AHB Articles: Vic X-mas In July 2010 Case Swap

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
galaxy amber....hell yes! seriously is there anything this hop cant do.

Settle down Fents... it's not for the swap, but could make a guest appearance if you are a good boy.

@Warmbeer - nice one, there is certainly nothing subtle about it, but then that is kinda the point...

@Warmbeer - nice one, there is certainly nothing subtle about it, but then that is kinda the point...
I do kinda like it as a hop, it has its appropriate time and place.

Unfortunately, from first hand experience, I can vouch that dry hopping it into a dry stout is not that appropriate time and place. It's taken 12 months for the aroma to subside to the point where it's a nice beer.

Its ok fents, im weighing up of brewing a RYEmerican Pale Ale and bringing that to the swap as a beer for consumption. 30g Galaxy Flameout addition anyone?!

Im also pondering the hop bill i used for the MG IPA :beerbang:

Do you think i have enough rye in there Maple?!?! :icon_drool2: (40%~)

RYEmerican Pale Ale
American Pale Ale

Type: All Grain
Date: 9/05/2010
Batch Size: 23.00 L
Brewer: Braden
Boil Size: 30.90 L
Boil Time: 60 min Equipment: My Brew Pot (40L) and Frosty Cooler (38L)
Brewhouse Efficiency: 68.00

Ingredients
2.50 kg Pilsner, Malt Craft Export (Joe White) (1.7 SRM) Grain 43.10 %
2.00 kg Rye Malt (Weyermann) (3.0 SRM) Grain 34.48 %
1.00 kg Munich I (Weyermann) (7.1 SRM) Grain 17.24 %
0.30 kg Cararye (Weyermann) (66.2 SRM) Grain 5.17 %
10.00 gm Magnum [12.10 %] (60 min) (First Wort Hop) Hops 14.6 IBU
20.00 gm Simcoe [12.30 %] (20 min) Hops 16.3 IBU
30.00 gm Galaxy [13.40 %] (0 min) Hops -
3.00 gm Calcium Chloride (Mash 60.0 min) Misc
6.00 gm Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Mash 60.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs American Ale II (Wyeast Labs #1272) Yeast-Ale

Beer Profile
Est Original Gravity: 1.049 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.012 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 4.81 %
Bitterness: 30.9 IBU
Est Color: 8.9 SRM

Mash Profile
60 min Mash In Add 17.00 L of water at 72.8 C 67.0 C
10 min Mash Out Add 10.00 L of water at 84.5 C 73.0 C

Its ok fents, im weighing up of brewing a RYEmerican Pale Ale and bringing that to the swap as a beer for consumption. 30g Galaxy Flameout addition anyone?!

Im also pondering the hop bill i used for the MG IPA :beerbang:

Do you think i have enough rye in there Maple?!?! :icon_drool2: (40%~)
34% is a passing mark, but if you want honours, more study young grasshopper.

pointing you back to the word grasshopper to get you closer to the good grades....

edit for clarity: Cararye is a Crystal, and should not be confused with the grail at any time

Just cracked a test bottle of ESB. One of the best beers I've made, I'm really happy with the way this has turned out.

I won't get upset if people pull out of the swap at the last minute, it'll mean I can keep more of this for myself.

edit for clarity: Cararye is a Crystal, and should not be confused with the grail at any time

Oh but its a Crystal-grail.. like 18 Carat Gold over raw nuggets?! Shiny and pretty!

Ok brewers even though i'm not going in the case swap i'm going to bring my 9 litre keg along, what do you want me to brew

Alt
Blonde
APA
English Bitter
Irish Red
Cream Ale
Amber Ale

Rook

Ok brewers even though i'm not going in the case swap i'm going to bring my 9 litre keg along, what do you want me to brew

English Bitter
Alt
Irish Red

In the order above big fella! :beerbang:

Alt
Blonde
APA
English Bitter
Irish Red
Cream Ale
Amber Ale

Rook
Step out of your comfort zone rookie, brew up a smoken-roggen!

Alt
Blonde
APA
English Bitter
Irish Red
Cream Ale
Amber Ale

Rook

I have fond memories of Rook's Alt.

Guys,

my wife is away the weekend of the swap so I won't be able to make it along.

Could I impose on one of the guys from Melbourne Brewers, if I bring my box to the June meeting could I impose on one of you to take it along to the swap, and then bring me a surprise box to the July meeting?

thanks
Matt

Hmm,

<_< so i kegged the Little sister moments ago and honestly... im not liking it. Yep, not liking it at all. I have a funny feeling ive stressed the yeast a little too much when i had suspicions i underpitched and i think it might be confirmed.

Its got neuances of the frutiness i got from my CSaaz Pseudo Pilsner i did which ended up going down the storm water drain due to stressed yeast issues (the 40-45 deg week we had in summer and got forgotten about). :(

I will say it didnt taste spectacular out of primary (not all of my beers seem to anyway) but tasted 'ok' before filtering and now it just tastes... strange. i cannot pinpoint what kind of ester im getting from it.. doesnt come through much on the nose, but definitely on the palate. Hey, maybe just my palate is screwed after eating ma po tofu?!

Its not under attenuated, i dont have buttloads of a specilty malt to make it NQR, i used a yeast i know is clean on a repitch (the previous pitch was enjoyable.)

I also used hops im more than familiar with in quite a restrained manner.

4.00 kg Pilsner, Malt Craft Export (Joe White) (1.7 SRM) Grain 73.39 %
0.35 kg Biscuit Malt (23.0 SRM) Grain 6.42 %
0.35 kg Carafoam (Weyermann) (2.0 SRM) Grain 6.42 %
0.35 kg Caramalt (Joe White) (17.3 SRM) Grain 6.42 %
0.35 kg Munich I (Weyermann) (7.1 SRM) Grain 6.42 %
0.05 kg Carafa Special III (Weyermann) (470.0 SRM) Grain 0.92 %
10.00 gm Magnum [12.10 %] (60 min) (First Wort Hop) Hops 14.5 IBU
20.00 gm Simcoe [12.20 %] (20 min) Hops 16.1 IBU
30.00 gm Simcoe [12.20 %] (0 min) Hops -

SWMBO thinks its got a sour grapefruit flavour, i think it has a light goonbag/passion pop aroma to me and tastes.. well kind of passiona like with doughy, biscuit & toasy notes and a slight hop astringency in the finish (probabaly just because its young.)

Any takers?!

If it doesnt improve over a week, a new beer will be brewed.

- It will not be disclosed until the first bottle is popped post swap.
- It is another clone/inspired beer from a US brewery.
- It will be 6.8% ABV.
- I had one yesterday, for the second time.
- I had to change my underwear.

BEERS! :beerbang:

damn mate, hopefully it picks up.

Hmm,

<_< so i kegged the Little sister moments ago and honestly... im not liking it. Yep, not liking it at all. I have a funny feeling ive stressed the yeast a little too much when i had suspicions i underpitched and i think it might be confirmed.

Its got neuances of the frutiness i got from my CSaaz Pseudo Pilsner i did which ended up going down the storm water drain due to stressed yeast issues (the 40-45 deg week we had in summer and got forgotten about). :(

I will say it didnt taste spectacular out of primary (not all of my beers seem to anyway) but tasted 'ok' before filtering and now it just tastes... strange. i cannot pinpoint what kind of ester im getting from it.. doesnt come through much on the nose, but definitely on the palate. Hey, maybe just my palate is screwed after eating ma po tofu?!

Its not under attenuated, i dont have buttloads of a specilty malt to make it NQR, i used a yeast i know is clean on a repitch (the previous pitch was enjoyable.)

I also used hops im more than familiar with in quite a restrained manner.

4.00 kg Pilsner, Malt Craft Export (Joe White) (1.7 SRM) Grain 73.39 %
0.35 kg Biscuit Malt (23.0 SRM) Grain 6.42 %
0.35 kg Carafoam (Weyermann) (2.0 SRM) Grain 6.42 %
0.35 kg Caramalt (Joe White) (17.3 SRM) Grain 6.42 %
0.35 kg Munich I (Weyermann) (7.1 SRM) Grain 6.42 %
0.05 kg Carafa Special III (Weyermann) (470.0 SRM) Grain 0.92 %
10.00 gm Magnum [12.10 %] (60 min) (First Wort Hop) Hops 14.5 IBU
20.00 gm Simcoe [12.20 %] (20 min) Hops 16.1 IBU
30.00 gm Simcoe [12.20 %] (0 min) Hops -

SWMBO thinks its got a sour grapefruit flavour, i think it has a light goonbag/passion pop aroma to me and tastes.. well kind of passiona like with doughy, biscuit & toasy notes and a slight hop astringency in the finish (probabaly just because its young.)

Any takers?!

If it doesnt improve over a week, a new beer will be brewed.

- It will not be disclosed until the first bottle is popped post swap.
- It is another clone/inspired beer from a US brewery.
- It will be 6.8% ABV.
- I had one yesterday, for the second time.
- I had to change my underwear.

BEERS! :beerbang:

I noticed "sour/gooney" got a couple of mentions, there could lie the problem. It is a wide bow you draw, Get an outside opinion before you ditch it.

Failing that, deliver us from evil and change your underwear again! :rolleyes:

Bring some Sunday - you should be able to get a few opinions.

Sounds like a plan. I must say i had some later lastnight after indoor cricket and it wasnt exactly the same as what i had described, it was however still quite estery. i think the low pitching rate may be the reason for this one being a little NQR.

The more i think about it, the more i want to brew the other beer ove the fat tyre beer. :D

Latest posts

Back