2015 Hop Plantations, Show Us Your Hop Garden!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I see you are a fellow Essendon supporter Mardoo. We know nothing of any such thing.

Got my rigging up today.

1414278842234.jpg

1414278855851.jpg

1414278869574.jpg

Well, after The Great Ferntree Gully Hop Massacre my babies are on the mend. I can say that blood and bone meal definitely works to repel possums. I've been scattering it around my pots and haven't had any further issues. Curious to see what the weeds around the pots will be like this year though...

Unmolested Goldings:
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1414281673.463559.jpg

All new sprouts eaten since first one, with two weeks of recovery:
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1414281746.408161.jpg

I also took the time to get some lines up for them and do the irrigation. The trellising isn't what I wanted but it'll do. Hopefully I'll find a source by next season for the 4 meter posts I wanted to do the traditional bush pole style.

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1414281943.729008.jpg
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1414281967.560035.jpgImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1414281996.384867.jpg

Rob.P said:
Got my rigging up today.
You have your pots arranged so that each pot has 4 strings going to 1 overhead wire. Have you considered arranging your pots so that you have 2 strings from each pot going to each overhead wire? That would allow more light in and may give you a better crop. You might even be able to put 3 strings up to each wire from each pot. That would give you a total of 12 strings, if you know what I mean.

The bigger the framework of bines, the bigger the yield you should get, assuming you are feeding and watering your hop plants well.

hoppy2B said:
You have your pots arranged so that each pot has 4 strings going to 1 overhead wire. Have you considered arranging your pots so that you have 2 strings from each pot going to each overhead wire? That would allow more light in and may give you a better crop. You might even be able to put 3 strings up to each wire from each pot. That would give you a total of 12 strings, if you know what I mean.

The bigger the framework of bines, the bigger the yield you should get, assuming you are feeding and watering your hop plants well.
yeah I hey what you are saying. Would take me about 2 minutes to change as I have the string pegged down and bit attached to the pots.

Rob.P said:
yeah I hey what you are saying. Would take me about 2 minutes to change as I have the string pegged down and bit attached to the pots.
Yeah that's the shot. Put up as many strings as you can and put as much space between the strings as you can.

hoppy2B said:
Yeah that's the shot. Put up as many strings as you can and put as much space between the strings as you can.
Im not sure how to tell the boss the clothes line has to go. ..

Rob.P said:
Im not sure how to tell the boss the clothes line has to go. ..
And I thought your biggest problem would be mowing around them. :D

Rob.P said:
Got my rigging up today.
Gotta say,your better half must be a very understanding woman,having a " plant " so close to the clothes line were it could cause a problem.

I know I said I wouldn't post for a while. I lied...

What I think is the first sign of a hop cone?

Got mine going too :D
I've got a variety of rhizomes as I'm not sure what will work in the QLD summer heat...
Got, Cascade, POR, Goldings, Red Earth and Flinders.

Here's a picture of my growth this far.
I make sure I water them plenty, and so far it looks pretty good :)

2015HopGarden01_zpsb1217055.jpg

I can't run them upwards that high, as I live close to the beach, and I'm worried the wind will break them.
The training seems to work ok though.

Cheers
Martin

After just over 3 months since the first shoot emerging from the ground one of my bines has finally found its way to the line.

Goldings First touch.jpg
Goldings

Must not have been giving them enough water methinks. The dripper system still needs some adjustments since its gravity fed (leaving them turned off didn't help either). I was really beginning to get jealous from all the photos I've been seeing on here so pretty glad to see them making an effort at last.

Massive hop envy... I live in Darwin and this is impossible here.!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back