2017 Hop Plantations, Show Us Your Hop Garden!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
gallery_12781_1423_1082604.jpg
My Cascade is about 1.5 meters tall

Stu Brew said:
Only mature leaves will show signs of diseases....but hey....you're a real horticulturalist....you didnt even ask about soil pH which is where any calcium deficiency would be coming in. Guess this is why people are listening to your advice? Over the actual qualified guys....... Good try though....you'll finish cert 2 eventually!!
what i said was i wasn't sure what was wrong with rockers plants and he should feel free to get an opinion from a real horticulturalist, implying that i am not one, i was only sure what N deficient looks like from my days using shitty acidic bags of barky potting mix. but as long as people are getting their advice from you, Stu, atleast they are getting it from a REAL A-hole.

A doubling in height over three days, 47cm on the 19th Oct and now at 1000cm today in a 60 litre pot.

1477116659533.jpg

1477116808987.jpg

Its hard to say. Its a call for the gardener to make. I have let them just go and found that many bines that are skinny and weaker will climb but don't bare any hops at all, but they do take up nutrients. Then again a broader lateral bush can put out lots of hops too.
One thing is you can cut off lots of short bines and it only helps the larger bines. You can propagate those cuttings too if you want.

If you've been growing for 4 years, then you've more experience than I... however I try try to keep my bine to line count at 3 or 4 max. Simply because if the line is too crowded it prevents the laterals from growing.

I tend to let them have a go up to the first meter, but the weedy, thin looking ones get progressively removed.

I've got around 40+ shoots come up now for my Chinook. Only six lines. That's worse odds than Russian Roulette.

Rocker1986 said:
I think they're ok now, that Success spray looks to have done the job on the caterpillars (as it did last year too), I've been checking the plants every day and haven't seen any return. On the packaging it says it keeps working as a residual thing as well so maybe that's why. I'll spray them periodically until they start really taking off. I think once they start growing properly they'll be alright too, they were last year. Even when the grasshoppers moved in they didn't really do much damage because the plants were growing so vigorously anyway. The winter here wasn't particularly cold but the weather is up and down a bit at the moment. We have a few days in the high 20s then it decides to go back to low 20s... I'll just be glad when it stabilises and stays warm.

I have noticed a few little black spots on the underside of some leaves that look like bugs, wondering if it might be worth giving them a bit of white oil just in case they're mites or something.
Just dump some worm tea or something on them.....wait for the light....getting warmer here now....they'll go when they're ready!!

scooterism said:
Should or do I need to trim back some of the bines?
How long until summer solstice there?? Probably needs a lot of nitrogen....they're heavy feeders!! Stay away from salt based though...as salts will build up in a pot and they wont be keen on that!

BottloBill said:
A doubling in height over three days, 47cm on the 19th Oct and now at 1000cm today in a 60 litre pot.
Looks a bit short for a 10 metre high plant. :p It's nice when they start taking off though. :D

2nd year Willamette is going mad, closing quickly on 3 metres (well, including the pot). 1st year Victoria is still sleepy. Too long in the fridge before planting, methinks. She'll perk up before too long.

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1477271335.770317.jpg

So me trellis is done!! :) guess its all a swinging comp from here?

Really not to keen on pinning myself against home growers!

Bit of a mow mow today works well we set things up to fit the rideon right down the guts of the lines!!

Yes its not like my stuff is 8 foot yet.....but thats all parallels of southern!!

treallis.jpg

ein stein said:
what i said was i wasn't sure what was wrong with rockers plants and he should feel free to get an opinion from a real horticulturalist, implying that i am not one, i was only sure what N deficient looks like from my days using shitty acidic bags of barky potting mix. but as long as people are getting their advice from you, Stu, atleast they are getting it from a REAL A-hole.
All good....im still better at horticulture than land management...so we're all aiming for something mate!!

hop_spots.jpg

I'm a bit worried about the brown spots on the leaves of a few of my plants. Is this something I need to worry about?

kaiserben said:
hop_spots.jpg

I'm a bit worried about the brown spots on the leaves of a few of my plants. Is this something I need to worry about?
Doesnt look too healthy mate, not anything i have encountered before tho.

Not sure what that might be, but is there any bugs or shit on the underside of the leaves? Mine started looking unhealthy recently, thought it might have been some disease or deficiency somewhere, nope. Checked underside of the leaves. ******* caterpillars.

kaiserben said:
attachicon.gif
hop_spots.jpg

I'd check for the obvious things like catepillars, aphids, etc. first. It looks like the leaves are being tapped.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back