2015 Hop Plantations, Show Us Your Hop Garden!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
One of Smurtos zomes. There's two of these double leafed shoots popping up and, considering that the humulus lupulus is a dicot, that falls in line with what I was expecting.

Wow look at all you guys with shoots already.

Last year I didn't plant until September. I haven't even looked yet to see if I've got shoots this year and i've got four more plants.

A question for the more experienced growers on transplanting. I have 2 x Wilamette and 2x Tetnang in pots from last year. The pots have quite a bit of head space at the top.

My initial thought was to dig up my rhizomes (I think they'd be crown-like now) and replant them a lot closer to the top of the pot (with a lot more soil) but it's now also occurred to me to just top the pot up to the rim and wait for the shoots to make it to the top.

Any thoughts?

I tried to dig one up once but it seemed pretty fragile. I think if I do try again it'll be with a lot of water so the soil is looser.

New this is year are 4x Cascade in two huge half barrels. I planted them in early July but hadn't thought to go check them out yet. Will do today.

I will be building a timelapse camera this weekend to document the growth of all my plants this year.

OneEye said:
One of Smurtos zomes. There's two of these double leafed shoots popping up and, considering that the humulus lupulus is a dicot, that falls in line with what I was expecting.
na mate, the bines will have a larger girth than that little thing.

@ kahlerisms - get em in the soil if you can, re pot to larger pots is fine, get the biggest pots you can, you want soil to within about an inch of the top of the pot so you can mulch the last inch...

:icon_cheers:

Yob said:
na mate, the bines will have a larger girth than that little thing.

@ kahlerisms - get em in the soil if you can, re pot to larger pots is fine, get the biggest pots you can, you want soil to within about an inch of the top of the pot so you can mulch the last inch...

:icon_cheers:
Whats the mulch for? to deter mould?

They're in pots, they're in the soil. They've been there since last year when I had a whopping 14gram harvest.

The thing is there's maybe 6-8 inches of pot above the soil line. my question is:

1) Should I do anything?
2) If so, should I pile soil on top to the rim of the pot and wait until my little hop ******* friends work their way through it
3) OR, should I dig the crowns up and plant them as close to the top of the pot as I can, so they can grow down more this year

Edit: for clarity, source pot and destination pot are the same pot. I'm just considering moving them up in the pot.

kahlerisms said:
They're in pots, they're in the soil. They've been there since last year when I had a whopping 14gram harvest.

The thing is there's maybe 6-8 inches of pot above the soil line. my question is:

1) Should I do anything?
2) If so, should I pile soil on top to the rim of the pot and wait until my little hop ******* friends work their way through it
3) OR, should I dig the crowns up and plant them as close to the top of the pot as I can, so they can grow down more this year

been wondering the same thing. i dug up the soil a bit a few days ago and saw the root system building up and a few shoots starting to work their way to the top... but looks like they will be making their way slowly..... wondering if i put them too deep. i read in a few places that the zomes should be planted about an inch or two from the top. mine are much deeper. 4-6 inches.

I am no expert but everything I have read has said to plant them close to the surface. If I was in your position I would try to tip everything you have in out keeping it all together and then put new potting mix in and then put the old mix on top and backfill the edges. I am no expert or even a novice green thumb but trying to reduce the disturbance to the plant sounds like a good idea.
Also for the guys in Sydney. Should we be worried with all the rain we have been having?

Punkal said:
I am no expert but everything I have read has said to plant them close to the surface. If I was in your position I would try to tip everything you have in out keeping it all together and then put new potting mix in and then put the old mix on top and backfill the edges. I am no expert or even a novice green thumb but trying to reduce the disturbance to the plant sounds like a good idea.
Also for the guys in Sydney. Should we be worried with all the rain we have been having?
i would agree, in my limited experience with gardening, minimising disturbance to the root system is always important and would probably take precedent over attempting to get the zome an inch or two closer to the top of the soil. worst case scenario if you leave it alone is waiting a few extra days for the bines to show up. the flip side has risks of damaging the root system.

i'd say just let her be.

Punkal said:
I am no expert but everything I have read has said to plant them close to the surface. If I was in your position I would try to tip everything you have in out keeping it all together and then put new potting mix in and then put the old mix on top and backfill the edges.
Wow! that seems a remarkably simple idea that I'd not thought of.

Thanks! I'll give that a bash :)

Just chuck a load of manure on top of it Kahlerisms. That will feed your plant and any shoots growing up through it will turn into new rhizome.

kahlerisms said:
Wow look at all you guys with shoots already.

Last year I didn't plant until September. I haven't even looked yet to see if I've got shoots this year and i've got four more plants.

A question for the more experienced growers on transplanting. I have 2 x Wilamette and 2x Tetnang in pots from last year. The pots have quite a bit of head space at the top.

My initial thought was to dig up my rhizomes (I think they'd be crown-like now) and replant them a lot closer to the top of the pot (with a lot more soil) but it's now also occurred to me to just top the pot up to the rim and wait for the shoots to make it to the top.

Any thoughts?

I tried to dig one up once but it seemed pretty fragile. I think if I do try again it'll be with a lot of water so the soil is looser.

New this is year are 4x Cascade in two huge half barrels. I planted them in early July but hadn't thought to go check them out yet. Will do today.

I will be building a timelapse camera this weekend to document the growth of all my plants this year.
I'm no expert Kahlerisms but if it was me I'd try and pull the whole lot out of the pot, feather the edges of the mass with your fingers and repot them either in bigger pots or by adding soil to the bottom of the current pots and bringing them closer to the top of the pot (no sense wasting space needed for root growth). Growing in pots restricts drainage so you should always use good potting mix. Potting mix breaks down over time so needs renewal every year or so, hence why plants sink into the pots.
I reckon half barrels are the minimum sized pot you should use. Two of my varieties are in a 200l plastic drum cut in half with big drainage holes, a cheap alternative to wine barrels.
And like Yob says leave some room for mulch as it will help reduce evaporation and insulate the soil in the height of Summer. This is critical when using pots IMO.

OneEye said:
My Victoria has too... Looks a little different to yours though

attachicon.gif
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1409107246.656124.jpg
OneEye...that's a weed. Hop shoots look like baby asaparagus.

I've gone from this:

To this:

…in like 2-3 weeks. Just this one particular cascade rhizome. I replanted a few others I had, and I had found I planted a few the wrong way, and they had shoots going in the wrong directions. This one though…it's going nuts. Sydney, partial sun at the moment. Had it covered for most of this recent rain event.

Chinook and Perle just starting to show some signs of life.

Very nice six. Can't wait till mine sprout! Show us some progress pics :)

Sent from my iPhone using Aussie Home Brewer

Very nice six. Can't wait till mine sprout! Show us some progress pics :)

Sent from my iPhone using Aussie Home Brewer

Stumbled across this thread and thought I better check my 'zomes.
Been in the ground since last season, courtesy of Yob.

After clearing most of the grass, I discovered this. The Vic is looking enthusiastic.

Should I be trimming off most of those bines?
IMAG0125.jpg

I started building my trellis today the pole is 6mts long but once I put (600mm) some in the ground and lose some to the height of my wine barrell it should be about 4.8 high. Untill next year or the year after when I build a garden at ground level.
I've made it so I can lower the cross arm come harvest time.
Still gotta put some smaller eyelets on the under side of the cross beam to attach something for the vine to climb. I thinking about 5 pieces of Telstra rope and just anchor it to the wine barrell or something.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1409378724.254500.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1409378758.803925.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1409378810.720065.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1409378857.469164.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1409378922.886567.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back