2015 Hop Plantations, Show Us Your Hop Garden!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
carniebrew said:
Let this guide you curly: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TlsT-x19III
good vid.

How long do you guys usually dry your hops for. I've got mine on a Screen in a warmish bathroom. Sometime. I have a fan in the room to circulate air when the Mrs doesn't steal it or turn it off. Have had them drying for 5. Days and they seem dry... But how dry is dry?

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1423462666.584427.jpg

Just picked a victoria flower to have a look. Not quite ready yet. They are sticky little things :)

IsonAd said:
How long do you guys usually dry your hops for. I've got mine on a Screen in a warmish bathroom. Sometime. I have a fan in the room to circulate air when the Mrs doesn't steal it or turn it off. Have had them drying for 5. Days and they seem dry... But how dry is dry?
Few answers on google mate. Seems like a dry dark area with a fan spread out on fly screen or similar will dry them in one day. Dry dark area like under your house etc. will take about a week. They are dry when the stem snaps rather than bends.
I'm far from an expert so look into it yourself or any other suggestions will be appreciated as I would like to know myself. Cheers

G'day everyone. This is a Cascade which my Melbourne sister gave me for Christmas 2 years ago, so it's in its second Summer after a late planting the first year. We're stoked by what we're seeing. We really weren't expecting too much from this, especially as it's in Brisbane.

image.jpg image (1).jpg

We've also got some Golding, Hallertau and Hersbrucker from Muscovy on this forum but not much to report as they're in their first year.

Weighed some of my picked hops. Only a small sample size. Spread on fly screen in garage.

6 hop cones were 6.8g. 12 hours 4.8g. 24 hours 3.6g. Shooting for 1.5g so perhaps one more day.

IsonAd said:
When you think they are dry, bag them for 24 hours then air again for 24 hours,

Give them a rub in your palm, they should break up but not disintegrate, you'll feel if they are still overly damp.

Just in time for a great big thunderstorm. Good luck everyone.

First year Cascade at the new house (big rhizome planted). Should get a decent crop for a harvest ale.

IMG_927702508612663.jpeg

Adamski29 said:
First year Cascade at the new house (big rhizome planted). Should get a decent crop for a harvest ale.
bloody hell, I was going to say if that is off a 1st year standard "share" size rhyzome, I'm coming to your house with a trailer and a shovel to borrow some dirt.

Rob.P said:
bloody hell, I was going to say if that is off a 1st year standard "share" size rhyzome, I'm coming to your house with a trailer and a shovel to borrow some dirt.
I've been growing Cascade for four years and when we moved into the new house I made a bed up with a mushroom compost blend. Cut out a chunk of rhizome about the size of a soccer ball from my parents house and bunged it in the bed. Should get a decent crop out of this pseudo first year plant!

Adamski29 said:
I've been growing Cascade for four years and when we moved into the new house I made a bed up with a mushroom compost blend. Cut out a chunk of rhizome about the size of a soccer ball from my parents house and bunged it in the bed. Should get a decent crop out of this pseudo first year plant!
Ads, I would love to get a piece of that rhizome if you are keen to spare some come time.
My first year didn't survive this season and I am after some strong wood for next season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back