2016 VIC Xmas in July Swap/Brew- Recipe

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What's the size of the brew gonna be? 800L?
What sort of efficiency do we normally calculate for with these gigs?

If it's 800L, we might need in the vicinity of 6 sacks of pearl if it's ~75% eff. So I'd be sure that any recipe we're gonna look at would chew through at least 125kg of base malt (i.e.: we could pencil in 5 sacks o'Pearl right now, and add extra as we finalise the recipe).

Any consensus on style yet? ... ESB or Red (imperial)?

I'd vote for ESB (just because i already do Reds regularly).

I wouldn't mind an American Double ipa ... along the lines of Holgate hopinator :chug:

Something to savour in the winter months

Is there such a thing as an Imperial ESB?

Or even better an Imperial Red Irish ESB?

and why am I speaking in italics???

it's 'cause of your posh accent, GP.
:ph34r: :lol:

I'd be tempted with an Imperial ESB or Celtic Red - is that just delving into IPA or wee heavy/Old ale territory, though?

Due to a pull-out by one of the Pearl's major buyers, we now have extra bags available.

I can buy-up the extra bags as my alter-ego for a good price ;).

I have a cunning plan......

I propose that we just buy-up the extras & do a SINGLE MALT Barley Wine/Parti-Gyle double-boil "Ordinary": That should mean everyone gets 2 cubes from the brew & do whatever they want with it.

Assume about 10-13% utilisation from the first boil into the second & adjust from there.

I can feel Yob's thumb quivering as I type......

I have no idea what a Parti-Gyle double boil Ordinary is, but count me in!

In basic terms:

1. SHITLOADS of malt goes into the MLT.

2. Mash & run-off to 1060-ish.

3. Boil with hops. Result: ******* HUGE beer!!

4. Meantime, re-fill/re-sparge the remaining wort to a holding tank.

5. When the first boil & cubing is done, transfer the second runnings (Parti-Gyle) into the boiler.

6. Assume 10-13% utilisation from the 1st hops left in the boiler. If you want more, calculations required.

7. Boil & cube.

Couple of questions:

How big is the MLT/Boil kettle you guys are using?
And is this party-brew thing something that goes down a lot?
And how do you all seem to know each other... <_<

THIS WOULD BE A GOOD PartyGyle /.... Pending hop availability.... (Can be downscaled if required to 500L if less cubing) ..pending what people want to spend on a beer.. BIG beers cost more... 16 Bags required for theses recipes for the desired 800L

quick calculation maybe looking at $50 buy in for a cube of each??
~25 Cubes of American Sheep Rooter Barleywine
~20 Cubes of Imperial Red Ale???
~ $1000 to make ($860 Grain $100 Hops? $40 Sugar)

Extra cubes at cost to cover food to be reimbursed to this providing there is NO SALAD!

Barley wine at $35 a cube extra
Imperial Red Ale at $25 a cube extra

American Sheep Rooter Barleywine

800L
11.1%
77.4IBU

300kg TY Peal
15kg Crystal Dark
15kg Crystal Medium
Vienna 6kg
6kg Carafa III
9kg Sugar Raw

650g Citra Hop 60
650g Nelson Savin Dry 60
400g Nelson Savin Dry 45
250 Citra 30
250 Citra 15
250 Nelson Savin 15
250 Citra 0
250 Nelson Savin 0

Suggest WLP001

Dry Hop several times wit what eva u want

then do this.... But would need adjusting to suit the previous grains and require additional grains to be milled

Imperial Red Ale - Admiral Akbar Hack Clone

800L
8.6%
70IBU

Malt:
235kg TF Pearl
15.56kg Carared
15.11kg Med Crystal
15.11kg Dark Cryst
4.5kg Carafa Special III

Hops:
560g Nelson Savin 60mins
298.72g Citra 60 mins

836.4g Nelson Savin 20mins
836.4g Citra 15mins
744g Citra 10 mins
600g Nelson Savin 10 mins
744g Citra Dry hop 4 days
744g Nelson Savin Dry hop 4 days

Suggest WLP001

Depends if Yob can get his hands on the Citra and Nelson Savin...doubt it tho... But these hops would be freakinawesome in these..?

talco92 said:
Couple of questions:

How big is the MLT/Boil kettle you guys are using?
And is this party-brew thing something that goes down a lot?
And how do you all seem to know each other... <_<
Talco

Doesnt look like youve had an answer to these questions yet.

The gear tends to vary from meet to meet so not 100% sure where its at currently.
Previous efforts have used multiple MLTs.
The kettle is a huge and awesome 600l stainless drum.

These brews are done at the swap meets - which in Vic happens twice a year roughly July and December.
Check out this thread for more details about the up coming one. I beleive it is set for July 8 at "Whiteferret's" place near Shepparton.
http://aussiehomebrewer.com/topic/88970-vic-2016-xmas-in-july-case-swap/page-4
The swap list is full but there is always room more non swapping attendees.

And we all know each from this forum - the swaps are a great way for to put faces to names of the folks on this forum.

Just picture turning up to a complete stangers house, hanging out with a bunch of random blokes, drinking beer, making beer, eating and drinking more beer. Some blokes take a swag and it becomes a big drunken slumber party.

Cheers for the info grumpy.

Would love to be there, but not sure if I can make it this time. As a non-swapper I can probably turn up on short notice hey? :drinks:

So what do people think of the receipe concept?.. wasn't gunna spend too much time on it until people were interested.. If they are I will work on it more and adjust all the grain bills to suit the party gale etc and suggest dry hopping etc..

If you head brewers reckon you can get the partigyle concept to work, then i'd be keen to go with it: 2 cubes, baby!!

One minor problem with both the recipes you've got up there: I think you/we'll have buckley's chance of getting enough Nelson Sauvin. So we may need to run the gauntlet and swap the hops.

FWIW, i'm not sure i need an entire cube of 11%.
TBH, i've never tried a barleywine, so i could be convinced as the Wee Heavy was pretty damn tasty. I guess i'd also be a little concerned getting a yeast to chew through something that high, but again, i could be convinced.
So in summary, i think both recipes look great, though i'd probably be targeting more like 8-9% for the first runnings.

What would the second runnings be roughly from the 11% and the 8.5% first run? ~4-5%?

Not sure about a barley wine, Grainer... and I didn't love the result of the only PA I did with Nelson Sauvin (of course - not necessarily the fault of the hops!!!). BUT, I haven't had the original from fortitude brewing co., so what do I know?

Grist for the Red IPA seems nice and simple, but maybe too xtal heavy.

Yob seems to think hops aren't an issue ... He loves HOPS! and can probably get them from local suppliers format he posts in his HopDealz web posts! He is the man .. he can make it happen ..If not I am sure we all have enough hops combined to make it happen !. Admiral Akbar is one of the best beers I have tasted in a long time and it uses Nelson ! The Barleywine can be dry hopped with Centennial and amarillo to give it aa bit more substance on the nose.

11% is easy to ferment out and can be bottled using CB-1 which will easily chew threw the remaining priming sugar. I have never had a problem with high percentage beers like this.. its what I do LOL...my next beer is a all gran 16% ! LMAO Pushing the limits of brewing without eisbock ! The barleywine can be given a boost with the DME block left over from he last case swap as well. I have a chain saw at home if it is hard .. LOL martin! The admiral can be dropped 1% if need be.. First runnings id hope for 1.050-1.060.. and with a grain to up into a remash should be easy....

Grist for the Red IPA seems nice and simple, but maybe too xtal heavy.....Not sure what you mean by XTAL heavy.. it is meant to be !

Once again I am not going to invest time into perfecting the recipe unless people want it ! This is only the first brain dump reciepe from my head!

Yob had a Barley Wine going around at the last winter swap which i thought was spectacular

Yep I like the sound of the barleywine & red ipa combo.

But I've never made a beer with Nelson that I've liked, I've had commercial beers with Nelson which have been ok, AJ80s nelson pale was (un)surprisingly great, but nope not a fan of Nelson.

Could just dry hop the crap out of it to exercise those nelson demons, but kinda defeating the point though.

Latest posts

Back