AHB Articles: Vic X-mas In July 2010 Case Swap

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My tester is tasting nice in secondary - just put it in for cold conditioning. London III seems to be one of those yeasts that works like a monster at the beginning then gets sluggish at the end. FG was 1011 but there was still a big batch of krausen in both this brew and the oatmeal made with top cropped yeast the next day. Both were racked to secondary at around 1020 too.

Hopefully brewing the real deal this weekend but will have a couple of back ups planned.

I have a sneaky feeling i might have underpitched on my test beer. <_<

Lag time for this baby was 24-30 hours and in my worry i top cropped some extra yeast and dumped it on around 20 hours into it.

Hopefully it wasnt some phenomena causing minimal krausen and this tester is good to go. Otherwise i might need to resort to plan B.... a different beer altogether. :icon_cheers: Rauchhelles anyone?!?! :ph34r:

Test batch is currently carbing up in the keg. A quick (un-carbed) sample whilst kegging indicated it's tasting good.

Cheers SJ

well im through 2 of my 4 kegs that i brewed as a test. those pesky kooinda boys keep drinking it all.

will brew the bottle version in 3 weekks.

well im through 2 of my 4 kegs that i brewed as a test. those pesky kooinda boys keep drinking it all.

will brew the bottle version in 3 weekks.

So what are you brewing exactly fents mah boi!?!

hope everyone likes citra and if you dont well you sure will after this.

hope everyone likes citra and if you dont well you sure will after this.

I know what your making... i know what your making! :p

I'll have to give you a bottle (if there is enough left in the keg) of my Mountain Goat IPA on Friday as a small thank-you for the mash tun (BW will follow) that i made using citra for an amarillo sub... devine!

Ingredients
5.40 kg Pale Malt, Traditional Ale (Joe White) (1.7 SRM) Grain 85.71 %
0.60 kg Crystal (Joe White) (34.2 SRM) Grain 9.52 %
0.30 kg Munich I (Weyermann) (7.1 SRM) Grain 4.76 %
20.00 gm Simcoe [12.30 %] (60 min) (First Wort Hop) Hops 27.7 IBU
30.00 gm Galaxy [13.40 %] (Dry Hop 3 days) Hops -
20.00 gm Simcoe [12.30 %] (10 min) Hops 9.1 IBU
20.00 gm Citra [11.10 %] (10 min) Hops 8.3 IBU
30.00 gm Galaxy [13.40 %] (0 min) Hops -
3.00 gm Calcium Chloride (Mash 60.0 min) Misc
6.00 gm Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Mash 60.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs American Ale II (Wyeast Labs #1272) Yeast-Ale (actually Rogue Pacman)

Im sure that looks right up your alley! Maybe save it for the Kooi blokes to try as well, I'm sure it will knock their socks off too! :icon_cheers:

Fents im really looking forward to a citra beer i have not had the chance to use it yet.

I dont know what Rogue dead guy tastes like but the beer i made is really nice out of the keg and the bottles have carbed up, plenty of pacman to culture for all in the swap. I reused the yeast cake from this batch and still no problem so it is clean.

Going to have to get some Dead guy from one of the melb mobs to compare.

Kleiny

Well I'm gonna go with my gut and brew something I've already brewed. The Golden Ale. First version came out way too bitter and hoppy for that beer (would make a good IPA, almost) due to not taking into consideration no-chilling. So, with a few tweaks, I'll be brewing my second attempt at it for the case swap.

I was originally planning a pils, but have since fallen for an ESB-style beauty by Dave of Greensborough Home Brewing. If I can coax this beer down from 1.020, I've got the PETs ready to go. Hydrometer samples are giving big promises..

I was originally planning a pils, but have since fallen for an ESB-style beauty by Dave of Greensborough Home Brewing. If I can coax this beer down from 1.020, I've got the PETs ready to go. Hydrometer samples are giving big promises..

ive been tempted todo mySscottish 80/- that blew dry lastnight but with my current timeframes i might be looking at bottling off the test flat tyre ive got atm for the swap over doing the big one! My time for brewing before the big day along with going overseas in June is making things rather tight to say the least!

I bottled my 'test' batch yesterday - it's tasting very nice, which is just as well because I'll be using some of these bottles in the swap. The final batch will be brewed next weekend.

Here is a pic

Left is Dead Guy By Rogue, right is Dead Guy By Kleiny

002-3.jpg

So mine is definitely darker, head retention is about same, Flavour mine is a bit sharper on bitterness but the malt character is so similar. I reckon rogue is a bit more rounded hop wise and slightly maltier but with age (by the swap) my bitterness will have dropped a little and it will be a bit maltier. I do think however you can taste a difference in the hop flavour between my saaz and rogues sterling.

However its a great beer and a good way to share the pacman yeast.

Kleiny

Here is a pic
Left is Dead Guy By Rogue, right is Dead Guy By Kleiny
So mine is definitely darker, head retention is about same, Flavour mine is a bit sharper on bitterness but the malt character is so similar. I reckon rogue is a bit more rounded hop wise and slightly maltier but with age (by the swap) my bitterness will have dropped a little and it will be a bit maltier. I do think however you can taste a difference in the hop flavour between my saaz and rogues sterling.
However its a great beer and a good way to share the pacman yeast.
Kleiny

looks like you poured the rogue mit hefe too! :p

Be good to taste her Kleiny! Cant wait. Im struggling for free kegs atm, who would have thaught! 2 months ago i had 1 keg full and 6 empties for 6 months straight! :ph34r:

Be good to taste her Kleiny! Cant wait. Im struggling for free kegs atm, who would have thaught! 2 months ago i had 1 keg full and 6 empties for 6 months straight! :ph34r:
<Opens can of worms>
Why do you need a free keg for the case swap beer?
<Closes can of worms>

<Opens can of worms>
Why do you need a free keg for the case swap beer?
<Closes can of worms>

two kegs actually.

One to supply beer for the day and number two so i can filter my beer into it, force carb and bottle. I could bottle direct from primary but i want to present the best beer i can, unfortunatly from primary wont cut it for me.

two kegs actually.

One to supply beer for the day and number two so i can filter my beer into it, force carb and bottle. I could bottle direct from primary but i want to present the best beer i can, unfortunatly from primary wont cut it for me.
I know, I know, just stirring, after the furor in the previous case swap thread.

Just be sure to *cough*Fents*cough* clean your taps *cough*Leigh*cough* beforehand :lol:

I can lend you a keg full of the Alt I gave you all at the last case swap...infected worse than the bottles :ph34r:

the cobra picnic tap will be stripped, nappisan'd and sarsan'd as i do with any beers im bottling from the keg for long term storage. :icon_cheers:

hopefully i can bottle enough from the keg for the 28 bottles!

Latest posts

Back