AHB Articles: Vic X-mas In July 2010 Case Swap

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
pfffft stressed yeast, is that the best you can do? got nothing on my infected cream ale from last swap. :ph34r:

pfffft stressed yeast, is that the best you can do? got nothing on my infected cream ale from last swap. :ph34r:

well it doesn't exhibit any infected characteristics.. or alteast from what i can tell. I am starting to come down with a cold which isnt going to help me (and ive got to shake before The British Ales Comp).

A thing to note: When you know what your top cropping doesnt look like enough yeast.. you're probabaly right.

Well my Belgian Triple (brewed in January) is still hanging about in Secondary at 4deg, held up waiting for me to extract a digit and fire up a yeast for bottle conditioning.

Unfortunately :ph34r: there's roughly 21Ltrs, which means I CANNOT fill every bottle to 750ml. Call me a tightarse, call me what you will, but you're all gonna have to accept slightly less than a full bottle of >8% liquor :p

I have not had any time to brew another batch, so banking on this being my swap contribution.
Now, shoot me down! ;)

Hutch.

Well my Belgian Triple (brewed in January) is still hanging about in Secondary at 4deg, held up waiting for me to extract a digit and fire up a yeast for bottle conditioning.

Unfortunately :ph34r: there's roughly 21Ltrs, which means I CANNOT fill every bottle to 750ml. Call me a tightarse, call me what you will, but you're all gonna have to accept slightly less than a full bottle of >8% liquor :p

I have not had any time to brew another batch, so banking on this being my swap contribution.
Now, shoot me down! ;)

Hutch.
28 * 0.75 = 21. Mathematics FTW

Sorry mate, couldn't resist :)

You can have the last bottle he fills then warmbeer :p

You can have the last bottle he fills then warmbeer :p
:lol:
Right-on - 21 Litres = 20Ltrs beer, 1Ltr sludge for warmbeer!
Will try to push out as much clear beer as I can, but not willing to compromise the batch with a whole bunch of 4-month-old yeast autolysis.

Geez, I hope it turns out alright after so long on the lees.

American Porter is in the cube waiting for some fermenting fridge space.

Used 500gm of polenta for the first time, and cooked it up beforehand. Unfortunately, letting it cool down to mash temperature lead it to go nice and clumpy, so rather than dough balls in my mash, I had lots of polenta balls floating in the esky.

Found out in retrospect I should have made a more "gravy" like polenta soup to add to the mash, ah well, brew and learn. Hope it turns out tasty.

Found out in retrospect I should have made a more "gravy" like polenta soup to add to the mash, ah well, brew and learn. Hope it turns out tasty.

I usually dump mine into the hlt as its 3/4 of the way to strike temp or boil it up first like making polenta (e.g. boil water, whisk in polenta and bring to the boil, then dump into the HLT. swirl it all up and dump it into the mash tun.

As you said. You brew, you learn. I learnt lastnight the best break strainer from the kettle is not a hop screen or some kind of braided manifold but simply whole hop cones. The wort came out diamond bright with thick 'egg whites' sitting ontop of the cones.. :beerbang:

I usually dump mine into the hlt as its 3/4 of the way to strike temp or boil it up first like making polenta (e.g. boil water, whisk in polenta and bring to the boil, then dump into the HLT. swirl it all up and dump it into the mash tun.

As you said. You brew, you learn. I learnt lastnight the best break strainer from the kettle is not a hop screen or some kind of braided manifold but simply whole hop cones. The wort came out diamond bright with thick 'egg whites' sitting ontop of the cones.. :beerbang:
Interesting idea on adding the polenta to the HLT. I guess you would want to then give your HLT a good cleanout before preparing your sparge water?

Interesting idea on adding the polenta to the HLT. I guess you would want to then give your HLT a good cleanout before preparing your sparge water?

not really, it all comes loose once you add the strike water and stays in suspension. Sure you might have a few flakes floating around but that comes off with a quick rinse. it also ensures you hit your strike temperatues if you exclude it from your calc.

Westagte had our club meet yesterday , and that also included a little mini club stout comp...now i put a bottle of my oatmeal stout in , which is my case swap beer , and scored 119/150...The BJCP hanging judge even went so far as to say " vey well made beer..very balanced"
I hope that all 28 bottles are just as good ! You blokes are in for a treat !
Cheers
Ferg

Westagte had our club meet yesterday , and that also included a little mini club stout comp...now i put a bottle of my oatmeal stout in , which is my case swap beer , and scored 119/150...The BJCP hanging judge even went so far as to say " vey well made beer..very balanced"
I hope that all 28 bottles are just as good ! You blokes are in for a treat !
Cheers
Ferg

:icon_drool2: Say no more!

hey fourstar ,
When are the results for yesterdays british ale comp in ?

Don't want to sound like a copper but keep this thread on Topic

Rook

Don't want to sound like a copper but keep this thread on Topic

Rook

Some are trying, others either arnt brewing or dont want to talk about it. :ph34r:
8 weeks to go.
Come on brewers,besides the 6-8 that have posted, how is yours developing,fermenting,bottling,tasting?

:icon_offtopic: Ferg, big call pre posting (119), brave man, good luck! Sounds better than my oat that the slugs had a feast on out on the back lawn. edit> Congrats on the club meet comp.

I've been a bit slack, I'll admit. I'm gonna knock up another version of the only brew (AG) I've done that I can say I thoroughly enjoy drinking, the golden ale. I've noted a few areas for improvement from the first batch, so it should be something decent.

Come on brewers,besides the 6-8 that have posted, how is yours developing,fermenting,bottling,tasting?
Don't know if I posted yet or not, and I cbf reading back, but batch 2 is in secondary and can be bottled mostly any day I can be bothered - it should be interesting (citrus and ginger in an Ale), not sure what others will think, but that's the fun of a case-swap isn't it? :)

Some are trying, others either arnt brewing or dont want to talk about it. :ph34r:
8 weeks to go.

:icon_offtopic: Ferg, big call pre posting (119), brave man, good luck! Sounds better than my oat that the slugs had a feast on out on the back lawn. edit> Congrats on the club meet comp.

First tastings of the tester were fantastic and I was happy and confident. Subsequent tastings have thrown me so while I have plans for my currently fermenting young's clone, I'll be brewing another batch of an American Brown next week as a back up.

One way or the other I will deliver beer that I'm happy with and that represents my best.

Back