Beersmith 1.4 Released

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello all,
Yes, I always recommend making a backup first.

BTW - Not sure if you saw the latest BeerSmith update, but we added equal runnings batch sparging (a much demanded feature) and also the BJCP 2008 style guide. Available on the web site: http://beersmith.com

I'm still looking for a volunteer to enter the Australian style guide. Drop me an email if interested.

Cheers!
Brad

Couldn't find the BJCP 2008 on the site! Anyone?

It isn't there as a separate file, as far as I know, just as part of a beersmith update. I got asked if I wanted to update when I loaded beersmith, and there they were...

Hello all,
Yes, I always recommend making a backup first.

BTW - Not sure if you saw the latest BeerSmith update, but we added equal runnings batch sparging (a much demanded feature) and also the BJCP 2008 style guide. Available on the web site: http://beersmith.com

I'm still looking for a volunteer to enter the Australian style guide. Drop me an email if interested.

Cheers!
Brad

Gees Brad, your memory is not too good :p , I've got it half done but had a bit of a time issue over Xmas, should be ready in a month or so.

Andrew

It isn't there as a separate file, as far as I know, just as part of a beersmith update. I got asked if I wanted to update when I loaded beersmith, and there they were...

Thanks Ben, all BJCP 2004 here, did an update from the internet and received this

Searching for Updates...
Update may take several minutes.
Validating Registration Code...
No new updates for BeerSmith.exe
No new updates for Grain.bsm
No new updates for Hops.bsm
No new updates for Misc.bsm
No new updates for Style.bsm
No new updates for Water.bsm
No new updates for Yeast.bsm
No new updates for Mash.bsm
No new updates for Equipment.bsm
There are no updates available at this time

Thanks Ben, all BJCP 2004 here, did an update from the internet and received this

Screwy,
I think you will have to do a manual dowload to upgrade to the latest version go to this link and follow the instructions. this is a complete upgrade of BeerSmith including the BJCP 2008 guide.

Cheers
Andrew

All,
Newest release of BeerSmith here (Version 1.4, build 036)

http://www.beersmith.com/download.htm

This release contains:
- The 2008 BJCP Style Guide Updates (Thanks to Fred Bonjour for building this)
-- BeerSmith should ask you if you want to use this guide, but you can always set the style guide using the "Brewing" page from the "Options" diialog (tools menu)
- A new "equal running" option for batch sparge - which results in better efficiency
-- Within mash profile details, Check the "Sparge using equal size batches" but uncheck the "Drain mash tun before starting..." to get equal size runnings
-- The batch sparge mash profiles were updated to use this as the default profile
- A Danish style guide
- A number of bug fixes to address currency concerns, display problems, etc

NOTE: The BJCP guide consists of material excerpted with permission from the BJCP Style Guidelines, copyright 2008, Beer Judge Certification Program, Inc. If you wish to access the entire BJCP guide, please visit the BJCP web site: http://www.bjcp.org

While we're on the topic, I've been tooling around with beersmith today (instead of brewing) putting in my prices, updating grains ect., one thing thats got me though is the hop price $/cg? Is that $/hundred grams? Couldn't find anything in the help section. Very minor issue, but its bugging me.

Screwy,
I think you will have to do a manual dowload to upgrade to the latest version go to this link and follow the instructions. this is a complete upgrade of BeerSmith including the BJCP 2008 guide.

Cheers
Andrew

Thanks Andrew that worked! Whale Oil Beef Hooked

.......Still no Yeast Pitched Date Field, that would be handy, especially for the No Chillers.

While we're on the topic, I've been tooling around with beersmith today (instead of brewing) putting in my prices, updating grains ect., one thing thats got me though is the hop price $/cg? Is that $/hundred grams? Couldn't find anything in the help section. Very minor issue, but its bugging me.

jlm, yep cg Roman/Latin Centum, Centi or C = 100

Cheers Screwy, back to tinkering around on it. I've managed to waste most of the day playing around, planning brews. Great little program.

Yes,
Its integrated in the latest release. Go to the downloads page and download and update your program using the instructions on the main download page.

Cheers!
Brad

\ BTW - Not sure if you saw the latest BeerSmith update, but we added equal runnings batch sparging (a much demanded feature) Cheers!
Brad

I can't find this,but really want too it would be a great feature
Batz

I can't find this,but really want too it would be a great feature
Batz

Jeff in your mash schedule just tick "batch sparge using batches that fill" and " Sparge using equal size batches" and untick " Drain the mash tun before starting to batch sparge" This will set up BeerSmith to do a proper batch sparge.
schedule.JPG
Cheers
Andrew

Hello,
Its on the downloads page - just download the latest version and install it. Upgrade instructions are also on that page.

Also - here's a quick article on the new release and another one on batch sparging. The equal runnings batch sparge is now the default option for all of the batch sparge mash profiles if you select these in a new recipe. In addition, you can manually enable it by checking "Sparge using equal size batches" and unchecking "Drain the mash tun before starting" in the Batch Sparge options section of any mash profile. The calculated batch sparge water amounts will be shown on your brewsheet.

Cheers!
Brad

Please forgive this sinner.
I had been using a dodgy copy of Beersmith but have just bought the latest version.

That should up my efficiency and make all my brews taste better. :D

Campbell
legal at last.

I even bought a copy of Vista last week. First paid-for OS since DOS 5.

Thanks Andrew that worked! Whale Oil Beef Hooked

.......Still no Yeast Pitched Date Field, that would be handy, especially for the No Chillers.

jlm, yep cg Roman/Latin Centum, Centi or C = 100
I'm sure that's what it's meant to mean in beersmith, but I'm not so sure that's what the unit really means. centi is usually used to signify 1/100. cm = one 100th of a meter, aka 10 mm. cl = one 100th of a litre, aka 10ml.

the kilogram is the ******* child of the SI system, as it's a base unit that already has a 10^3 prefix on it. 100g, according to wikipedia's writeup on SI prefixes, should really be a hectogram (or perhaps a deci-kilogram if you make up compound prefixes)... but nobody would know what the hell it was then.

haha.... OS Holy Wars!

While Beersmith runs pretty well under wine, I would personally love a native Linux version. There are a few circumstances (switching between Normal, Brewsheet, etc) that it regularly crashes in, and printing is a little tedious with having to export to html, and print under Firefox. Still... nothing I can't cope with for the joy of having a Windows free PC.

haha.... OS Holy Wars!

While Beersmith runs pretty well under wine, I would personally love a native Linux version. There are a few circumstances (switching between Normal, Brewsheet, etc) that it regularly crashes in, and printing is a little tedious with having to export to html, and print under Firefox. Still... nothing I can't cope with for the joy of having a Windows free PC.

I thought there was a linux version of everything!!

Back