil volume rinse grain with the amount of water needed at mash out temps
21 - SG of first drips
22 - SG of last drips
23 - SG of wort in urn
24 - level of wort in urn
- Repeat rinse if needed

i'm confused. are you putting the bucket back in at one point? be for you run your pump?

Nope, the bucket sits fully in the urn during the mash. After the mash it is set so that the bottom of the bucket is slightly higher than the wort level for pre-boil, so that the bucket never sits in the wort. Then the bucket is in the same exact position during the recirculation process (above the wort, not in it).

The recirculation process is being done as a part of my experiment to determine whether it adds to the process in any way, hence all the measurements. If it doesn't add to clarity, efficiency etc in any way then I won't ever be doing it again.

I'm open minded as to other experiments if anyone has any requests or ideas.

Also obviously if the recirculation process is worth doing, the next time I brew I'll immediately start recirculating after lifting the bucket in to its raised position rather than waiting for it to fully drain. The reason this time I'm going to wait until it's fully drained is so that I can measure the performance of this system without the pump and compare it to with the pump / rinse cycle.

Are you going to try and compare recirculation with bucket in the wort with bucket just out of the wort?

Post examples of where this has happened
What. I can't try and sum up someones point that I agree with in my own words. I'm sure bum isn't shy and will tell me if i'm mistaken.

Look forward to reading about the results.

Latest posts

Back