2016 VIC Xmas in July Swap/Brew- Recipe

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
droid said:
1065BG and 1069OG is that right?
Yeah, there's some tweaks needed (like salt-additions that I haven't worked-out yet).

I'm just driving this recipe because it looked like no-one else was stepping-up & decided to take the helm. NEXT TIME, someone else can take it...

I based this on my own system, but there's going to be much "thummage" to be had on the day.

Like I said..what we get is what we get.....

MastersBrewery said:
Would a chard oak domino go ok in the cube? If so I'll throw one in some bourbon tonight!
Your beer.....

If you don't already have it I have about 12kg of Midnight to spare! - Haven't used it so your welcome to it.

I'm heading up Friday mate if ya wanna hand to me, guessing I'm closest? [emoji106]

Yep, checked and already decided you were gonna be the courier :p
Thanks for offering - i'll swing by in the next few days and drop off my black stash. Did you want any yourself, by the way? (or anyone else, for that matter - i can probably spare up to 1kg, and a little goes a very long way!)

I think i might try some Cube Malting.

Any suggestions or recommendations for a malt to use?

Probably going to go with Aromatic &/or Biscuit.
CaraRed, CaraAroma, Spec B, Pale crystal, Melanoiden or Choc would be secondary considerations.

(Probably gonna stick to the basic UK style, with EKG+Challenger into the cube as well & fermented with 1469)

Thoughts?

Edit: added melanoiden

kunfaced said:
i've got 20kg of JW crystal i need to use up
Are you a confirmed provider for the 5Kg required? If so, I'll need to know the spec's.

A few tweaks later........

Recipe: July16 Swap Beer TYPE: All Grain
Style: British Strong Ale
---RECIPE SPECIFICATIONS-----------------------------------------------
SRM: 37.7 EBC SRM RANGE: 15.8-43.3 EBC
IBU: 35.0 IBUs Tinseth IBU RANGE: 30.0-60.0 IBUs
OG: 1.069 SG OG RANGE: 1.055-1.080 SG
FG: 1.017 SG FG RANGE: 1.015-1.022 SG
BU:GU: 0.510 Calories: 427.1 kcal/l Est ABV: 6.8 %
EE%: 70.00 % Batch: 500.00 l Boil: 531.12 l BT: 90 Mins

---WATER CHEMISTRY ADDITIONS----------------

Amt Name Type # %/IBU
80.00 g Calcium Chloride (Mash 60.0 mins) Water Agent 1 -

Total Grain Weight: 157.00 kg Total Hops: 600.00 g oz.
---MASH/STEEP PROCESS------MASH PH:5.40 ------
>>>>>>>>>>-ADD WATER CHEMICALS BEFORE GRAINS!!<<<<<<<
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
150.00 kg Pale Malt, Pearl (Thomas Fawcett) (5.9 E Grain 2 95.5 %
5.00 kg Crystal, Dark (Joe White) (216.7 EBC) Grain 3 3.2 %
2.00 kg Midnight Wheat (1466.0 EBC) Grain 4 1.3 %

Name Description Step Temperat Step Time
Mash In Add 409.45 l of water at 73.1 C 66.7 C 60 min
Mash Out Add 229.29 l of water at 93.7 C 75.6 C 10 min

---SPARGE PROCESS---
>>>>>>>>>>-RECYCLE FIRST RUNNINGS & VERIFY GRAIN/MLT TEMPS: 22.2 C/22.2 C
>>>>>>>>>>-ADD BOIL CHEMICALS BEFORE FWH
Fly sparge with 49.61 l water at 75.6 C
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
600.00 g Dr. Rudi [11.30 %] - First Wort 90.0 min Hop 5 35.0 IBUs

---BOIL PROCESS-----------------------------
Est Pre_Boil Gravity: 1.065 SG Est OG: 1.069 SG
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
20.00 Items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 mins) Fining 6 -

Incorporated CaCl to make sure we cover at least the minimum 50ppm.

Adjusted the Dr Rudi addition down to 35 IBU's (as per Techno's request) as FWH. You may now cube-hop the **** out of your individual portions.

Added Whirlfloc tab's so that no unfortunate ******* has to milk the Stag this time (Cocko is calling for milking a sheep for the 2016 Xmas Swap, so stay tuned..... :unsure: ).

For some reason, the 50g of Yeast Nutrient I added to the recipe isn't showing here, but I'll bring it along with the Whirlfloc.

Any glaring omissions anyone can pick with this lot? I know the volumes, Pre/Post boil gravities are screwed, but we'll get a good result without knowing the exact numbers we get from the cobbled-together system until we get them. Maybe even more going on past experience with it....

Cheers, Martin!
I've adjusted my spreadsheet accordingly.
Brewing Nerds Unite!!

Fairly set on:
100g Aromatic, 100g Biscuit, 15g Challenger, & 15g EKG all into the cube.
Happy to be advised otherwise.

Is 50g of fuggles, 30g challenger and 30g EKG cube hops too much for this style?

And how much cost are we looking at for the brew ingredients?

VP Brewing said:
Is 50g of fuggles, 30g challenger and 30g EKG cube hops too much for this style?
What style? It's pretty-much a blank canvas for you to do what you want with it.

VP Brewing said:
That'll be worked-out once we've got all the pieces together in one place & all the contributors to the brew get their heads together.

VP Brewing said:
What style? It's pretty-much a blank canvas for you to do what you want with it.

VP Brewing said:
That'll be worked-out once we've got all the pieces together in one place & all the contributors to the brew get their heads together.

I was going by the British strong ale part in the recipe but I guess with those hops and some Wyeast British ale II slurry it will be in the English IPA ball park. Haven't done one before so will go with that.

Did extensive grain chewing today to test the flavour options for cube malting.
So i changed my mind, I'm going with: 100g Aromatic, 150g Gladfields Toffee, 15g each of EKG & Challenger into the cube.
Hopefully to optimise that classic (in my mind, at least) caramel/toffee mid-palate of a UK ESB.
Then ferment out with 1469, possibly at ~14-15°C.

...mind you, maybe i should have a crack at a EIPA - i just need to up the cube hops and don't dilute as much... hmmmm

What is the water like in Shep?

Do we need any sodium met for chlorine/chloramine removal... Anyone have campden tablets if required?

Back