Brew In A Bucket Why Not Indeed

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sharing of ideas, even allegedly regurgitated ones is WRONG!

Thank you tnd for reminding all of us of this.

I'm sure I'll never share anything ever again - because everything I've done, every recipe I've ever created, copied or altered and everything I've ever brought - is obviously already done, and I will appear foolish by telling anyone.

And get rid of these new-fangled forum thingies - all they do is spread old ideas that everyone should already know.

Goomba

Can you imagine how crap the lives are of people who feel the need to detract from everyone else's efforts, whether the innovation is only a subtle change on an old method, or a different way of doing something?

To come onto a web forum and slam other's efforts?

Gotta feel sorry for them, really. Gotta feel even more sorry for their children.

You sure that was grain in a bucket? There was a pic recently where someone made an actual BIAB bag with a thicker material for the sides and a mesh bottom, and the grain pulled away from the sides very easily. A bucket's plastic surely would be very similar to an eski mash tun so I'm not sure how what you've said could be the case, but I'll definitely look for that now so that we know whether or not it happens.

Yeah that was me. This thread is so full of butthurt it's making my false bottom sore.

I'm going to try a S/S mesh bucket and putting a S/S mesh insert over my false bottom and doing away with the bucket/bag altogether in the future, but I probably won't bother posting about it here if re-discovering old techniques gets so many people offside.

Y'know what, I tasted my first ever AG on the weekend, and while it wasn't great and it wasn't like I expected, it was a good drinkable beer. Better than commercial pisswater anyway. I made a shedload of mistakes doing it, and if I can make mistakes and still produce drinkable beers, I don't see any problems with tuning a process to suit both my circumstances and tastes in beer!

And bugger it, I'll have fun doing it!

Thirty year old technology....I thought it was just a rumour about Qld but obviously it is true!!

Briber: Look Ive just reinvented something that has been common knowledge to the rest of the world for the last 30 years
*******: Thats a fantastic idea, how come no-one has ever thought of that before?
Briber: I dont know, just get down on your knees and suck my dick
*******: Sure, do you want me to hummmm.
Briber: Shut up Darren, ******* is sucking me off and I am enjoying it

Yeah that was me. This thread is so full of butthurt it's making my false bottom sore.

I'm going to try a S/S mesh bucket and putting a S/S mesh insert over my false bottom and doing away with the bucket/bag altogether in the future, but I probably won't bother posting about it here if re-discovering old techniques gets so many people offside.

Y'know what, I tasted my first ever AG on the weekend, and while it wasn't great and it wasn't like I expected, it was a good drinkable beer. Better than commercial pisswater anyway. I made a shedload of mistakes doing it, and if I can make mistakes and still produce drinkable beers, I don't see any problems with tuning a process to suit both my circumstances and tastes in beer!

And bugger it, I'll have fun doing it!

FB,

Give it a go. I suspect that your mesh will clog and you will end-up with a stuck mash. But hey, I could be wrong.

cheers

tnd

I'm going to try a S/S mesh bucket and putting a S/S mesh insert over my false bottom and doing away with the bucket/bag altogether in the future

I'm aware the whole plastic argument has been done to death but this is the road i would go as well.

FB,

Give it a go. I suspect that your mesh will clog and you will end-up with a stuck mash. But hey, I could be wrong.

cheers

tnd
Even though you are a wanker at least you have given some relevent and specific advice in this particular circumstance!

Onya Fat *******!! Personally I'd love to hear your thoughts and ideas about your false bottom changes and see how it worked out for ya. **** em if they can't handle it, I'm having a blast reading about how this system is supposed to work out given a fresh set of opinions after 20 or so years since it has been "commonplace". I'm wrestling with my own system but working out the kinks as I go, sticking to my motto of "well it used to make beer a long time ago for the bloke that gave it to me, I will not be outsmarted by a bucket with holes in it and I will get it working dammit!"

I happened to churn out my first full batch AG with my bucket-in-bucket setup. The bottom of the mash bucket is full of 1/8" holes and today's effort was 4.5kg grain and was letting some of the grain through. I recirculated via the jug a few times onto a plastic lid floating on the grain bed, splashed the living **** out of it in the process, and I repeated this 3 times for about 4L or so each time... :drinks: We'll see what effect it has but the buckets held the mash temp at 66'c the whole time, recirculated with the element on for the whole 2 minutes each cycle.

Notes:
  • The bucket-in-bucket system works well enough to make wort
  • When removing the mash bucket from the boil-bucket, there is suction and it takes a fair bit of effort to get it apart initially, then it's just a matter of lifting to drain
  • The bucket I have lets grain through, about 20 odd grain bits on the bottom of the kettle after the boil, next time I will line the bucket with the bag and have Brew-In-A-Bag-In-A-Bucket-In-A-Bucket-Of-Death-Single-Vessel-System, which is a whole new concept and means that the BIAB purists and the New/Old Bucketheads can BOTH argue about the idea....
  • The grain must have slipped through at dough-in, the mash was really slow to drain. I put the mash bucket in another spare bucket to drain and "sparged" with another 4L to top up to my pre-boil volume. Left it to drain, poured into kettle (yes, splashed the **** out of it again, heh I'm good)
  • Immersion chiller works really really well, until about 38'c, then seems to do **** all unless I want to just keep the water running. Need to look at a cheapo (read: free or salvaged) pond pump and use a spare garbage bin with ice bottles and water to pump through once the temp has dropped far enough. I'd rather get the wort to pitching temp asap as the kettle-bucket has cracks around the top and will not seal with a lid to "no-chill"...
I really would like to know more about how people managed to brew their beer with this type of setup all those years ago. It seems that science and brewing has well advanced since then and the concept kind of faded away. There is no problem with brewing in a bag, bucket, esky or whateverthefuck you can manage to mash some grains in as long as you are having fun and making drinkable beer. Personally I love Bribie's efforts to kick this concept off watching it evolve from a simple thought (Bribie: "hrm, I wonder what....") into actually getting rid of unused gear and fine tuning a process which works for him, and which I personally like to read about the results and findings.

I'll be tweaking my setup as I go and this thread is a good place to see how others have tried and failed to implement whatever improvement they feel important, ie: mesh filters, pumps, skyhooks, etc.

Cheers,
Shred.

FB,

cheers

tnd

I think I will give it a go. Seing as My FB is 3 mm perf stainless, and is octagonal, 3 inches off the bottom of my round pot, and I have access to all available gauges of S/S sieve mesh from .05mm (which worked ace as a hop blocker, by not letting any hops or wort for that matter through) up to about 10mm, I suspect I'll screw it up once or twice.

Unless you've got some good ideas to point me in the right direction. My current hop blocker is .4mm mesh, so I figure 1.5-2mm mesh might be a good starting point for the FB or mesh bucket. Then I can dig it all out with a big slotted spoon and call it a Malt Shovel for extra brewing credability.

I will not be outsmarted by a bucket with holes in it and I will get it working dammit!"

• The bucket I have lets grain through, about 20 odd grain bits on the bottom of the kettle after the boil, next time I will line the bucket with the bag and have Brew-In-A-Bag-In-A-Bucket-In-A-Bucket-Of-Death-Single-Vessel-System, which is a whole new concept and means that the BIAB purists and the New/Old Bucketheads can BOTH argue about the idea....
Cheers,
Shred.

Why are you worried about 20 grain bits? Surely you could "strain" them out prior to the boil?
I suspect that adding a "bag", "mesh" to the bucket will cause more problems than it is worth (it will clog especially if you are recirculating)

tnd

Why are you worried about 20 grain bits? Surely you could "strain" them out prior to the boil?
I suspect that adding a "bag", "mesh" to the bucket will cause more problems than it is worth (it will clog especially if you are recirculating)

tnd

How would I "strain" them out when they are in the "kettle" in a "single vessel" setup?

Personally, I wouldn't worry about them.

If you feel the "need" then a strainer under the top bucket would work. If you put it under the grain in the bucket it will eventually block and you will then have the unenviable job of scooping out 5 kilos of grain. I can assure you its not fun.

tnd

Quote from the New Darrun:

"yip yip yip yap yip yip yap yap yip yap yap..................."

Silly annoying little man

edit:

Silly annoying little background rattle like that rattle under a dash that spoils every journey.

Personally, I wouldn't worry about them.

If you feel the "need" then a strainer under the top bucket would work. If you put it under the grain in the bucket it will eventually block and you will then have the unenviable job of scooping out 5 kilos of grain. I can assure you its not fun.

tnd
More actual specific advice! Take note guys, an arsehole can change its spots.

Hey ShredM
Any grain should float to the top just before your boil starts. Sieve them out then.

Cool mate, I'll check next batch. I didn't see any floaties when I started the boil last time however I may not have been looking for them as intently as I will next time. I'm still gonna try the bag in the mash bucket and see how it goes. Either my grain is ground too fine for the holes in the bucket or I need a finer filter mesh of sorts.

Cheers,
Shred.

John: Look Ive grown a new fruit?
Andrew: Thats not a new fruit, its an orange!!
John: Its not an orange, its a yellow Babouche!!!!
Andrew: Yeah....whatever

john: Look i'm going to try and grow an orange tree, i'm doing it in a bucket.
andrew: that's not new, people did that years ago.
john: really that's crazy, were can i find their results?
andrew: in the ground is the only way.
john: well i'll try it anyway, and i'll tell you my results.
andrew: yeah ... whatever. i'd have to have an open mind to except that

it's not about renaming brewing beer.. your missing the point.. people want to do this.. i've had the thought for ages... i dont care if it works or if it doesnt.. i have never seen someone try out the different methods.

Honestly I think this thread will probably save me a few hunderd dollars. because i wont have to do these experiments. If it gets close to what i want, then i'll do my own and decide for myself.

god this thread is funny!!

For the record I have spent $19 so far on extra things I bought specifically to test this method of brewing.

I bought the pump to flood my font but thought I'd give it a go with this first, so not counting that $40.

Back