2016 Hop Plantations, Show Us Your Hop Garden!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1453935999.803459.jpg
Hi all,
Any thoughts on this Cascade Hop Cone? It's roughly 55-60mm in length but has several leaves protruding from the cone itself. Theres a few on the plant but generally was from the first few to appear.

Belgrave Brewer said:
1st year Chinook and Victoria performing beyond my expectations. It would have been even better but had some wind damage from a storm in December that probably knocked off 20% of the growth. I'm going to have to get a windbreak on the Southern side.
I've clearly done something wrong..... Perhaps because I live in the wrong state....

Matplat said:
I've clearly done something wrong..... Perhaps because I live in the wrong state....
I'm led to believe they do flower less up here than down south. Mine certainly don't look anything like that either, although they are flowering. I just had some Maxibloom arrive yesterday, will be interesting to see what that does to them.

Lumber09 said:
attachicon.gif
Hi all,
Any thoughts on this Cascade Hop Cone? It's roughly 55-60mm in length but has several leaves protruding from the cone itself. Theres a few on the plant but generally was from the first few to appear.
Mutation! Climate change? Nice photo it looks like some exotic tropical something.

Lumber09 said:
attachicon.gif
Hi all,
Just hops being hops. A few of my varieties have thrown those from time to time. Just pick off the leafy bit before you dry them, and if you can't be arsed it will make little difference.

Mardoo said:
Just hops being hops. A few of my varieties have thrown those from time to time. Just pick off the leafy bit before you dry them, and if you can't be arsed it will make little difference.
Yeah, figured as much. Just making sure it wasn't caused by the fertilizer schedule or something. They have been getting Seasol about every 2 weeks and then pot ash once the burrs emerged. Got some monster cones on it, up to 7cm in length, not that I'm complaining!! Only a 2nd year plant too.ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1454102826.824089.jpg

Time to harvest the 1st year cascades! Really happy with how they came along for 1st years.. always a talking point for guests when they see them at the front door as well.

A few burrs forming on the chinook (around window) with no signs of burrs yet from the goldings.

1454103558191.jpg

1454103576694.jpg

1454103586532.jpg

I'd let the bines get a couple of feet long and tie them down along the finishing line. Continued to do that every few days. I'm also quite surprised how well it they went. Granted, the growing tip on the left bine broke when I was winding it down one day which is why it's a bit shorter than the other. Hopefully I'll get them all the way to the bottom next year..

When I say tie them down, I mean just trained them around the fishing line in a clockwise direction going down. They'd try to grow back up and may lose a couple of rotations around the string but for the most part they played nicely.

I did something similar with one of mine, not vertically but growing in a downward direction. I probably didn't leave it grow long enough each time before wrapping it around the string, because in the end it just stopped growing any further and formed a cone on its end.

The early flowers (would have reached full size by early /mid December) are now browning and falling off.

Bit sad, but the plants are now recovered from storms and odd early hot spells and have a heap of new laterals with hundreds of new burrs.

1454118487077.jpg

This plant was grown from unwanted runner(vine)..put in a pot last year and it took..its only about 2metres tall..But it has flowers

fog9c1.jpg

opzq13.jpg

1st year Goldings from a cutting the size of a worm and it's also in a small pot. Heavy with burrs and cones

DSC09074.JPG

Lumber09 said:
attachicon.gif
Hi all,
My Goldings is doing this too but only on the cones that are on the end of a bine

DSC09072.JPG

Benn said:
My Victoria is starting to Burr up
attachicon.gif
image.jpeg
Exiting times!
Chinook has just started popping out little burrs as well, ....they came at the same time
I got some "Sulphate of potash" fertiliser from bunnings last night, hope they like it.

Some cones are starting to fall off brown so i went around and picked the browning/ papery ones today. There is maybe 4 times that left! I should be right for hops in the near future.

2016-02-04 12.18.59.jpg

Back