2016 Hop Plantations, Show Us Your Hop Garden!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Probably depends a bit on variety as well. I have a Hallertau and a Fuggle, both in practically the same conditions. The Fuggle has about 4 or 5 cones on it and about the same amount of burrs, whereas the Hallertau has upwards of 100 (combined cones and burrs). These are both first year plants too and I wasn't really sure what to expect in terms of flowering. I didn't expect as much as the Hallertau has produced though. Hard to say if you'll definitely get cones or not, guess it's just a wait and see game.

Climbed up the windmill to take a perspective shot.... Smaller.jpg

I'm thinking my sideways trellising has let me down, still loads of growth out of the pot, but very little growth up/along the line. As though it's trying to find new lines to grow vertically up because it doesn't like going along....

I'l have to change that next year.....

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1455252202.091289.jpgImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1455252230.467335.jpg

Victoria. Going pretty well.

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1455254498.202463.jpg

First year cluster.

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1455254533.239242.jpg

First year cascade.

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1455254570.073503.jpg

P.O.R. Taking over the back porch.

Matplat said:
I'm thinking my sideways trellising has let me down, still loads of growth out of the pot, but very little growth up/along the line. As though it's trying to find new lines to grow vertically up because it doesn't like going along....

I'l have to change that next year.....
Get them in the ground and give them something vertical to climb up mate. How old are they?

Shouldn't have too much of an issue with sideways trellising. I've got a photo in here somewhere of my first year cascades around the front door which go up, sideways then back down. So far already picked 500g of (wet) flowers.

Its all about the 22 node mark!!!! Then the early nodes grow up the main bine and then well....that.....lovethycolumbus.jpg

Curly79 said:
Get them in the ground and give them something vertical to climb up mate. How old are they?
All first years... i didn't think disturbing the roots at this stage would be a good idea??

First pickings of Chinook this week. The next 2 weeks are going to be very busy. Spot picking this weekend either on the ladder or the platform if it gets finished in time. I've put 13%AA on the packages as a reminder to myself, but have no idea what the actual AA% is. Made a hop tea with 5 dried hops, let it steep for 20 mins and the bitterness was strong.

chinook_17_2_16rack1.jpg

chinook_17_2_16bagged.jpg

Make an arrogant ******* clone! That's what I did with my Chinook harvest from last year. Best batch of beer I've made!

My hops are stuffed this year :( too many whiteflies and something has been making the leaves yellow a bit. Next season I will be moving the bines to a sunnier spot and building a proper trellis thing.

Is it normal for the leaves on bines that have had cones picked off them to start browning off after picking the cones? Because a couple of mine have done this. Not particularly worried about it since they aren't producing any more cones but just curious.

pat_00 said:
Make an arrogant ******* clone! That's what I did with my Chinook harvest from last year. Best batch of beer I've made!

My hops are stuffed this year :( too many whiteflies and something has been making the leaves yellow a bit. Next season I will be moving the bines to a sunnier spot and building a proper trellis thing.
I may just do that. But, I have committed around 100kg all up to 2 collaboration brews first. Then whatever is left will go towards working on a recipe to release commercially later this year.

Belgrave Brewer said:
First pickings of Chinook this week. The next 2 weeks are going to be very busy. Spot picking this weekend either on the ladder or the platform if it gets finished in time. I've put 13%AA on the packages as a reminder to myself, but have no idea what the actual AA% is. Made a hop tea with 5 dried hops, let it steep for 20 mins and the bitterness was strong.
Are you going to have them tested for AA%? I am assuming by the scale of the plantation that you have generated that it is a commercial enterprise?.... or you just reaaaaallllly like brewing?

Matplat said:
Are you going to have them tested for AA%? I am assuming by the scale of the plantation that you have generated that it is a commercial enterprise?.... or you just reaaaaallllly like brewing?
I won't have them tested yet. Maybe in year 3 when AA is more stable. I'm only using this crop for late hop additions and wet/dry hopping, so IBU is minimal if any.

Rocker1986 said:
Is it normal for the leaves on bines that have had cones picked off them to start browning off after picking the cones? Because a couple of mine have done this. Not particularly worried about it since they aren't producing any more cones but just curious.
I'll have a look at the plants I have picked and see if the same thing is happening.

Latest posts

Back