2016 VIC Xmas in July Swap/Brew- Recipe

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Wayne

Can you get your hands on a big ol cast iron pot for over the fire

maybe a hearty stew over the coals ...just a thought

I can borrow my brothers UDS too. It's only 10min from Whiteferrets so will save someone bringing one from far away. I'll supply his beer and get him to operate it.

whiteferret said:
So the first runnings need to be enough for the cube list so 24 x 20L = 480 + losses we're looking at more than 800L hot water straight up.
And then do it again for the gyle 480 + losses about 600L hot water. Only rough figures. Anyone know of of a milk vat available anywhere? Genuinely interested myself in one of the older round ones like Bandicoot brewery has if around.
Hey Wayne. Just found this on gumtree for you:
Mixing vat Milk chemical detergent stainless steel double skin on Gumtree http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/1098795611
$2900 is mentioned.

So just a couple of comments from me:
  • I am attending and bringing gear.
  • At the end of the day, swap host has full right of veto on recipe and the recipe brewed at the swap. Good on ya Wayne :)
  • A compromise for the Barleywine vs ESB could be a side boil of cane sugar to be added to the cube to allow those that want to ramp up the gravity add syrup to the cube, doesn't need to be in the main boil necessarily.
  • A compromise to lower the gravity on a high gravity brew would be to add water to the cube, or add it to the fermenter. The main thing is keeping the grain bill similar.
Idzy

wooohooo my international trip was changed to June !.. looks like I can still go...I may bring my 9L keg of American Barleywine for tasting!

Curly79 said:
Nice to have you back on board Idzy[emoji106]
Good to be back Curly, it has been a hectic few months with a number of projects on the go and raising the next brew brat in the lineage, haha. Second generation brewer, I shall call him Mini Idzy...

20160205_111326.jpg

idzy said:
Second generation brewer, I shall call him Mini Idzy...

attachicon.gif
20160205_111326.jpg
mini??? Surely not.

We all know you like to do things on a grand scale.

I'm guessing that little fella had a birth wight of around 23lb and is already head and shoulders above me.

It also wouldnt surprise me if he came out with a camlock equipped quick disconnect umbilical cord.

I think you should just save time and go straight to calling him "BIG IDZY" insisting that it is alway wrtten in upper case letters.

Just throwing it out there for discussion, but are we better to keep things simpler and aim for a single batch at 1.050(ish) with a recipe of 95% pearle and 5% medium crystal with a neutral buttering hop at 60mins for 30 IBUs. People can the cube hop which ever way they want to take it.

I'm all for keeping it simple. As Idzy said, the host should have the majority of the vote. What you reckon Wayne?

AJ80 said:
Just throwing it out there for discussion, but are we better to keep things simpler and aim for a single batch at 1.050(ish) with a recipe of 95% pearle and 5% medium crystal with a neutral buttering hop at 60mins for 30 IBUs. People can the cube hop which ever way they want to take it.
Hear-Hear!

AJ80 for Pres!

whiteferret said:
Mick I've got a couple of camp ovens and can borrow more.
spent Anzac day cleaning up both of mine happy to bring with.

Master Whiteferret has spoken & exercised his right of veto on complex recipes & techniques. BRAVO!!

I've got a cast-iron camp oven & can bring it up as/if required.

Wayne, do you want me to bring my brazier for standing-around & staring into &/or some wood along with the malt? Plenty of room in the trailer...

BTW, we still don't have food organised/contributions allocated. Anyone NEW willing to take-on catering coordination?

MastersBrewery said:
spent Anzac day cleaning up both of mine happy to bring with.
Mate, you need to update your current location - confusing as hell to expect someone from Penrith NSW to rock-up to a Vic. case swap!

MartinOC said:
Mate, you need to update your current location - confusing as hell to expect someone from Penrith NSW to rock-up to a Vic. case swap!
I know however I am unable to edit that from the phone. My pc died from a terminal bios crash so the whole thing may as well be a brick.

Back