2016 Hop Plantations, Show Us Your Hop Garden!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After some decent wind in hobart earlier in the growing season, i was a little worried for my plants. Luckly they have bounced backand bushed out a bit.

The chinook, cascade and columbus all are looking good to me.
1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg

Also, this last photo is of a cutting i took earlier this year. seems to be going off its nut!

I probably had around a 70% mortality rate on the cuttings as a whole as the automatic watering system malfunctioned and they didn't get enough water while i was away. Still, I'm stoked with the 30% that did survive!
4.jpg

Belgrave Brewer said:
No worries. They won't all be ready at the same time on the same plant, or the same variety of plant next to it.
Yes, I have noticed this. It's a bit annoying since I'm only getting a few grams at a time being a first year plant in a pot and not on a particularly high trellis/frame. I do however have plans to increase the planting medium to large raised garden beds and build taller trellises during the winter, so might get better results next season. I still consider this season a success though, getting them to grow and produce at least some flowers.

I reckon I'll start picking this weekend on Cascade, and high probability of Victoria and Chinook next week, at least up the top of a few of the plants.

Victoria hop pictured below, description says light colored lupulin but this certainly is not light colored...is it?

victoria_cut3_compressed.jpg

Looks a similar colour to my Victoria, picked about 20% of it today my cascade is maybe a week 10 days behind, but I started it much later.

Belgrave Brewer said:
I reckon I'll start picking this weekend on Cascade, and high probability of Victoria and Chinook next week, at least up the top of a few of the plants.

Victoria hop pictured below, description says light colored lupulin but this certainly is not light colored...is it?
Mmm sticky icky icky!

My Tettnang copped a beating from the wind so only has a few small cones which smell amazing. My chinook however is covered in cones which have no real aroma and only a dusting of lupulin inside the cone. Is this right and they just need time to mature, or are they a dud this year?

Does anyone taste the lupulin off the flower? Or is it too entense to be worthwhil?

MitchD said:
My Tettnang copped a beating from the wind so only has a few small cones which smell amazing. My chinook however is covered in cones which have no real aroma and only a dusting of lupulin inside the cone. Is this right and they just need time to mature, or are they a dud this year?
Need more time...check the video a few pages back on when to harvest.

Belgrave Brewer said:

That looks spot on.

Belgrave Brewer said:
Have a taste! I do. It is bitter but worth it.
No. It really isn't!
last time i had a taste of a hop cone (Helga) i struggled to get the taste our of my mouth for around an hour.
I like Helga hops. But i like them in beer.

Belgrave Brewer said:

My Victoria are only in burs and small developing stage at the moment. I think a month off harvesting yet. The Cascade are later than that. Just saying out of interest I'm in Frankston Vic. I am in a semi shade situation though. Last year harvest was late March.
When they're ripe they're ripe!

Most of my plants have zero burrs at the moment, at this stage of the game, is it likely that they will produce this season? Or is that question too subjective? They are all first year plants...

Matplat said:
Most of my plants have zero burrs at the moment, at this stage of the game, is it likely that they will produce this season? Or is that question too subjective? They are all first year plants...
You may be surprised. My columbus are almost ready...two weeks. My Golding have just started to flower massively now. So they're at least another month away. Really depends on the sun they're getting. 22+ nodes is the magic number if they get that many nodes you'll get cones!!!

Thats what the golding look like now...big but still very open and just growing pistils now....so still 6 weeks off!!

IMG_2116.JPG

Latest posts

Back