2017 SEQ Christmas Case Swap - Tasting thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
6 @Liam_snorkel - peppercorn saison.
Appearance: Moderate golden colour. Fluffy head on pouring, quite stable and white. Stuck around for a bit, but has receded down to a tiny rim.
Aroma: Saison esters. Spiciness, like coriander almost. If the peppercorn is mixed in there I think its mixed in with the saison esters and I can't tell it apart.
Flavour: Saison spiciness, prominent black pepper flavour. Nice malty sweetness here. I'd love to know the malts.
Mouthfeel: Quite dry, refreshing.
Overall: A spicy, estery, refreshing drop. That makes me want to keep sipping... it doesn't get too much after having a glass and I'd go back for seconds, so I will.
Minor suggestion, depending on how long they were left in and how much, the peppercorns could be toned down just a bit. But its only a guess, and how you'd go about that I can't say.

Liam 6 Pepper saison

Another solid saison. Agree with Randai about dialing the pepper back a bit, it overpowers. I'm almost perceiving the pepper and saison character as a bandaid fault. But I don't think that's a real issue with the beer, it's just an associated flavour in my brain so that's just how I perceive it. But the idea works and when balanced I think this will be a cracking beer.

cheers gents!
I think next time I'll use less pepper and put it in secondary rather than the cube. I think the method I used resulted in less aroma and more flavour.

Randai - the malt bill:
3kg BB ale, 2kg wey wheat, 500g quick oats, & 150g caramunich (I think).
I'm not sure which caramunich I used as it was some I got from a BABBs raffle unlabelled.

Last edited:
Liam 6 Pepper Saison

Very enjoyable beer thanks Liam, as others have already said the pepper is a little on the high side but as it warmed I reckon more saison funk yeast character came through and seemed more balanced.

I reckon the funny thing with specialty ingredients is most advice suggests to keep it subtle but if you put it in a comp and it's subtle it often gets missed and then you get marked down for not having your listed specialty ingredient. Tricky to get the balance just right.

Liam 6 Pepper Saison
I reckon the funny thing with specialty ingredients is most advice suggests to keep it subtle but if you put it in a comp and it's subtle it often gets missed and then you get marked down for not having your listed specialty ingredient. Tricky to get the balance just right.

Like most things if you make it right you won’t really know it’s in there (you’ll need to dissect it).

Specialty beers in comps are a mug’s game.

Bribie’s Tooth’s XXX 1950s Ale

Clean sweet malt, some background bitterness. Could easily fool a XXXX gold drinker.

Very, very well made beer.

IMG_3403.JPG

Also BribieG's tooths 1950's XXX
I echo Parks' comments. Lingering smooth bitterness and a slight clean honey sweetness. In the name of science I cracked a gold which has more of a grainy mouse piss aroma rather than clean sweet malt.

6596A6B8-AA5F-4296-8DEE-FF1647CCC89A.jpeg
8E24B5C1-5CDE-47C8-B31A-F9DEDA5DD075.jpeg

Last edited:
Pcqypcqy - yulebryg
Spicy malty thing. I'm struggling to put a name on the overall flavour other than it tastes like christmas and soap. Enjoyable nonetheless, hails!

A057D864-4638-40AA-816F-9394F6AFC47C.jpeg

I noticed the difference in collar size and stability when looking at Park's beer (Mangrove jack bottle?) and Pesky's beer, interesting when you consider that it was one of Dav'es beers that leaked when stored upside down. I have another beer here which I think used the same make of bottle as dave had as the collar looked to be slightly deformed and some of the little join points (collar to cap) had split, possibly due to lower quality/strength plastic......there was the slightest hiss of gas escaping through the separations. I use the mangrove jack bottle , the quality in general arouynd the collar and join do appear significantly higher.

Crowmanz - Tas wild yeast saison
Crystal clear golden colour no head retention, bit of a funky nose, dry but has some apricot-ish sweetnes. 2nd pour got a bit of sediment in which brought some bready character and sherbert into play. I get the feeling this beer would really funk/sour up given some time in the bottle and if I had another I'd let it sit at ambient for another month or two. Cheers

2C42E710-A437-4E7A-A833-7E2CF21E596C.jpeg

Crystal clear golden colour no head retention, bit of a funky nose, dry but has some apricot-ish sweetnes. 2nd pour got a bit of sediment in which brought some bready character and sherbert into play. I get the feeling this beer would really funk/sour up given some time in the bottle and if I had another I'd let it sit at ambient for another month or two. Cheers

View attachment 110339

Be handy if ya had two of 'em...and always happy to share.

Nickxb - rum barrel aged imperial American amber ale
it it's exactly as you would expect but I'm also pretty sure there is coconut involved.

6AA86102-2682-4719-9996-2452DEEF714A.jpeg

I noticed the difference in collar size and stability when looking at Park's beer (Mangrove jack bottle?) and Pesky's beer, interesting when you consider that it was one of Dav'es beers that leaked when stored upside down. I have another beer here which I think used the same make of bottle as dave had as the collar looked to be slightly deformed and some of the little join points (collar to cap) had split, possibly due to lower quality/strength plastic......there was the slightest hiss of gas escaping through the separations. I use the mangrove jack bottle , the quality in general arouynd the collar and join do appear significantly higher.
The "Woolworths" bottles are generally a poorer quality in my experience.

The "Woolworths" bottles are generally a poorer quality in my experience.

I think ours are Morgan's from the brew shop, and they've gone with a cheaper design since this time last year. I'll be having a chat with our LHBS about whether they can stock different bottles.

View attachment 110339
Yeah I was hoping to be able to say give em a bit of time but got a bit worried with the firmness of the bottles after only 2 days.

Back