Brew In A Bucket Why Not Indeed

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jeez.... good thing we aren't doing open heart surgery here or flying a rocket ship hey!

ok, why is it that this is a BIAB vs 3V argument? its not. I dont know about other people, but I'm certainly not arguing that. i think that 3V and BIAB are roughly equivalent - both have good points that the other misses and visa versa. this is about what one or two brewers are proposing to do, and the good vs bad potential of their specific intended tecnique. its not a ******* philospophical arguament - its just a discussion of the potential good and bad aspects of a specific technique that is being proposed.

The bucket with a false bottom is NOT a direct substitute for a bag - if you think it is, I'm sorry, but that just demonstrates that you have **** all idea what you are talking about. There are a number of people who have replaced "bags" with solid mesh cylinders - thats a driect replacement! and quite frankly, if you cant see where the two things are different, **** you, you really really don't know what you are talking about and i dont care if you disagree with that, its because you are ill informed. Do some ******* research or just find a brewing guru to listen to, technical debate is beyond you.

I'm sick of being nice about this - I've tried to avoid saying in my not so discreet way, what Spillsmostofit said in his typically understated kind of way --- if you find the bag hard, you're doing it wrong. Its easy, I can do it easily, if you cant - its because you dont do it like me, you should and then it would be easy. You can bitch and moan all you like, but i have an easy, efficient and short brewday using BIAB. If you dont its because i am right and you are wrong.

seriously - i've really tried to be even handed and reasonable aboout this. But I'm sorry - all i can see is tools who have taken an inherrently simple process, made it it hard, then bitched about how hard it is. ****!!! BIAB is easy! if you find it hard, thats you - just you - not the process - you.

Thats what all the debate is about - not people who genuinely think that there is genuinely something to discuss, just people who were trying to dance around the issue of them thinking you are ******* it up and trying to break the news to you gently. Bum doesn't play that game, ever. I do, but I've had enough - **** you, you're wrong. One of these days you'll actually know enough to know why you're wrong, but given what I've seen so far - it'll be a while before you're even at that point.

Mark - once again - surely finally... your intended tecnique is fine, reasonably good even. Just not the absolute best! Can you live with that? Because thats all anyone is saying, even given my current frustration, thats all I'm saying. It WILL WORK. I just cant be bothered pretending that i empathise with the reasoning anymore, the technical merit remains unchanged.

For this tirade, Thirsty gets the Official Bunny With The Bog Roll On Its Head Award for giving too much of a **** about shit that doesn't matter. Congratulations, Thirsty! SPEECH! Oh, wait, we've heard enough.

rabbit.jpg

who really gives a **** how you brew ?

brew in a bucket, brew in an urn, brew in a ******* shoe box, just do it.

who really gives a **** how you brew ?

Thirsty does. It means a lot to him that we do it the way he has delineated as the righteous and true and hallowed method to which the brewer should be subscribed.

Any deviation is inherently moronic and blasphemous.

Frankly, all those who choose to deviate from Thirsty's ten brewing commandments shall be smoted to the firey pits of hell where they will suffer an eternity of rabid horny pancake bunnies.

I can't wait for PissedoffPatty, or PiztolPat or whatever bigdick name he uses to chime in and cast us all into the magma for upsetting His method.

I agree with you wholeheartedly, Yardy (first time for everything). Make beer, not war.

Brewday so far is going about the same time frame and easiness index as a standard BIAB, please excuse the massive photos because I'm on another machine and stupid slow wanky Windows7 doesn't offer the good old powertoys JPEG shrinker that they did with XP.

100_0464.jpg

I used Nala's excellent idea to split the handle and araldite it to get a good central lift. I added a snap hook which lives on the bucket from now on.

100_0465.jpg

Now, this is for Mark. With BIU (Bucket in Urn) if you do full volume liquor using a Masters / Queen brand handy pail you are going to be limited to around a 5K grain bill otherwise your inner bucket isn't going to have enough volume. Here's what 4.5k ended up as, and as you can imagine anything more is going to overflow the bucket.

100_0469.jpg

However no problem because you can mash stronger and do a mini sparge with a couple of electric kettles at the end in much the same way as BIAB can include a wee dunk sparge.

I made up an urn parka with a windscreen protector. Guess what, NO temp drop, bang on 66 at the end of the mash. B)
100_0468.jpg

After some jugging, acceptable clarity.

100_0471.jpg

Hoisted and actually did a kettle sparge because I couldn't squeeze as I did with the bag, so just sparged through till I was at the same level I would have got to with squeezing.

Being a self powered urn, the extra "dicking around" can be done in the time that the urn is coming up to the boil, so no extra time on the brewday, and as the wort is getting hotter you get a bit of a "mashout" type benefit towards the end.

Cleanup very easy - tip onto garden bed, hose everything and just rinse out the hopsock bag that was part of the false bottom assembly, it's now in there as the hoppo, pegged around the rim of the urn.

So far, I'm happy. It's an enhanced BIAB with little extra fuss, but not a quantum leap in any direction. Not much extra effort, better clarity, easier cleanup, better temperature stability. All good so far but don't know if I'll go the pump now, but let's see how the yield goes.

Cubed. 75% efficiency, all targets hit.

:beer:

edit: 4 hours from dough in .

My test run at a BIBOD (bucket in bucket of death) was a less successful. A lot of grain made it into the lower bucket, even after changing from just the 1/8 holes to a spatter guard mesh. Looks like voile over the mesh screen is a must hey Bribie?

It was jammed in with the outer ring off the guard acting like a big circlip, but it is possible. At least I now know what astringency tastes like.

so the advantage of this is simply so you can avoid the use of a hook or piece of rope? i can see some sense in that just. im not sure were in the thread i read it or if i even did but was under the belief that the bucket was to enable a way of recirculating the wort for a clearer wort into the kettle and allowing a sparge if believed neccasary in witch case i still stand by earlier comments.
Yes, the reason i am doing this is to avoid a hook or piece of rope as its not feasible to install one in my brew area (this makes me 'wrong' according to tb). I will also be dispationately testing a recirculating system to see what happens. Ive stated this numerous times before.

Me, bribie, tim and others are not brewing together and our systems, philosophies and methods are all differrent to some extent. We may also have different motivations. For example bribie is using a skyhook and tim is using a pump. Im not sure if this is causing the skim readers some confusion.

It was jammed in with the outer ring off the guard acting like a big circlip, but it is possible. At least I now know what astringency tastes like.
Thanks, i may use a bag as an outer 'safety net' for my first experiment. My mesh is very fine but there is the worry that grain could get around the filter. If there is any grain in the bag ill know for sure without wrecking the brew.

If I could get a bag I wouldn't worry about it to be honest. I'd got bored waiting for the bits to arrive to electrify my 3V keggle setup so I started stuffing around. I think some people miss that point. It's fun to tinker & experiment. That's why I reckon it's a great hobby, so many aspects to get involved in if you choose to. Metalworking, instrumentation, chemistry, yeast handling, programming, not to mention actually making/drinking beer.

And rabbits with bog rolls on their heads. That made my night.

For example bribie is using a skyhook and tim is using a pump. Im not sure if this is causing the skim readers some confusion.

Also mine is all stainless and is a HERMS. I might call it my HERMIABU.

Yes, all this experimenting and dicking around and trying to do things that are new but apparently the Ancient Gods of Brewing had worked out a hundred years ago although never seem to post any useful resources that may be of assistance and prevent us from toiling away re-inventing the wheel.
At the end of the day the best way to get a totally consistent clear refreshing cold beer in the shortest possible time and at a very good price is to use the DTABWS* system as used by millions of fellow Australians.

Edit: Muddz, another good material is the 2ft by 2ft grain bag that Ross sells quite cheaply, you can fold them double to get a good filter happening but a bit more free flowing than curtain voile. I'm pretty sure they are the same as paint shop strainer bags.

*drivetoabws

No one is telling anyone not to do anything except to stop making fanciful claims that are patently untrue. Yeah, it'll make beer. It might even be easy. No, it isn't a best-of-both-words arrangement. Maybe close enough actually is good enough but.

Reading is fun, guys. Perhaps you should try it some time.

No one is telling anyone not to do anything except to stop making fanciful claims that are patently untrue. Yeah, it'll make beer. It might even be easy. No, it isn't a best-of-both-words arrangement. Maybe close enough actually is good enough but.

Reading is fun, guys. Perhaps you should try it some time.

That's a bit rich.

So, Bum, what method do you recommend to make your award winning beers? Rubbermaid esky? Gas Fired Pot? Decoction mash in an iron three legged pot over a peat fire?
Can opener?

edit: please quote which of my claims are patently untrue? The forum has been rid of your trolling for a while but looks like you're back from troll camp.

it's not trolling bribie, it's politely informing us that we are wrong. Apparently there's a difference.

Back