2016 Hop Plantations, Show Us Your Hop Garden!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It looks like a lack of nutes. I doubt your plant is going well in that pot. Is it ceramic? Black absorbs heat and will be frying the crapper out of the sides of your pot. It will be dry a few inches in around the edges and preventing proper uptake of nutes. If you can mate you should just plant it in the ground. It will go off. Or you could just wrap the pot in foil to deflect the heat. Works a treat for meat on a webber. What kind of feeding do you give it? Both water and nutes. Hops are nitrogen hungry so if you are not already, get yourself some seasol and powerfeed to fertilise. The seasol will help repair the roots and make your rhizome stronger/larger. It will also then improve uptake of other nutes. Powerfeed will give it an all round feed of nitrogen phosphorus and potassium. Brown spots are normally a lack of phosphorus and or potassium. The yellowing is notrogen deficiency. Work out the dosage so you can give them a feed every 3-4 days instead of fortnightly. Having access to more frequently over massive dosing is more efficient. Did you add any organic material into the pot? Horse poo or compost or both? If not you can add a ring of poo around the rim of your pot, and fill in the rest with good soil or compost. Then get some sort of straw mulch on top. You can try and make up a spray bottle with nutrients in it, and apply to the leaves in the evening. They should absorb enough to correct some of the defficency. Hope that helps.

It's a plastic pot about 500mm diameter. I wanted bigger pots, but couldn't find any at the big green shed that weren't bloody heavy and expensive ceramic/terracotta things. The rhizomes were planted in these in potting mix, and I put some Osmocote herb fertiliser on them earlier today, first time since planting. I think there is some Seasol or similar around here somewhere so I'll give that a go as well. They get watered every morning before I go to work, and in the afternoons as well. That bine is the only one out of 5 that is showing those symptoms, which seems a bit odd but anyway. The foil idea sounds good though.

Unfortunately the ground soil here is bloody hard clay shit, it's harder than a flat cricket pitch and doesn't even crack up when it is dry for periods of time. Not much use for growing anything really, and I'll be damned if I'm gonna try and dig enough of it out to replace it with good soil. :lol: So pots it is, however I'm on 4 weeks holidays after tomorrow so I might go and do a bit of hunting around for some really big ones and replant them in those next winter.

The bine could be coming off a part of the rhizome that is close to the edge. What did you put in the pot soil wise? As for your yard, it is all in the preparation. Dig deep and mix in gympsum to break up the clay. Lots of animal poo to introduce organic matter (i use buttloads of horse poo, it's my favourite) that will bring the worms that will help break everything up. If you get to it before winter, you will be set before next season. Potting mox isn't quite enough to promote strong growth of the rhizome. If you can get organic material in there it will help with all of the micronutrients that the other fertilisers lack. Looked like you still had plenty of room at the top of the pot. The roots will grow into this area and will benefit alot.

From what I have heard on gardening radio ABC, you need to break the soil with a gardening fork then add a hand full of gypsum per square metre which will help loosen the clay,then adding compost etc and working it over will give you good growing ground.
Go on do it,work up a thirst for a home brew .

If you want to have a go at breaking this concrete with a gardening fork, you're welcome to have at it. :p It's ridiculous, I don't know how the grass manages to grow in it at all to be honest, but anyway.

We do have a whole bin of chook poo pellets so I could use some of that in there? The original rhizome itself was only about 6 inches long and planted basically in the centre of the pot. Since then it's sprouted 5 or 6 bines. The plants are growing quite well and quite quickly now they're getting bigger, it's just that one bine that has this issue on the leaves for some reason, but it's still climbing up the wire and not showing any signs of slowing down. I'll try and find this Seasol stuff tomorrow, and also give the chook pellets a go.

Chook pellets are good, they just take longer to break down. You can also make a tea out of the pellets to make a liquid fertiliser. You can make heaps cause it needs to be diluted when applying. Adding the pellets on top though will give the roots frequent access to nutrients.

Cool, I'll dump some of them on there tomorrow then. :)

Any ideas why it's only one bine being affected by it though? None of the others is showing these symptoms.

That's the reason I'm sure it's not blight or any other disease otherwise the whole plant would be affected. All of the bines are competing for nutrients, so if the bine with the problem is trying to source its food from a dry area it's not going to get much. The rest of the rhizome maybe able to drink up enough water to keep it from drying out, but the lack of access to nutrients will do what is doing with yours. There are lots of little roots hanging off the main rhizomes, but the dry up and die if they get close to the edge of the pot. They are the ones you want to make happy, cause they are the mouth of your plant.

Foil the pot, chicken pellets and compost the top, then cover with mulch. Mulch is just as important, it keeps the surface from drying out.

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1449773130.705840.jpg
Victoria going pretty well. Still haven't had consistent hot weather up here in the hills north of Melbourne.

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1449773250.117090.jpg
First year Cluster. She's gunna have to learn to grow sideways until next season

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1449773344.179200.jpg
Second year Cascade. Hopefully will fire up soon

No never heard of that, I believe the commercial manufacturers of hop oil use steam.
The latest, greatest extraction method is with liquid CO2. Not really suited to home extraction.

Rocker1986 said:
Sounds like a plan mate, thanks for that advice. Which type of mulch would be best?
I like to use sugar cane mulch, normally $10-15 for a massive block of it. It does a great job of keeping everything moist.

Rocker it could also be scorching if you have watered and hit the leaves on a sunny day they can scorch, if its not to many leaves I would be removing them to be on the safe side, mineral deficiency usually cause a yellowing of leaves. Strange it is on one plant and not the other, Kunfaced is right about the black pots, if you can get some sisolation and wrap it around the pot it will help.

Plenty of growth.

20151212_165805_resized.jpg

Hopefully going to get enough early harvest this season for a new year brew.

20151212_165839_resized.jpg

Latest posts

Back