2015 Hop Plantations, Show Us Your Hop Garden!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
n87 said:
One more thing... is that a Godin in the background there?
Ibanez.
Double cut away blah blah blah
It's Kel's (and occasionally mine) but I'm shit unless you consider the intro to "wish you were here" to be awesome guitaring.

I can smash out twinkle twinkle little star for the kids though...

Talk about timing, I just listened to wish you were here while transferring a brew into the cube, probably while you were writing that post :ph34r:

My second harvest for the season looks ready to pick but the rain from cyclone Marcia has started and might not be easing up for a while. Hoping to pick as soon as it dries up again and fingers crossed that strong winds don't cause any damage.

All the best with that Liquid.
Stay safe!!!

Haha yeah I guess the tanks will be getting a good top up. To be honest I don't think we'll cop it too much where I am, by the looks of it Gladstone/Bundaberg will be getting the brunt of it.

10 minutes tooling about this morning and I have a drying rack (un finished)

a sneaky half kilo picked yesterday, welts up both arms.. long sleeves while picking are a must.. I knew this for for some reason, decided a tank top was appropriate... lesson learned, pick early morning, not late afternoon

top.JPG

Loose basket and a bit of left over fly screen

Side.JPG

:super:

Yob said:
10 minutes tooling about this morning and I have a drying rack (un finished)

a sneaky half kilo picked yesterday, welts up both arms.. long sleeves while picking are a must.. I knew this for for some reason, decided a tank top was appropriate... lesson learned, pick early morning, not late afternoon

attachicon.gif
top.JPG

Loose basket and a bit of left over fly screen

attachicon.gif
Side.JPG

:super:
Chinook mate?

So I should still be trimming back any new shoots to encourage flower growth, right?

So do you just give them a shake every now and then yob? Looks easier then laying them flat

yep, just give em a toss every few hours during the day as I walk past..

Thought Id share it as many of us have spare freezer baskets laying about and or fridge shelving that can be easily utilized.

Yob said:
Probably, I didn't worry about it.
See all my plants this year are pretty bushy down low but I've got very little up high and almost no cones to speak of. :(

Maybe 20 cones on a first year cascade but both my second year plants (tetnang and willamette) are just bushy down the bottom with not a lot up top. Lots of new shoots though

kahlerisms said:
So I should still be trimming back any new shoots to encourage flower growth, right?
I'm no expert, but if you have about 6 or so healthy bines on each plant, you could probably trim them. A word of caution though, I was tempted to trim them earlier on when I had 3-4 healthy bines, but decided to wait and see. Luckily i did, because the next bines became the most prolific.

10959895_849696995088402_7228847160085852036_n.jpg

10952889_849696965088405_9073688976717623624_o.jpg

Just 20g wet of each of Cascade and Chinook for the whirlpool addition yesterday.

IMG_2185.JPG

First harvest of my Cascade first year plant, in a 32L pot.

Still got about a third more cones to come good than whats already picked, but they won't be far off. 648gms is a result I am certainly not going to shirk!

6kg wet and counting .probably still another 2-3kg to mature. I'm feeling a cascade 120 min iipa coming on perhaps. B

1424485472439.jpg

bronson said:
6kg wet and counting .probably still another 2-3kg to mature. I'm feeling a cascade 120 min iipa coming on perhaps. B
6 kg picked and more to come ! Holy snapping duckshit,that's a top crop no doubt.

Well jelly guys.
Mine have only just shot up shoots.
Hops don't grow here cos I'm too far north but seem to be growing. Be interested to see if I get anything.
Perhaps I should try and get Cluster - QLDs fav hop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back