2016 VIC Xmas in July Swap/Brew- Recipe

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can assist with food if required but I've never been to one of these swaps before and have a lot going on at work and home (well, homes... moving house). I've got camping gear as well. I'm a big fan of the camp oven idea with a handful of stews slowly roasting away over some open fires. So from that angle, I'm prepared to bring along a feed and the gear required to prep it. If a few of us did that I think we'd be well fed.
Oh and I can bring a beer or two as well, I'm a pretty keen homebrewer as you may be aware.

I'm able to bring a camp oven with a roast from a beast my brother had killed a few months back.
Also fresh farm eggs from my old mans chooks and some local award winning bacon from numurkah butchers.

I might start a food thread tonight so we keep the food separate from the recipe thread.

Camp ovens are the go. Perfect time of year and easy for many people to contribute.

kunfaced said:
I request we brew a giant cannabis ale.

technobabble66 said:
You're welcome to cube hop with whatever you want ... [emoji6]

... though I think you're better off dry hopping for the effect I'm assuming you want.
Sorry to disappoint you both, but there's no way you can achieve any psychoactive effect from putting the naughty green stuff in beer.

THC isn't water-soluble, so it'd be a waste of good hooch.

MartinOC said:
Sorry to disappoint you both, but there's no way you can achieve any psychoactive effect from putting the naughty green stuff in beer.

THC isn't water-soluble, so it'd be a waste of good hooch.
educated guess?

If a person were to consider doing such a bad and illegal thing they would need to do an extraction with Polish rectified spirit (95% ethanol) or pure collected steam first and then add that to the beer.

kunfaced said:
educated guess?
Educated. Researched it maybe 25 years ago.

ANYWAY........Do we have a recipe/plan for this beer we're making, or is everyone still all fluffing-around?

Can't alter Chemistry, mate.

Bongs work because THC isn't water-soluble. Otherwise, they wouldn't & everything would be left in the water.

QED.

Moving right along........

On topic people. I believe Martin has reserved us some Perl malt what beer are we going to make with it. Note the host has vetoed faffing about brew day. Simple effective yummy beer. On with the sudgestions.

I reckon AJ80's suggestion for Pearl & 5% medium crystal is the go.

I can source a number of "medium" crystals in sufficient amounts for this, so it would really only come down to colour & maltster (ie. Bairds/Gladfields etc...etc...).

Neutral bittering to about 30 IBU's with something like Magnum & the rest is personal preference in the cube & beyond.

0.02c

Pearl malt, 5% medium crystal... 30 IBU.
Challenger and Target into the cube.
Water down to 1.045.
Ferment with 1275 at 20°C, hit 1.010 hopefully.
Quaff at 8-10°C with minimum spritz.

OG I reckon hit around 1.065, mash around 65°C. That way if people want a stronger brew then it's doable and for others they can water down as required.

Liking the sound of the simplicity. Means more time for shenanigans and salad during the day!

Got some chinook, citra and simcoe which may play nice together in the cube[emoji108]

Don't mention this stuff again! The salad-Police are out there just waiting to pounce on posts like that & you could find yourself in Room 101 with a raging/rampant lettuce pressed-up against your face in a cage. :eek:

Latest posts

Back