2016 Qld xmas in july case swap tasting thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
15. Radshoes Infected Saison

Honestly this beer really hits the spot for me. Good amount of funk, but still easy to drink .

Well Done Bryan
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1470984471.954385.jpg

OI DBAZ
THIS CHILLI PORTER IS THE TITS.
I LIKE CHILLI, BUT IN AN "IM A NORMAL PERSON" KIND OF WAY. TAKE WHATEVER YOU WANT FROM THIS STATEMENT ROKAXE

ITS LIKE LIQUID CHILLI CHOCOLATE
BUT WITH ALCHOHOL.

AND MY MISSUS DOESN'T WANT ANY.

SUCKER!

5. Radshoes - infected saison - bottled straight from the barrel last night so do not drink until the 30th of July at least.

Brett funk - check
Tastes like barrel - check
Light, dry, acidic - check

Really enjoying this mate.** ***

** Check sanitation practices to avoid unwanted funky aromas. Ensure all vessels after chilling - particularly storage vessels are clean and sanitised prior to filling.

*** Not Belgiany enough.

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1470986119.674139.jpg

only used 50% belgian saison yeast sorry mate.***

probably should have added this is pushing 8% for the players at home.

21. Robv - Dark Mild 3%

What a delightful beer! Big whack of malts in my nose holes

Flavour is much bigger than most milds I've tried.

I hesitate to say smokey flavours but it's something like that.

Really creamy mouth feel. And lovely ruby colour that my photo doesn't pick up.

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1470997910.196657.jpg

13. NickB - AIPA

Beautiful hop aroma to start with, giving way to a solid whack of hop flavour - but all in balance. A delightful IPA. Alas - there was but one!

Really enjoyed this one. Out of interest, what was the hops schedule?

Cheers
Roger

Thanks Parks! Have you tried that bottle of RIS yet?

Thanks mate! Glad it is up your ally.

radshoes said:
OI DBAZ
THIS CHILLI PORTER IS THE TITS.
I LIKE CHILLI, BUT IN AN "IM A NORMAL PERSON" KIND OF WAY. TAKE WHATEVER YOU WANT FROM THIS STATEMENT ROKAXE

ITS LIKE LIQUID CHILLI CHOCOLATE
BUT WITH ALCHOHOL.

AND MY MISSUS DOESN'T WANT ANY.

SUCKER!

Parks said:
Cheers mate.
I deliberately kept the roast low as I felt boosting the roast later by blending would be better than having too much.
I would normally use at least 2-3kg per batch but this was about 1.5kg from memory and just a steeping addition in the first batch of a partigyle.
Yeah, about 10min after posting that I thought "Easy for me to say, but what would I do?" and thought going overboard would do more harm than good and it would be hard to anticipate what the beer would end up like - so absolutely fair enough. :)

bulkalebrews said:
Yep, what the kilt lifter said.
Amazing beer.
Is there actual banana in this beer?..... Just kidding.
Thanks, glad you liked. I tried to get the balance as best I could and it's probably more towards clove and vanilla but still I guess enough banana there.

It was only about 35% barley, but the OG was 1076.

I did the following mash:
35C for 10min
44C for 15min
56C for 10min
63C for 60min with a decoction
71C for 15min, then mash out

Yeast was 3638
17C for 1 day
19C for 2 days
20.5C for 5 days
22C for 5 days then racked to secondary

Pitched 3333 for bottling.

1. Winkle - W3031 Acerola Tarwe 7.5 abv
Crystal clear deeeeep red colour, bit of funk and earthy fruitiness, sweet malt and slight tannic acidity. Very pleasant drinking on this lazy Sunday arvo, considering how sharp acerola can be you've managed to get the flavour of the fruit into the beer without puckering sourness. Well played sir!

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1471144060.322333.jpg

10. Ciderman - Gingerbread Brown Ale 6.0% 35ibu.
Smells like ginger bread, tastes like gingerbread. Wtf are you willy wonka?
Beer is very dark but clear with red highlights and lacing well. Smooth & balanced malt/bitterness, well attenuated not sweet, *maybe* some diacetyl or I could just be imagining the butter as an ingredient. Either way this is delicious. Any chance of posting the recipe?
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1471148919.015481.jpg

Quick question Adro are your mash steps via infusion or direct heat? Interested to know if ramp times are involved

Yeah a 2kW element, RIMS. I get 10C steps in 7-10min depending on pumping rate.

I tried doing infusion mashes with an acid rest but lost most of my hair doing it. Decoction can help though and you are best to overdo it and add excess later.

It's obviously not essential, but it can produce a different beer to a single rest. I'm still not happy with the maltiness if my beers, but there are things I can do to improve that... I hope.

Sweet, good to know. 2.4kW direct in this house. I've started mashing in at 55 then 64, 68, 72, mash out at 78. but still working out how long to rest before ramping from beta to alpha, going to cut it down to 10mins next time because I figure ramps are still in range.

Yeah, the next stop us normally set a few minutes before. I use an analogue watch and it usually ends up 2-3min be fore the next step when I set the temp and ramp up the pump speed.

4. madpierre06 - Black Rye IPA
Look mate I'm a little bit disappointed you didn't put up another coffee beer, but I'll let it slide because this is a cracker. Pretty dank on the hops, clean slightly roasty malt body, dunno if I'm perceptive enough to get the rye, dry finish and just enough bitterness to bring it together. Very tasty.
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1471153367.300946.jpg

5. Motabika- Lichtenhainer

Nice subtle smoke in the aroma and flavour but the sourness really goes to town at the enamel on my teeth. The sourness is the predominant flavour for this beer and doesn't disappoint. This is quite an enjoyable drink, I do really like a good sour drop.

What was the recipe? Did you do a kettle sour and what lacto did you use?

Thanks for the cracker beer mate.

1471157547690.jpg

3. Brewkid - Biere De Garde
The aroma is kind of sweet like demerera sugar, finishes dry. Pretty clean, ABV is well hidden. Shit I might fall over before I finish this. Cheers m9 ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1471160306.526085.jpg

Liam_snorkel said:
10. Ciderman - Gingerbread Brown Ale 6.0% 35ibu.
Smells like ginger bread, tastes like gingerbread. Wtf are you willy wonka?
Beer is very dark but clear with red highlights and lacing well. Smooth & balanced malt/bitterness, well attenuated not sweet, *maybe* some diacetyl or I could just be imagining the butter as an ingredient. Either way this is delicious. Any chance of posting the recipe?
attachicon.gif
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1471148919.015481.jpg
Im drinking this at the moment and had forgotton what I put in the fridge, thought it was meant to be a black ipa.
Wasn't i ******* surprised when i poured it!

Latest posts

Back