2016 Hop Plantations, Show Us Your Hop Garden!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
shaunous said:
Lucky they're not a labour intensive plant. And I have them in decent sized pots.

You're not the only one with a lousy harvest Shaunous.
I took mine out of 100l pots last year and transferred the whole root crown into the ground. Must admit I was a bit neglectful and didn't do much fertilising or soil treatment and it's the first year they haven't made it to the top of the trellis. No great loss as I still haven't used the POR from my first year of growing four years ago.
Gonna try and build some raised garden beds this year for a decent veggie patch. Think I'll grab a few rhizomes from the root ball and just start again. From memory their first and second years were still the best harvest.

Camo6 said:
You're not the only one with a lousy harvest Shaunous.
I took mine out of 100l pots last year and transferred the whole root crown into the ground. Must admit I was a bit neglectful and didn't do much fertilising or soil treatment and it's the first year they haven't made it to the top of the trellis. No great loss as I still haven't used the POR from my first year of growing four years ago.
Gonna try and build some raised garden beds this year for a decent veggie patch. Think I'll grab a few rhizomes from the root ball and just start again. From memory their first and second years were still the best harvest.
Camo6, my rhizomes outperformed the crowns I bought and put into ground this season. I'm convinced transplanting crowns can shock them a bit. They'll still produce, but they might need a full season to recuperate.

I reckon you might be on to something there Belgrave Brewer. Probably a case of supply Vs demand.

Camo6 said:
Must admit I was a bit neglectful and didn't do much fertilising or soil treatment and it's the first year they haven't made it to the top of the trellis.
There is your problem BB's right there they will get, not so much a shock ,but they do stress, its amazing how much a plant responds to TLC, transplant with some slow release fertiliser and a couple of banana skins, make up a mix to 10 litres of water, 1/2 cup of Charlie Carp, 1 Cup Seasol, 3 teaspoons of Zinc Sulphate, 3 teaspoons Epsom Salts. Mix well.
Dilute the mixture 1/2 a litre to 5 litres in a sprayer and spray on the leaves, underneath as well, you can use it on your vegies and citrus trees they love it, not on a hot day though.

I've noticed some browning of the tentacles, only on the odd cone, most are looking normal. Could it be windburn?
image.jpeg

I planted mine back in August. Centennial.
My vine won't go higher than my head and no flowers yet.

Anyone else having issues or does this sound normal?

Benn: That looks fine. They can get wind and sunburn but those tentacles shrivel and then the yellow sticky Lupulin develops in the cone/leaves that cover the hairs. Lookin good.

HOU5CAT: If its not flowering yet it should be still growing in height/ length. My cascade are flowering about 2 weeks earlier than last year. Harvesting was right in late March. Feed them well like mentioned above. Diluted fertilizer instead of just water.

Thanks Belgrave Brewer that vid was good I'll have a look and feel of hops tonight

wide eyed and legless said:
There is your problem BB's right there they will get, not so much a shock ,but they do stress, its amazing how much a plant responds to TLC, transplant with some slow release fertiliser and a couple of banana skins, make up a mix to 10 litres of water, 1/2 cup of Charlie Carp, 1 Cup Seasol, 3 teaspoons of Zinc Sulphate, 3 teaspoons Epsom Salts. Mix well.
Dilute the mixture 1/2 a litre to 5 litres in a sprayer and spray on the leaves, underneath as well, you can use it on your vegies and citrus trees they love it, not on a hot day though.
I'll be sure to give that recipe a go Weal. Wasn't a case of deliberate neglect but the garden had to sit on the backburner last year. New career, working weekends, building the shed and two young uns has taken all my time.
Now things are stabilising, the plan is to build some raised beds to accomodate better soil and put in an automated watering system.

Thanks for that video BB, certainly helped me a bit. I picked some of my Hallertau today that exhibited the traits he showed and described for ones that are ready, and I could tell some of the others weren't ready because they felt moist and were still bright green. The ones I picked were browning and felt dry and papery and sounded it as well. I'm reasonably confident now that they haven't been picked too early. :)

H0U5ECAT said:
I planted mine back in August. Centennial.
My vine won't go higher than my head and no flowers yet.

Anyone else having issues or does this sound normal?
Centennial?? Where can I get rhizomes for that?

:lol: Hops whatever! I cant think there is a Holy Grail to be found in unobtainable breeds. Oh shit! Is that Blasphemy?
What about the blendomutations of the obtainables? Not worthy?

My mate bought a Centennial zome off eBay, the seller had a few varieties on offer from memory.
It was very late in the planting season.

Benn said:
I've noticed some browning of the tentacles, only on the odd cone, most are looking normal. Could it be windburn?
attachicon.gif
image.jpeg
Mine did the same during the heat. Don't stress. keep them watered well and if they have enough nutrients, they'll be just fine.

Rocker1986 said:
Thanks for that video BB, certainly helped me a bit. I picked some of my Hallertau today that exhibited the traits he showed and described for ones that are ready, and I could tell some of the others weren't ready because they felt moist and were still bright green. The ones I picked were browning and felt dry and papery and sounded it as well. I'm reasonably confident now that they haven't been picked too early. :)
No worries. My first year growing at largish scale. I've spent so much time researching and in the hop field this year, learning as I go. I don't have much experience but I'm happy to share what I've learned. Watched this today and figure I'll be picking Cascade this weekend, Victory and possibly some Chinook next week. Keep a close eye on your hops...things can change quickly. They won't all be ready at the same time on the same plant, or the same variety of plant next to it.

I'm sure there are people here that can better advise. Mardoo, Yob, and Wide eyed and legless have a lot more experience and have provided great input.

Back