AHB Articles: Vic X-mas In July 2010 Case Swap

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Or everyone could just put them in BrewToolz and then we wouldn't need a new thread. ;)

Thanks Wolfy

Keen to get people to give it a go, and give some feed back (good bad or otherwise).

Think that brewtoolz should support the caseswap recipe thread not necessarily replace it.

In the longer term I am planning a few new features that might make it better suited for the whole caseswap experience. Including:
- Allowing any user to provide feedback on your brewlog in the "Tastings" area. Also allows for a score out of 50 (as per most beer judging comps).
- Tagging recipes and brewlogs so you could clearly mark it as "AHB VIC X-mas in July 2010 Case Swap" and easily view all the recipes and brewlogs.

If people are interested I will try and get this done before the actual case swap date.

When it works :blink:

Nevertheless wtf would we enter our caseswap recipes there?

I have to admit we that our testing regime is a bit on the light side.

Last time I think you tried it Haysie it was almost completely un-usable in Internet Explorer. There has been a fair bit more focus put on this in the last month or so. Hopefully now most of the worst of these problems have been resolved. Though it does run much better in Firefox though.

I am trying to get people with more web dev experience involved who actually know how to address these problems properly ( ... any volunteers? :) ).

On the plus side we have added can Kit support, so any Kit and bits brewers can also add recipes now.

Also for the person that tried and got the error in the Print-text screen today, I put a patch on for that tonight too.

ESB bottled. It looks like a return to form for me, I haven't been this happy with a beer for quite a long time. This beer reminds me why I started brewing, hopefully you guys like it.

Now to name it - having a hard time choosing :

I Think I Might Be Able To Be Enthusiastic About English Things Again Bitter
-or-
Me? Bitter?

:icon_cheers:

Keen to get people to give it a go, and give some feed back (good bad or otherwise).
I was happy to try it, unfortunately I'm not comfortable commenting until I have enough good things to say or can offer help/support to fix the things that I'd like to see done.
When it works :blink:

Nevertheless wtf would we enter our caseswap recipes there?
It worked well enough for me, and I'm happy to help/support the efforts of other AHB members if I can, even if it's in some small way like testing something online.

If/when everything is working correctly, I hope/imagine it would be a very useful tool to create and share recipes (but it would need to be the equal to BeerSmith for me to use exclusively).
I can also hope/imagine a scenario in the not-to-distant future where a 'login' to the new competition registration system allows a one-click-entry by linking to BrewToolz where the 'system' collects, creates and enters my beer.

It's possible neither of those things will happen, but without help/support/ideas/suggestions and feedback there is very little hope it will ever happen at all, so why not encourage or at least suggest people try it.

Unfortunately I am pulling out of the swap. I brewed a test beer of my swap then brewed the full version.

I have nearly finished drinking the test version and it's too nice to waste on a whole bunch of other people.

I am not serious (about the pulling out part - very happy with the beer so fingers crossed the real version turns out as well and fingers crossed everyone else feels the same way I do about it).

Now ive just got to brew mine! <_<
Have no fear, you're not the only procrastinator around here.

Was planning on brewing an IPA next (stocks running perilously low), but going to have to bump the case swap beer up a spot on the brew queue.

Happily, should get done next Thursday, as I'm taking a brewie off work (birthdays FTW!)

I had a brewie booked in for next Thursday to knock out the case swap beer but some inconsiderate client is making me turn up to work instead now.

Gunna have to try and skive off work some other day now instead...

I was happy to try it, unfortunately I'm not comfortable commenting until I have enough good things to say or can offer help/support to fix the things that I'd like to see done.

It worked well enough for me, and I'm happy to help/support the efforts of other AHB members if I can, even if it's in some small way like testing something online.

If/when everything is working correctly, I hope/imagine it would be a very useful tool to create and share recipes (but it would need to be the equal to BeerSmith for me to use exclusively).
I can also hope/imagine a scenario in the not-to-distant future where a 'login' to the new competition registration system allows a one-click-entry by linking to BrewToolz where the 'system' collects, creates and enters my beer.

It's possible neither of those things will happen, but without help/support/ideas/suggestions and feedback there is very little hope it will ever happen at all, so why not encourage or at least suggest people try it.

:icon_offtopic:

Wolfy, don't hold back with comments etc. We can't fix stuff if we don't know what the problems are.

Testing would be a huge help. Can never really do enough testing ( ... and we really don't do enough testing ;) )

Also just giving an honest appraisal of the site, what's good, what's bad. Things that really put you off etc.

We are at the stage where we want to get some better direction from the online community rather than just implementing our favourite features.

Understand that people aren't going to rush over to this site until it least matches what they use now.

On that point let me know what you think is missing in terms of making it a more complete brewing tool.

I will note the point about the competition registration link in (add it to the project issues list). Should be able to work with Andyd on this, probably be 6 months or more away.

try and make mine this sunday. if not im joining all you bludgers and takeinh a "brewie" next week too. top marks to whoever coined that term too, excellent use of wordplay.

I'm starting to grow concerned.

My "backup" brew is to be bottled this weekend. It was supposed to be a vienna lager, but after nearly a week @ 2 degrees the colour is all wrong and it is cloudy as a mofo. It tastes great, but the presentation is fricking awful. It was to the exact same recipe I did earlier in the year (there is a thread around about it), and that brew was fantastic - beautiful amber colour, lovely highlights, malty, malty, malty, and just the right amount of spice and bitterness. The current one appears to be only malty the once (not thrice), with a tepid colour. At least the hopping was right. I think it was a mash issue. Mashed in too high (as in, I don't know what the fk I was looking at when I should have looked at the thermometer!) and had to add a sunken shipload of cold water to get it down...

My "experiment" brew that was going to showcase a mix of special b, styrian goldings and vanilla extract came out promising, but distinctly lacking, and needs far more work before I'd dare share it in a swap.

So looks like the ambrown ******* ale it will be, which is a fine drop (IMO, you gotta like fuggles) and hard to muck up, but it is definitely a brew best drank fresh, so it will be bottled the minimum amount of time before the swap to maximise effect. And with two "failures" (highly subjective term there people) in a row, I'm thinking I'm going to botch it now too :(

Wolfy,
I was happy commenting after using it many times albeit with IE browser. It failed dismally with all feedback directed back to CT!
CT has been working on it and I`ll revisit it very soon. Equal to Beersmith? hmmm its web remember.
I wont be on my high horse encouraging people try it, and if hands on feedback is in anyway dis-couraging well blow the guy for even putting it out there.

MY CaseSwap Entry Status
BO-PILS 1 bottled 5/5/2010
BO-PILS 2 bottled 9/5/2010
35 bottles

Have not labelled them 1 and 2, rather I mixed them up. The difference being 200 gms of wheat versus 200 gms carapils and generation 1 yeast vrs 2. My tasting`s find the second slightly better due to probably a little more yeast used and 2-3 more points attenuation, either one I`m verry happy to share.

Swapdate of 17th as I read the date is a no can do,( preorganised twin rivers fishing comp same weekend).
If anyone can assist with delivery of my contribution and p/up sing out or send me a pm. I`ll get the beer to you and p/up of course.
Cheers

Was looking forward to meeting you and sharing a beer Haysie.

Maybe we can arrange it for some other time.

Was looking forward to meeting you and sharing a beer Haysie.

Maybe we can arrange it for some other time.

Maybe a bit pissweak on my part but dates are dates. I missed Rook`s for other reasons but hey " I still entered something" which is far better than pulling out helta skelta at the death.
Meeting? Sure we wont walk past each other among 30 micro`s next time. haha

Pissweak is pulling out of the swap a week before.

Beer will be had one time or another. Look forward to tasting the pils.

Well im going to be kegging the 'little sister' version tomorrow. if it tastes the goods once filtered and kegged, i might just use that as my contribution. if its not up to scratch, well i might work something esle out in the way of the big sister option. :beerbang:

Ive got my brewing commitments under control atm so i cannot forsee any hiccups at this stage. Bummer about the fishing trip haysie! Atleast you know my couch is free for a fortnights time @ the fox. :icon_chickcheers:

If anyone can assist with delivery of my contribution and p/up sing out or send me a pm. I`ll get the beer to you and p/up of course.
I should be able to help with that - pending anything unexpected or unusual between now and the date of the swap.

Bummer about the fishing trip haysie! Atleast you know my couch is free for a fortnights time @ the fox. :icon_chickcheers:

I`ll be there! and thanks for the couch offer. A chinwag and a Knappstein at nights end should be entertaining :lol:

I should be able to help with that - pending anything unexpected or unusual between now and the date of the swap.

Cheers Wolfy, Understand we still a couple of months away, if your still up to it at the time, your on!

Well my "brewie" is now locked in for Friday this week - one double batch of Riggwelter and Galaxy Amber Ale coming up!!

Back