2016 Hop Plantations, Show Us Your Hop Garden!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah that's what i remember hearing - if you give it heaps of nitrogen in the flowering stage, it will give you kickass leaf and root growth, but will expend most of its energy on that and your flower crop will suffer. Probably best to keep giving them nitrogen on first years to maximise the root system for year 2, but otherwise, I think potash was suggested. Maybe something like this? No idea on the usage rates for hops though.

Must Note: I'm in no way a gardening expert, much closer to gardening incompetent. Can anybody that isn't as incompetent tell me if the potassium is better in the soil or sprayed onto the leaves for this purpose? Will it get to the flowers either way?

Once cones start forming, will the plant generally stop growing in height/vegetation? My cluster has formed cones and it looks like the growing tips have gone a bit woody like they ain't go in no further... But it's January and I was expecting a lot more height! ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1451598548.025602.jpg

First year super alpha has started going nuts! Went away for a week and put the top bit of bamboo on "just in case". Good thing I did! Was only about 4' tall or so and now about 11'.

First year cascade in the background has some catching up to do.

Pretty happy with this growth given the climate up here in Dalby certainly isn't ideal. Will have to see if they end up producing anything. Good fun growing the bines anyway

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1451641910.362802.jpg

osprey brewday said:
Noticed these on my cascade today do these turn into the hops. First time grower unsure of the cycle can some one explain
Thanks
attachicon.gif
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1451643182.288324.jpg
Yep they're burrs. My Hallertau has quite a number of them on it in various stages of development.

This is one that was a burr like those probably about 1.5 - 2 weeks ago.

002.JPG

HOP GROWERS IN SYDNEY:

Had a call from a young lady in Sydney today trying to get access to some hop flowers to do a photo shoot.

If you can let her have access to some of your hops, please give Steph from Momentum Worldwide a quick text / call with details on 0424160617.

Thanks,
Martin

[attachment=85960:ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1452290085.629179.jpg

First year super alpha beginning to get some burrs forming I think

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1452290085.629179.jpg
    ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1452290085.629179.jpg
    805.7 KB · Views: 41
Some of my first-year bines are today reaching the top of the trellis/ropes I have set up - about 12 foot tall.
Should I be looking to make something taller, or is it reasonable to just leave it at this point in time, as they are starting to make burrs as per pic in post above?
From what I have read height growth and cone production are competing for nutrients etc anyway.

Those are my POR and this last one is a Cascade cutting I started in a beer bottle of water. I didn't expect it to grow the way it has, but it ties the tomato plant to the fence so I'll just let it do its thing.

Latest posts

Back