2016 Hop Plantations, Show Us Your Hop Garden!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Judanero said:
:lol: I warned you! I'll try and get a pick of the Hers remnant that has shot up in the garden.. Must really like the Newcastle climate.
she has such a different growth structure than last season mate. I just can't get over the pace of the laterals growing day by day.

Judanero said:
:lol: I warned you! I'll try and get a pick of the Hers remnant that has shot up in the garden.. Must really like the Newcastle climate.
But what are the hops like?
I have a Hersbrucker growing for the last few years and it's always been stunted with no hops at all.
Are they floral, spicy, or otherwise?

Les the Weizguy said:
But what are the hops like?
I have a Hersbrucker growing for the last few years and it's always been stunted with no hops at all.
Are they floral, spicy, or otherwise?
I harvested about a kilo dry from last season and that was a first year. I have found it to be very aromatic (floral) and characterised by fruit and spice. The cones grow loose pack but extremely resinous.

Starting to train the hops along the horizontal runs now (cascade and chinook) with goldings still throwing out plenty of laterals from the single bine along the fence.

1448158139619.jpg

1448158150192.jpg

1448158170931.jpg

Yeah I'm pretty interested to see how difficult it will be. I'm thinking I'll have to let them grow reasonably long on their own when they reach the horizontal end and then wind them down from there, then just repeat once a week or so, letting them get long again and wind them down. Time will tell how difficult it will be, but I'm somewhat optimistic.

Curly79 said:
More like limbs than bines on that thing bottlo! That thing is thriving. Nice work.
Cheers curly, I decided to measure the longest outreaching lateral and measured just shy of 1500. I am pretty fond of this variety due to its high yield, sweet aroma and sticky sticky resin, all that pending how well she sums up this season but I am very confident she will produce the goods again.

eresh666 said:
Guys,

2nd season hops now starting to go crazy however is this mildew? Anyone recommend something from bunnings/mitre10 I can buy to fix this as its starting to effect the growth of the overall plant.

I'm sure something is taking the occasional chomp out of the leaves however never seen any slugs/snails/caterpillar/mites on them.

I think I found the problem, very hard to see caterpillars. (bought some already made up eco-oil, if that doesnt work perhaps something stronger will have to do).

B) Something a little different. This is a scrawny cutting from my Cascade just buried in the gravel of an Aquaponics bed. Any cutting of anything I have placed into the gravel propagates. Something to say for organic eco systems. It was limp for a day or two then dormant for another 4 days now grown 2 inches all after umm,,8 or 9 days maybe from planting it. I did this experiment late last season as well and the leaves eventually fell off so I pulled the stems out only to find a whole bunch of new root system. These hops are pretty awesome.

The Cascades at the moment. Not a good pic. There is 3 IBC whicking beds, a bunch in the backround you cant see. The silver sheet on the south fence to barrier an invasive monster Ivy and to reflect light back and deter Aphids in a scrawny backyard. The hops actually serve a double perpose. They will canopy over the bird netting to shade the grow beds over the hottest of summer for a nicer environment for the vegies and stuff. Compact gardening. B)

I pulled a little chinook zome that was growing out of place and threw in the planter at the end of the shed, gunna 'allow' it to take over and shade the brewery in the next couple of years..

should look pretty good and keep more light away from the tank water drums.

Futureplanning.jpg

I've got a house inspection Thursday, as soon as that's done I'll be screwing timber to the house to optimize hop climbage.

Benn said:
I've got a house inspection Thursday, as soon as that's done I'll be screwing timber to the house to optimize hop climbage.
Just strings will do. Self tapping eyehooks etc. All can be easily removed when the season is finished with little to no trace it even happened.

2 weeks ago I took 5 cuttings from my Victoria hop plant and stick them in a glass of water on the windowsill. Four of them have started making rootlets and one was limp so the fifth was tossed and these are going to stay in the water.

Just want to know at what length roots should I put them into pots?

1448670222731.jpg

Awesome. Cheers mate. But I've done it differently. I've just taken cuttings of shoots and put them in water. Just wondering when I should transfer them to soil

As in those pics in the link, he moved his into a bigger container to allow the roots to grow some more, if you have some 3 inch pots lying around put the into those until it grows more roots the stick them in the ground, use a decent potting mix though, or some rotted down compost if you have any.

NikZak said:
2 weeks ago I took 5 cuttings from my Victoria hop plant and stick them in a glass of water on the windowsill. Four of them have started making rootlets and one was limp so the fifth was tossed and these are going to stay in the water.

Just want to know at what length roots should I put them into pots?
i found this is one of the only ways for me to grow my own hops, im not the best at cuttings and propagation etc...
but you just stick these in water and wait... i left mine in for 2-3 weeks at least behind a window inside the house.. so it gets (less harsher) sun and cooler temps than outside (perth summer)

after that i planted them gently into soil with some support for them to grow and a week later they have doubled in size and still going strong.. finally a win
these were the roots when i planted them
gallery_40322_1334_445214.jpg

and heres my little setup... hops at home in the stein glass... some twine to hold them up.. alfoil to reflect some light and heat...
gallery_40322_1334_36796.jpg

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1448766473.647229.jpgImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1448766495.996618.jpg

First time growing hops and my cascade is coming along alright

Latest posts

Back