2016 Hop Plantations, Show Us Your Hop Garden!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1452378544.362870.jpg

Almost 4m tall now

Beer Gold!

A few early ones are ready. I might just chuck these straight into a beer tonight. These are Victoria, but I also have some Cascade and Chinook ready to be picked.

beergold.jpg

victoriahops.jpg

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1452665958.952111.jpg

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1452666008.458240.jpg

I can't believe some people are harvesting already. Especially in Belgrave! ? Very impressive. This is my Victoria. Only at burr stage at the mo.

I know... My 2nd year cascade has a total of 7 flowers. It's a dud year for me over here.... :(

The Judge said:
I know... My 2nd year cascade has a total of 7 flowers. It's a dud year for me over here.... :(
What's your location ?

My Hallertau plant has a number of flowers and burrs on it, also throwing out lateral shoots which are also getting burrs on them. It'd be nice to be able to harvest them all at the same time but I daresay I won't be doing that. :lol:

How long do they take to go from the burr stage to being ready for harvest, or does it vary between varieties/climate conditions?

My first year Cascade produced well last season and I harvested early March. Patience peoples and maybe some carefully diluted liquid fertilizer for blooming etc. Get em to fatten up over the next month or two with flowers. :icon_drool2:

edit: checked my photo's it was mid March they were ripe for the harvest here in Frankenstien south east Victoria.

I've been away a couple of weeks and the Cascade and Chinook have been growing nicely but I've got these fellas hanging around, anyone able to identify them?
Do I need to to anything?

The infant version (I assume) seem like a small bug that has tiny feather out it's back. Couldn't get a photo they were hanging around the vine and the camera wouldn't focus so late at night on them.

IMAG0767.jpg

I've got them moths too, I'm hoping they've been warding off any would be attackers.

image.jpeg

Too many beers for this chap, he's all shrivelled up. The rest of the plant is powering,

Anyone got a theory as to why my plants would have stopped growing vertically, but throwing heaps of new bines and side shoots down at the bottom?

I recently tried cutting off all the growth and leaves down the bottom, as I read that is what you are supposed to do to prevent disease. Could be part of it?

Matplat said:
Anyone got a theory as to why my plants would have stopped growing vertically, but throwing heaps of new bines and side shoots down at the bottom?

I recently tried cutting off all the growth and leaves down the bottom, as I read that is what you are supposed to do to prevent disease. Could be part of it?
How tall did they get before they stopped?

If you have had a scorcher of a day where you are, (we had a 40 degree + in Melbourne last week) then the growing tip has the possibility of getting burned and takes a week or so to recover.

Nah, the growing tips are still good and light green, not woody (except for the cluster which has 20 or so cones mostly developed)... they have probably only got to about 1.5m tall, except EKG which are about 2.5m but they a side shooting most of the way up. Il go and take a photo after i finish my beer (currently being underwhelmed by coopers sparkling)

Matplat said:

After harvesting my hersbrucker it also decided to morph and starting shooting from everywhere. Piccy of it after I took most of the cones off, note all the new growth. I put it down to the bizarre whether here in Newcastle.

1453002655972.jpg

Latest posts

Back