2016 Hop Plantations, Show Us Your Hop Garden!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks like a predatory insect you may have a few aphids I wouldn't be worrying about those leaves.

wide eyed and legless said:
What is that insect which seems to be having a go at it?
Rocker1986 said:
Cool, I'll keep that in mind. Half tempted to just leave it alone out of curiosity to see what it does.
That structure yo have behind your hops looks pretty solid I would be building a higher frame using that fence and kick board at the bottom, pull your hops away from it and growing them at an angle. Something to think about for next year. (I have tomatoes higher than your hops :) )

Came home to this yesterday. 2nd year cascades with plenty of hops coming through after nothing last year, and the dog has ripped the vines from the base... ******* ropeable 2015-12-22 06.48.50.jpg

So i was trying to train a bine up my frame and the tip broke off. This strand is at least 8ft off the ground.

Will this strand die back now or keep going?

It'll just concentrate on laterals and won't get any longer. I've had a few tips break off now due to pests and being heavy handed during training..

Err what?
1450938072375.jpg

Think the early melb heat wave confused my poor girls. Top of the bines are sporting fully formed cones, a bit further down some of the older bines too.

Only burrs on the rest of them.

mofox1 said:
Err what?
attachicon.gif
1450938072375.jpg

Think the early melb heat wave confused my poor girls. Top of the bines are sporting fully formed cones, a bit further down some of the older bines too.

Only burrs on the rest of them.
same here in Newcastle mate. My hersbrucker is in three stages of burs, forming, fully formed/browning off :blink:

1450938815370.jpg

mofox1 said:
Too farken high to get them before they start browning off... Unless you have a cherry picker.
I found the sacrifice had to be made last season in order to secure my bumper crop;)

The majority of these are first year rhizomes...obviously loved by the previous grower(s) and pretty happy in their new home. Some early hop flowers already browning off from the extreme heat, but plenty of new ones forming. I've also had some damage by something eating the leaves. Cascade, Chinook, and Victoria all seem to be doing very well. (Dwarf) Cluster...not so much.

26-12-15-1.jpg

26-12-15-2.jpg

26-12-15-3.jpg

26-12-15-4.jpg

26-12-15-5.jpg

26-12-15-6.jpg

Has anyone got Goldings in Melbourne forming burrs yet?
First year so I'm not expecting much and I am aware they can be late to the party but I'm starting to get concerned :)

Cascade and POR first year.

Hi lads, first time grower with planting in August. Unusual heat gave me a small crop of POR in October which I left in the garage to dry but then got contaminated with tile cutting dust from my friendly tiler.

But just picked another crop off each yesterday, so excited! Love how fat and fluffy the Cascade cones are.

1451350236234.jpg

1451350307146.jpg

1451350325753.jpg

Troopa said:
Has anyone got Goldings in Melbourne forming burrs yet?
First year so I'm not expecting much and I am aware they can be late to the party but I'm starting to get concerned :)
I don't have Goldings, but can tell you mine are all over the place. Some have flowers browning off, some have not started growing burs. It's been a strange growing season. Fear not, they'll come if the plant is healthy.

hopbur.jpg

First few burs formed overnight in Perth (I'm sure they weren't there yesterday!).

I remember hearing something about not continuing to fertilize while flowers are forming (something to do with it will just encourage more leaf growth and less of a crop?) - or maybe it was just a change in the fertilizer used, can a hop-guru advise?

Belgrave Brewer said:
Some have flowers browning off
Does this mean the flowers have fully matured and past their harvest stage already, or immature flowers just copping it from the sun?

goatus said:
Does this mean the flowers have fully matured and past their harvest stage already, or immature flowers just copping it from the sun?
They came out far too early and copped the heat. They were on the lower laterals and the upper laterals have heaps of burs. It's all good, just all over the place due to such an uncommon growing season this year.

goatus said:
attachicon.gif
hopbur.jpg

First few burs formed overnight in Perth (I'm sure they weren't there yesterday!).

I remember hearing something about not continuing to fertilize while flowers are forming (something to do with it will just encourage more leaf growth and less of a crop?) - or maybe it was just a change in the fertilizer used, can a hop-guru advise?
I'm no expert, just getting started. From what I've read, a Nitrogen only feed is what they need at this stage. I'm concentrating on root growth as most of my rhizomes were planted this year. I gave them a Seasol feed over the weekend.

I friggin hate those green cabbage moth caterpillar ******* fuggin bunghole crawly pricks.

Massive infestation. The soap trick diddnt work. Had to buy some proper spray. Hopefully it will get the buggers.

Higher nitrogen feed is for the growing stages, potassium is for the flowering stage so a fertilizer with a higher potassium level would be beneficial.( remember not to feed on hot days)

Could you recommend a good fertiliser with the high potassium requirements?
At the moment I'm giving mine weekly dilute feedings of Seasol and power feed and they seem to like it.

Back