Beersmith 1.4 Released

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AndrewQLD

RED ON WHITE IPA
Reaction score
The BeerSmith upgrade is now available here BeerSmith 1.4 for the discussion page and here to Download the software.
Some of the new features include:

- Calendar View - for scheduling recipes (also notes and events)
- Pricing features - for ingredients, recipes and shopping
- Notes - including tasks, calendar events and basic notes
- Late Extract Additions - including proper IBU calculations
- Customizable Brewsheet Templates - so you can make your own brewsheet just like any other report
- Ability to mix waters in water tool and also save water additive combinations for direct use in a recipe
- Ability to lock a recipe to prevent editing
- Recipe Save As command to allow changes without overwriting the original
- Quite a number of bug fixes and minor improvements
- Increased template options - for example you can put $STYLE.NAME within a recipe to get the name of the beer style

Cheers
Andrew

Just did it. Make sure you export any data you have (hops, grains, etc) before installing, unless you like using restore points. :angry:

The upgrade went smoothly here. While I backed up all my modifications, they were still present after the upgrade.

Not sure why they didn't with me. I had to export them, then import afterwards. No big deal. I'm running Vista, and all that info has disappeared when I've installed other programs before, so it may be that it's not so well set up for Vista yet.

Just checked the linked forum for 1.4 issues, and noticed that Stuster has already mentioned the bug regarding the IBUs and the style comparison.

will get into it when i get home, although i'd been meaning to email ....Brad is it.? i think 2 things that would be easy to add and should be there is....

BU:GU ratio
and
an icon or similar showing if you have removed the recipe from inventory

obviously i've left my email to late... :lol:

BU:GU ratio
and
an icon or similar showing if you have removed the recipe from inventory

The BU:GU ratio is there. :D :super:

The icon for removed for inventory would be great. Don't think there's anything like that there though. :unsure:

The BU:GU ratio is there. :D :super:

oh sweet, he's done it for the upgrade...!?!?! good good.

also, whats the consensus... do we need to export and re-import all our recipes and inventory etc after upgarding..? (or was that just a one off for Stuster.?)

My upgrade went smoothly - no problems at all :)

Just noticed 5,000 post..... I gotta spend less time on here B)

cheers Ross

Mine upgraded fine on Windows XP, keeping all of my Aussie grains and custom recipes.

Went well

I like the lock thingy,I have lost a recipie or two on late nights :blink:

Batz

I just bought a key for it today. Got most of it sorted.
How can I manipulate the program for BIAB?
Or isn't that possible?

Or isn't that possible?
No manipulation needed Hashie. I do one of two methods, depending on how I feel or what I'm brewing at the time:
1) Leave the Mash-steps section blank, and preview the brew-sheet. This gives me a value for "Add water to achieve boil volume of xx.xxL" (eg. 28.25L). This is the volume I mash with, then top-up again to this level after the bag's removed and before the boil.
or/
2) Use the mash-steps section. First step is usually an infusion with ~25L of water. Subsequent steps are whetever is on the go (eg Decoction, Mash-out, etc). The preview brew sheet will still give you the "Add water to achieve boil volume of xx.xxL" but it'll be basically the difference between the original 25L (less evaporation and grain absorption) and the required boil volume.

These days I'm tending to mash with ~24L, because this is where the half-way weld seam on my kettle is at. It's very easy to see when to stop adding water withing having to juggle a tap and a dip-stick at the same time.

Hope this makes sense! :)
:beer:
Tim

I just bought a key for it today. Got most of it sorted.
Or isn't that possible?

Hope you can coz I just bought the key too and plan to organise my BIAB brews with it.

BTW also told the author Dr Bradley Smith that I heard about the upgrade to 1.4 here so he knows where people are finding out about his product, it's only fair he knows :)

Cheerz Wabster

Edit Just saw Phrak response on the next page, whoops!

Cheers Phrak, it does make sense. I will try it both of the methods you mentioned and will also try and 'edit' a single infusion, to get the temps and times I'm looking for.

Cheers

Just setup my new version with a couple of pre-defined BIAB mash profiles:
View attachment BIAB_Mash_Profile.bsm
Only two profiles, but you get the idea and can customise as you need.
HTH B)

One thing I did notice was the default mash profiles had some unexpected temperatures.
Full-body is 70C
Medium body is 67.8
Light body is 65.6

Any comments?

:beer:
Tim

Version 1.4 hey.Better go and check it out before i update.Love Beersmith.

P.S Ross your medal is in the mail for 5000 posts.

Cheers
Big D

Latest posts

Back