2016 Hop Plantations, Show Us Your Hop Garden!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
impromptu mini pick last night, probably 1/8 of the total and almost equals last years harvest already I think..

Harvest1.jpg

My first year Goldings, 1.5kg wet and a couple of kg still to be picked. Now I need recipe suggestions! I'll do an ale of some sort, but what I'm really interested in is using these in a lager. Open to suggestions!

IMG_1170.JPG

DSC09074.JPG

IMG_1163.JPG

IMG_1166.JPG

IMG_1168.JPG

Hpal said:
My first year Goldings, 1.5kg wet and a couple of kg still to be picked. Now I need recipe suggestions! I'll do an ale of some sort, but what I'm really interested in is using these in a lager. Open to suggestions!
Any chance you can show us a pic of a cone dissected long ways for colour reference Hpal?

There were a few about 80mm long, probably averaged 50mm though. Quite a good size

A lot of the pics I'm seeing of picked hops, here and other places, look a bit young to me to be harvested. I'm basing my timing to pick off of the video I posted a few pages back, and some research I've done about when to get the most out of aroma and flavour from homegrown hops.

I'm picking my hops when they are very ripe and just showing signs of browning, very papery, and bracts fall off when brushed backwards, center twig in the hop snaps when bent, and the lupulin is turning a darker more golden colour.

Just wondering what everyones thoughts are on this.

Personally, next week will be very busy and I dont want to miss them, I'll be slow drying and I'd say 50/50 were ready now and the rest will be fine over the drying period.. I'd rather pick a little early than a little late ;)

Got the tree lopper out last night and harvested from the top of the bines. A lot of the hops had browned off, I wasn't even going to pick them.... Impulse salvage. Glad I did though, half kilo wet!

1455931930652.jpg

Yob said:
Personally, next week will be very busy and I dont want to miss them, I'll be slow drying and I'd say 50/50 were ready now and the rest will be fine over the drying period.. I'd rather pick a little early than a little late ;)
Agreed. You don't want to pick late. I have and you won't like the results.

This is a fresh one just for a dissection photo. I have been waiting till they no longer feel wet before picking when they just start to have a bit of crunch when squeezed and feel a bit drier and papery.

DSC09102.JPG

Tested out our picking/work platform yesterday and very happy with it. It sill needs a floor and hand rail all around. I'll run center wires down each row next year and string the hops into a V shape and we'll cut the platform width in half once the wire works are complete.

platform1.jpg

platform2.jpg

Kinda hard to tell but this is the top of a hessian bag. With Cascade and Chinook. I have two plants of each, and the vines grew and inter-mingled such that it is now almost impossible to tell them apart. Oh well, it's not a bad combo to use in an APA.

Just finished drying, 300g.

1622016_10154631385691110_6404936534714504381_n.jpg

Im getting excited and I dont even have a crop growing... I think all Im seeing is the potential rhizomes!!

I believe these are Chinook, but if anyone is in the West of Melbourne and wants them - welcome to them as I don't brew anymore. They've gone crazy! Not sure if ready

IMAG0473.jpg

MFleck said:
I believe these are Chinook, but if anyone is in the West of Melbourne and wants them - welcome to them as I don't brew anymore. They've gone crazy! Not sure if ready
Someone who is looking to grow should jump on this offer and return when the rhizomes are dormant and have a dig fest;)

MFleck said:
Looking pretty wild there! Is that Mugwort in the middle by any chance? I've got a small plant in a pot which needs potting up and was told if I put it in the ground I'd never get rid of it.

Back on topic - Is it possible for plants that didn't get enough water to simply not bother flowering? My drip system wasn't quite delivering what I thought it was and I fear I may have ruined this season although I got a small early crop from one of my cascades.

Latest posts

Back