2016 VIC Xmas in July Swap/Brew- Recipe

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just pitched with a healthy dose of M44 - smelt amazing. Measured 1.070 with my hydro for what it's worth.

Hey guys, probably not the right place for this question, but i thought id give it a shot.

I want to make a Choc coffee porter. I have a recipe in mind. I plan on adding cocoa for the choc flavour at the end of the boil but i'm not sure on how coffee should be added. Someone has used Expresso shots at the end of the boil, and some steep beans overnight and add to the fermenter 3 days in.

Any suggestions?

I'd suggest using Choc malt.
With maybe a little dark sugar or do a caramelisation mini-boil with your first 3L of mash runoff.
You don't need to use those additives (coffee or cocoa) to get those flavours in the finished beer. The malts and yeasties do magical things to produce them in the beer over fermentation and aging.

Leave the coffee for your latte, and your chocolate/cocoa for your cake.

Mmmmmm ... caaake!

If you're super keen to add it, I'd do it either at the end of the boil for both. Or do a 2nd miniboil after most of the fermentation is done and add it when there's a few points left to go.

Do you bottle and bulk prime? I wonder if you could add your mini boil then, with the bulk priming dex?

Edit: I'm not saying Choc malt produces Choc flavour by itself by the way. It produces more of a roast flavour. But with other stuff produces a chocolatey element

My swap brew is down to 1.012 after a week using Wyeast 1275 Thames Valley. Has anyone else finished fermenting theirs yet?

Edit: 83% attenuation wtf?

Hello mate,

Took a while to get there, but mine dropped to 1.011 with M44. Dry hopped the other day and is now cold crashing for bottling tomorrow night.

20g Citra, 25g chinook and 30g Ella as a dry hop. 20g of each also added as a cube hop on the day. You?

Mine was 50g fuggles, 30g EKG and 30g challenger. Will keg hop if needed.

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1472205233.243387.jpgImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1472205252.673281.jpg
Smells reeeeeeeaaaaaally awesome.

Floral, nectar aroma with a solid malty biscuity element and a certain "earthiness". (Not sure where the earthiness is from -drRudi, challenger, excessive bitterness, or the cubed malts?).
Flavour similar with a slight caramelly element. Mouthfeel great. Bitterness v high, good but wouldn't want to be higher.

1469 worked fantastically with this one.

Excellent result.

Double thumbs up [emoji106][emoji106]

Mine seems to have stalled @ 1022 using MJ's Work horse yeast, currently sitting @19c, since I know there's at least 10 more points in this I'm going to bump it to 22c and rouse the yeast a bit.

I didn't have O2 for the first time in a long while, just goes to show how much difference it makes.

wish me luck!

Used that workhorse yeast before?

It barstardised a DSGA I did a couple years back. Attenuated but stripped heaps of flavour from the wort [emoji15]

No I haven't tried it before, I hope it hasn't stripped out too much, and the kick in temp and rousing get it down to decent attenuation.

Let you know in the coming days.

I used Workhorse yonks back on a so-called Aussie ale. Fermented at 15°C to try to lager-fy it and it got down to 1.018 I think and wouldn't go further. Pitched at 22°C if that means anything. Tasted ok, but FG was too high which ruined it.

yeah My issue is I have nothing on hand to pitch or pitch it onto. The beer pipe line has been empty for a few months. :huh: And the nearest brew shop 100k's away. I'm just going to have to suck it and see. :blink: What ever happens I'll bring a bottle to the next swap.

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1472876985.748332.jpg
I fermented mine with US05 and keg hopped with Citra, Mosaic and Chinook. Very Dark and definitely getting the earthy taste your talking about Techno. Great beer. Cheers [emoji481]

Mine finished at 1.011 and has carbed up nicely in the bottle. Very happy with this - cheers to the Brewers!

Mine got to 1.011 using wyeast 1275 that had been frozen for 12 months. Not sure if I stressed the yeast a bit during the stepping up but it threw off huge 'Belgian' like flavour and aroma. Been in the keg for 3 weeks with some EKG in a stocking and is really mellowing out now.

Latest posts

Back