2016 Hop Plantations, Show Us Your Hop Garden!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have just moved to Canberra from Darwin and I am keen to try and grow some of my own hopps. Is now the ideal time to pot in Canberra?

A bit early. Ideal time is after the last frost of winter.

If you are looking at scoring/buying hop rhizomes, you'll be waiting until mid year or so. The Canberra Brewers club usually has plenty of people growing hops with rhizomes to sell or share. (Come along tonight and say g'day!).

The last frost in Canberra? So around late December then?

Drew said:
A bit early. Ideal time is after the last frost of winter.

If you are looking at scoring/buying hop rhizomes, you'll be waiting until mid year or so. The Canberra Brewers club usually has plenty of people growing hops with rhizomes to sell or share. (Come along tonight and say g'day!).
Whats on tonight Drew? keen to get into some homebrew clubs down here

wide eyed and legless said:
Don't be surprised if a bid for freedom has been initiated by the rhizome through the 'small pot's drainage holes'.
You're spot on mate! Tried to move the pot, hmmmm, it's stuck :D Will have to try and get all the roots out before I plant the garden with cascade

neal32 said:
Some cones are starting to fall off brown so i went around and picked the browning/ papery ones today. There is maybe 4 times that left! I should be right for hops in the near future.
where did you find your custom made hop dryer Neal?

I still can't believe these were rhizomes 6 months ago. Blows my mind.

chinook_row.jpg

chinook1.jpg

chinook2.jpg

chinook3.jpg

chinook4.jpg

Yob said:
Dude!!

For real...
Yeah YOB, for real. Not sure if these were the ones I bought off you or Mardoo. Let me know if you want to come have a look. And...that's with wind damage.

Mardoo said:
Awesome! Having a harvest party? Love to come help.
I am Mardoo...not sure when yet. I'll be doing some top picking on Tuesday if they are ready. I'd say the harvest party is 4 weeks away for the core picking. I'll make sure to invite you...most of these are your babies. I'm all new at this and am learning as I go.

Belgrave Brewer said:
Yeah YOB, for real. Not sure if these were the ones I bought off you or Mardoo. Let me know if you want to come have a look. And...that's with wind damage.
Sure do.. However, I didn't let you buy them off me, but I will accept a beer one day ;)

Better show off what happened in SA......Here is my epic Columbus hedge....very much a success!!!

So much for me just knowing how to mow lawns ey......

I did try to point out Im a horticulturalist so I kinda know what im doing with plants.....but hey.....not many people around as crazy as me so....not hard feelings!!!

The colours are a bit out because im on a 2mp camera atm.....long boring story....

20160202_115858.jpg

20160204_142109.jpg

20160204_142128.jpg

20160204_181156.jpg

20160204_182518.jpg

20160204_182557.jpg

20160204_182614.jpg

Belgrave Brewer said:
Looking good Stu!
Did you see our article in Craftypint on Monday? Lets just say I wasnt expecting this to happen in my first year. Massive plans for next year now....got my dwarf setup all ready to go and then going to put in extra big infrastructure to do at least 200 columbus rhizomes next year!!

http://craftypint.com/news/1168/A_Glimmer_Of_Hops

BottloBill said:
Yeah that's right....Dwarf cluster saga wasn't it:rolleyes:

I must say you've done well.
I've had some of that 'dwarf' Cluster come good...well over 4 meters high this year.

Belgrave Brewer said:
I've had some of that 'dwarf' Cluster come good...well over 4 meters high this year.
I got mostly crowns and its 95% failed. I dont really mind as Ill move the golding into that 200 plot 3.5m system later this year. I suspect they dwarfed due to sandstone not to deep under them. If plants roots hit rock they'll stunt if htey cant get the water and nutrients they are looking for. I suspect that the dwarf will revert into normal cluster again for anyone thats having luck with it. Could be different due to it stunting....just watch your crop numbers Id pull it if you're getting low numbers of flowers.

Latest posts

Back