2016 VIC Xmas in July Swap/Brew- Recipe

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
technobabble66 said:
Can't do an oats grist without manticle. It's against the rules. And who else will spend 4hrs elbow deep in the mashtun??
Also, I'm pretty sure Yob will boycott if we use oats. He was scarred from the last attempt.
elbow deep? Your confusing the hop addition with the mash tun surely!

Cheap Grain.. ?? English Barleywine .. hehe.. are you up for the challenge?

It's gotta be english style tho given the bready grain..

Or Go an Imperial Red Ale.... Admiral Ekbar!! best beer ..no amazing beer

Love a foreign extra, but equally as happy with an EIPA or other English variety. Would a Hobgoblin style suit the Pearl well? Probably too light a beer given the suggestions above.

Can I at least bring one avocado?

MastersBrewery said:
elbow deep? Your confusing the hop addition with the mash tun surely!
2013 Xmas in July Case Swap at breakbeer's place. Did a stout with oats. We cracked all the grain, poured into Yob's new huge (at the time) mash tun and discovered it was going to be too small. So we quickly made use of breakbeer's & micbrew's(?) mash tuns. Realised shortly after mashing in, the oats had all gone into Yob's mash tun. Hilarity ensured as manticle spent the next 4 hrs elbow deep in the mashtun perched up on a bench trying to unstick the mash to ramp and mashout.
That was the last case swap we saw manticle at, strangely enough.
And oats have never been used since.

DJ_L3ThAL said:
Can I at least bring one avocado?
Sure! What you do with it is open to speculaion.... :unsure:

technobabble66 said:
2013 Xmas in July Case Swap at breakbeer's place. Did a stout with oats. We cracked all the grain, poured into Yob's new huge (at the time) mash tun and discovered it was going to be too small. So we quickly made use of breakbeer's & micbrew's(?) mash tuns. Realised shortly after mashing in, the oats had all gone into Yob's mash tun. Hilarity ensured as manticle spent the next 4 hrs elbow deep in the mashtun perched up on a bench trying to unstick the mash to ramp and mashout.
That was the last case swap we saw manticle at, strangely enough.
And oats have never been used since.
Man, I wish I was there to take photo's.

OK, so simple & dirty - Pearl + 5% light Crystal. ~40 IBU's?

Where's Wayne when you need him??

Yep, go with that ^^, plus 2% Amber or CaraRed (from Bribie's recipe)
Challenger in the boil. EKG in the cube.

... and Mosaic & 007 in Yob's cube :ph34r:

I'm easy about the recipe.

Here's my Red Ale

44L into cubes

8.00 kg Marris Otter 87.9%

1.00 kg Cararoma 11.0%

0.10 kg Roasted Barley 1.1%

60 g Fuggles 4.0% 60 min

30 g Kent Goldings 5.1% 15 min

10g calcium chloride in strike water

wyeast 1728

I think an admiral Ekbar clone.. imperial red ale. Friken amazing drink

Yob said:
I wish whoever added the oats got a big boot right in the nadgers
Careful what you wish for.
I don't know who filled the drum but here's who poured it in.

2016-03-29 21.10.45.jpg

whiteferret said:
Careful what you wish for.
I don't know who filled the drum but here's who poured it in.
Bwahahaha

To be fair, I think it went something like, halfway through pouring the grain into Yob's spiffy new mashtun, several of you/us collectively realized: "crap, we're not gonna be able to fit it all in. What are we gonna do? Does anyone else have gear here? Ok, Glen, let's put some into yours, and we'll have a bit more left over, so we'll squeeze the rest into Mick's BIAB setup"

2 hrs later, the error of the collective on-the-fly decision became apparent...

It was my first case swap, so I claim noob status of zero responsibility [emoji106]

Mind you, realizing *after* we'd milled all the grain ("Wow, that grain milled through really fast!") that the mill rollers hadn't been set close enough to actually crack the grain should've been a warning sign for the rest of the day to double check everything to ensure no further visits by Mr Cockup.

On the bright side, that experience seemed to be the catalyst for Jesse, Wayne, etc to be super organized from then on at these case swap brews [emoji6]

Couple of people suggested milling that fast was not great.
Someone, maybe Je.... I mean I have no idea, said it should be fine cos that's what they do all the time. I grind by hand so I was never weighing in on that conversation.

We need baldric to tell mr cockup that on no uncertain terms are we home.

Case swaps do sound more elegantly organised since I stopped attending.

Yob said:
please scale to 800L

:p

on a serious note, had Adam confirmed? whats the equipment looking like?
Adam started another swap thread (which soon took-over the one I started in July last year) & was down as a swapper & cubist, so I assume he's in.

He's not involved in the BB as he's apparently taking a sabbatical, but would be in for the swap brew.

I'm just thinking about sourcing the grains from the BB before it closes, so we'll need to confirm a recipe (I was thinking the Pearl 'cos it's going to be cheaper all-round) & I can take slots on the listing for this brew & store it.

manticle said:
Couple of people suggested milling that fast was not great.
Someone, maybe Je.... I mean I have no idea, said it should be fine cos that's what they do all the time. I grind by hand so I was never weighing in on that conversation.
We need baldric to tell mr cockup that we are, on no uncertain terms, home.
Case swaps do sound more elegantly organised since I stopped attending.
I recall not these details...

I think I still had my old marga mill at that point so what would I have known about proper milling?

:p

Latest posts

Back