AHB Articles: Vic X-mas In July 2010 Case Swap

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm mourning it with you.

Hope you put another one together in time. Understand if you don't.

:excl: Tonight I saw the greatest disaster of my brewing career and it happened to my swap saison. The glass shelf in my fermentation fridge shattered, allowing 27L of fermenting beer to bash open the fridge door and splash all over the floor. My brew is completely gone! I'm thinking about pulling out of the swap since I'm pretty unable to brew over the next few weeks. I feel terrible. :(

Ohhhh, HOW Convenient! :rolleyes:

Dude, really. That sucks goats! I have never been there, but i know what it feels like to see a batch go bye-bye down the storm water drain. <_<

:excl: Tonight I saw the greatest disaster of my brewing career and it happened to my swap saison. The glass shelf in my fermentation fridge shattered, allowing 27L of fermenting beer to bash open the fridge door and splash all over the floor. My brew is completely gone! I'm thinking about pulling out of the swap since I'm pretty unable to brew over the next few weeks. I feel terrible. :(

Lesson learnt, NEVER put a fermenter on top of a glass shelf.

If you don't get time to re do a brew, still come along and have a good day

Rook

If you don't get time to re do a brew, still come along and have a good day
Rook

Thats a given!

Rooky! Filtered and kegged the barleywine on sunday, managed to get two 500ml bottles of 'extra'. Deep ruby/burnt orange hues and has the clarity of glass! :icon_drool2: Tastes great too!

I'll bring one of them along on the swap for a taster. Fents, the second ones for you! ;)

Thats a given!

Rooky! Filtered and kegged the barleywine on sunday, managed to get two 500ml bottles of 'extra'. Deep ruby/burnt orange hues and has the clarity of glass! :icon_drool2: Tastes great too!

I'll bring one of them along on the swap for a taster. Fents, the second ones for you! ;)
I would have thought you would want to age that baby for at least a year prior to drinking?

Are you planning on keeping your keg full for a whole year?

Too tempting for me, I reckon bottle it, and send it off to a non-drinking friends place, preferably with a cellar, for long term storge :)

I would have thought you would want to age that baby for at least a year prior to drinking?
Are you planning on keeping your keg full for a whole year?
Too tempting for me, I reckon bottle it, and send it off to a non-drinking friends place, preferably with a cellar, for long term storge :)

Yes, i am! I'm going to CPBF her. I kegged for convenience as i wanted to filter it and when i get around to sterilising my 500ml bottles (yes sterilising, dont want to risk this bad boy so i will bake the bottles) i will eventually bottle it.

It needs to be a convenient time when SWMBO wants to help, as i'll be doing the filling and she can do the capping. Screw having to fill, pop the bottler somwhere sanitary, then cap. it will take me months.

To he honest it already tastes great in the keg, i can see the bitterness and the malt mellowing with some time which should round it out. She should be a good sipper in 12 months, very viscious!

Ive had it in cold conditioning for a fortnight or more, so she will be coming up to 3 months old whenthe swap comes along.

I'll make sure i leave you out when the tastings go around! :icon_cheers:

Ok, mine is picthed.. running a little late I know....

Brew day:

So I brewed it to perfection as far as temps etc goes.... ended up at around 89% efficiency, all good.

Went to clean up and find a bowl of hops - '0 mins'... Oh shit.

Anyway, The next day I keg a CA from my 60L fermenter so tip 2 of the 4 cubes of 'case swap' batch on it... [I brew 4 cubes at a time]

Tonight:

The double batch, 2 cubes, tapped tonight and is a little too malty/nutty for what I was aiming for.. not enough time to do anything about the 2 cubes sitting there ready to pitch, these are my case swap beer!... hmmm..

After the comprehensive testing of the kegged beer, I decide it is a great idea to dry hop my case swap cube while pitching, with 24g of Citra... So I did.

In short, I have no idea what the beer I am presenting will taste like!! All I know is it will possibly be the best beer EVER!

:p

Anyway, I went to extra effort and even cleaned me fermenter before pitching the cube ;)

In all seriousness, has anyone ever dry hopped Citra? How is it?

In all seriousness, has anyone ever dry hopped Citra? How is it?

plenty of times. its a beatifull hop as long as you didnt over do it....how many grams to how many litres?

still have not brewed my swap :( damn kooinda taking up all my time. if i dont make it on the weekend i'm chucking a "brewie" one day next week.

still have not brewed my swap :( damn kooinda taking up all my time. if i dont make it on the weekend i'm chucking a "brewie" one day next week.
Just siphon off 23 litres of your next batch of Kooi off into a cube and take it home.

I don't think anybody in the swap is going to mind ;)

plenty of times. its a beatifull hop as long as you didnt over do it....how many grams to how many litres?

if Fents desnt get brewing you blokes might just end up with 2 stubbies of kooi each :lol:

edit: beaten by warmbeer

Ok, mine is picthed.. running a little late I know....

Got around 6 weeks to be ready mate. i wouldn't worry! Assuming i have time tongiht before heading off to MG for beers, i'll be letting mine hit it the slurry after kegging my Haus Gorwn POR Ale.

Still got to get myself 10 bottles of Aldi Apple juice for the cider i have planned too!

Still got to get myself 10 bottles of Aldi Apple juice for the cider i have planned too!
Im thinking i might do a cyser for the xmas caseswap. the one ive got running now has cleared up to almost crystal clear and tastes great (now that the big blob of honey at the bottom of the keg has been sucked up and drunk, its not overly sweet anymore).

you guys know me to well...that was my backup plan, hope no one minds...still going to try to brew this citra single hop tho it got smashed at my house when it was on tap.

Im thinking i might do a cyser for the xmas caseswap. the one ive got running now has cleared up to almost crystal clear and tastes great (now that the big blob of honey at the bottom of the keg has been sucked up and drunk, its not overly sweet anymore).

As long as its an acceptable sawp 'beer' for the case swap (unless its a drinker on the day of course). :rolleyes:

Im bringing the cider as something different to consume on the day. A refreshing cider is always welcome for me!

There is also nothing easier than:
- $18.90 spent on juice.
- $5 on a packet of US05 .
- A Tsp of CaSO4. :beerbang:

you guys know me to well...that was my backup plan, hope no one minds...still going to try to brew this citra single hop tho it got smashed at my house when it was on tap.

After all, it is homebrewed! :icon_chickcheers:

The idea of tweaking some wort from a kooi batch sounds like a good idea too!

Experimental batch anyone?! Cube addition of Citra as it spills in warm! :icon_cheers:

As long as its an acceptable sawp 'beer' for the case swap (unless its a drinker on the day of course). :rolleyes:

when it comes time ill check with participants to see if they mind

A refreshing cider is always welcome for me!

i thought it would be a change from all the APAs that will no doubt be in the swap, and because there is a growing interest in cider atm.

I used Lalvin DV10 Epernay (Sparkling/Champagne) yeast and it certainly gives it a special something in the taste.

Im bringing the cider as something different to consume on the day. A refreshing cider is always welcome for me!

There is also nothing easier than:
- $18.90 spent on juice.
- A Tsp of CaSO4. :beerbang:
That Aldi apple juice ferments pretty dry. Mine ended up pretty much lineball at 1.000 (residual sugar offset by the alcohol, obviously).

Are you planning on backsweetening? I have to mix it about 50:50 with fresh apple juice at serving time, or it's just too dry.

That Aldi apple juice ferments pretty dry. Mine ended up pretty much lineball at 1.000 (residual sugar offset by the alcohol, obviously).
Are you planning on backsweetening? I have to mix it about 50:50 with fresh apple juice at serving time, or it's just too dry.

Mine was Right on 5% ABV when it was finished and was bewwdiful from a starting gravity of 1.044. Dry, but not like drinking an Arabs sandal! What did you use? Chapangne yeast? The attenuation of the US05 is the limiter here. (or i crash chilled anf filtered early?). So around 80-85% attenuation compared to it chewing on malt with around 75%~.

I dont see the merit of those using chapangne yeast, its already a notoriously attenutative yeast considering champagne's palate.

Using SAF04, 1968 or Yorkie yeast would be interesting too, especially with a hint of diacetyl! :icon_chickcheers:

Either way if it is too dry for you pansies on the day, im happy to take it home to consume if its 'not acceptable'. :icon_cheers:

Back