2016 VIC Xmas in July Swap/Brew- Recipe

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey martin, could you throw up the recipe you're going with, either for the full vol or 20L, please?
Just so I can devise which hops to stick in zee kube, and how much.

Has anyone cube grained before?

Yeah, i was wondering if it's gotta be dark only, or if something like Aromatic, Biscuit, CaraRed, or even Med/Heritage Xtal might be OK?

I'm assuming you need to avoid free starch, but if the grains aren't cracked hopefully anything above ~20-30 EBC might be OK

MartinOC said:
5Kg of your finest, please. Can you confirm the EBC on it (or at least the type)?

Thanks, Yob.

750g @ 11.3% will get us nudging 40 IBU's.
So is the 5kg of JW the only crystal we need? Or do we still need other contributions as myself, stu & nath have offered... I'm a simple person, dumb it down for me!

I'll put the recipe up when I get home this arvo.

Yep, Mick. I reckon the 5Kg of JW crystal (I'm assuming the 217 EBC stuff at the moment), plus Stu's 2Kg of Midnight Wheat should be all we really need.

OK, I'm a dinosaur - I admit it. Got one of those smartarse phone thinggies a few months ago (provided by my employer) & still don't know how to drive it (like I actually care?). Still smarter than most of you young whipper-snappers anyway.. :blink:

How the **** do I post-up the recipe from Beersmith to here???

Be gentle with me. I may be a technological numpty, but I make good beer...

Go old skool, martin: Type it out.

How's that beard coming along, by the way?
Or are you still going to be the skinner of the party again?
[emoji6]

AAARGH!! I'm having a Senior's Moment. Double-posting etc...

I can type out the recipe manually, but I actually want to learn how to do it properly, so someone please come to the party & help me out here..

EDIT: PS Monosyllabic instructions preferred - I'm just a dumb ****.

there should be a "share" icon and some choices inside there like "text" etc if you can't sort it out then highlight all the text by dragging your cursor over everyting you want (either from the start or working from the end back), right click and select copy all "select all" and copy

come back into AHB hit reply and right click then click on "paste"

that should be good enough

Code:
Figured it out.  Here's the guts of it:

Recipe: July16 Swap Beer	TYPE: All Grain
Style: British Strong Ale
---RECIPE SPECIFICATIONS-----------------------------------------------
SRM: 37.7 EBC		SRM RANGE: 15.8-43.3 EBC
IBU: 39.8 IBUs Tinseth	IBU RANGE: 30.0-60.0 IBUs
OG: 1.069 SG		OG RANGE: 1.055-1.080 SG
FG: 1.016 SG		FG RANGE: 1.015-1.022 SG
BU:GU: 0.580		Calories: 427.1 kcal/l	Est ABV: 7.0 %		
EE%: 70.00 %	Batch: 500.00 l      Boil: 531.12 l	BT: 90 Mins

---WATER CHEMISTRY ADDITIONS----------------

Total Grain Weight: 157.00 kg	Total Hops: 750.00 g oz.
---MASH/STEEP PROCESS------MASH PH:5.40 ------
>>>>>>>>>>-ADD WATER CHEMICALS BEFORE GRAINS!!<<<<<<<
Amt                   Name                                     Type          #        %/IBU         
150.00 kg             Pale Malt, Pearl (Thomas Fawcett) (5.9 E Grain         1        95.5 %        
5.00 kg               Crystal, Dark (Joe White) (216.7 EBC)    Grain         2        3.2 %         
2.00 kg               Midnight Wheat (1466.0 EBC)              Grain         3        1.3 %         

Name              Description                             Step Temperat Step Time     
Mash In           Add 409.45 l of water at 71.9 C         65.6 C        75 min        

---SPARGE PROCESS---
>>>>>>>>>>-RECYCLE FIRST RUNNINGS & VERIFY GRAIN/MLT TEMPS: 22.2 C/22.2 C
>>>>>>>>>>-ADD BOIL CHEMICALS BEFORE FWH
Fly sparge with 278.90 l water at 75.6 C

---BOIL PROCESS-----------------------------
Est Pre_Boil Gravity: 1.065 SG	Est OG: 1.069 SG
Amt                   Name                                     Type          #        %/IBU         
750.00 g              Dr. Rudi [11.30 %] - Boil 90.0 min       Hop           4        39.8 IBUs

Congrats old dude!!
Thanks for posting :)

For those who might want to know, having punched all that thru iahh's spreadsheet, for 20.5L, it works out to be roughly:
20.5L
6.42kg Ale malt
0.22kg Med Xtal
0.09kg Midnight Wheat

32g Dr Rudi (11.3%) @ 90mins

I think i'll dilute mine out to 27L and use 1469 on it - should be ~5.2%alc. Use ~10g each EKG & Challenger in the cube. 41 IBUs total.

Could i suggest we drop the Dr Rudi addition just a little bit?
It currently contributes so many IBUs there's not much wiggle room for cube additions.
I'm definitely fine if the consensus is it's malt driven and the hops shouldn't be too noticeable, but it'd be nice to have a few extra grams of the green stuff in the cube waiting for the warm embrace of the wort.
So a quick check is if the hops are dropped ~15%, it'll drop ~5 IBUs off. That translates to 5g on the small 20.5L scale, or 75g at the 500L scale.
So that'd make the hops addition on the day to be 675g of Dr Rudi.
Again, totally fine if you want to leave it as is. Just thought i'd put the idea out there.

Thanks again, Martin!

technobabble66 said:
Congrats old dude!!

For those who might want to know, having punched all that thru iahh's spreadsheet, for 20.5L, it works out to be roughly:
20.5L
6.42kg Ale malt
0.22kg Med Xtal
0.09kg Midnight Wheat

I think i'll dilute mine out to 27L and use 1469 on it - should be ~5.2%alc. Use ~10g each EKG & Challenger in the cube. 41 IBUs total.

It currently contributes so many IBUs there's not much wiggle room for cube additions.
I'm definitely fine if the consensus is it's malt driven and the hops shouldn't be too noticeable, but it'd be nice to have a few extra grams of the green stuff in the cube waiting for the warm embrace of the wort.
So a quick check is if the hops are dropped ~15%, it'll drop ~5 IBUs off. That translates to 5g on the small 20.5L scale, or 75g at the 500L scale.
Again, totally fine if you want to leave it as is. Just thought i'd put the idea out there.

Thanks again, Martin!
What's the matter with 180IBU beers?

Put your skirt away and man up disco ;)

technobabble66 said:
Congrats old dude!!

20.5L
6.42kg Ale malt
0.22kg Med Xtal
0.09kg Midnight Wheat

Thanks again, Martin!

technobabble66 said:
Congrats old dude!!

20.5L
6.42kg Ale malt
0.22kg Med Xtal
0.09kg Midnight Wheat

Thanks again, Martin!

Would a chard oak domino go ok in the cube? If so I'll throw one in some bourbon tonight!

Yob said:

aren't you the kilt wearing hops dealer... [emoji185][emoji6]

I've nothing against 180 IBUs, I'm just thinking to keep the options open for allowing peoples to do whatever they want. I'd happily go more IBUs, but more in cube hopping than bittering - I prefer to taste my hops [emoji41]

Wasn't there a post or 2 in the Rant thread recently about the excessive number of double hopped imperial everything? [emoji12]

Speaking of bittering, could we do FWH instead of a 90min addition? I think I'm convinced of the benefits of FWH these days.

Back