2015 Hop Plantations, Show Us Your Hop Garden!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
99 out of 100 even!

Sent from my iPhone using Aussie Home Brewer

High standards then..

Back on topic, will have 5 varieties growing this year.

POR
Cascade
Chinook
Perle
Tettnang

Thinking I should have have gone for another citrus and would have liked a goldings aswell.

Umm. Yeah. That was it...?

Just got my rhizomes in the mail off midnight brew. They look the goods and are in the ground already

So now that's one goldings one chinook. One cluster one cascade. Can't wait to see how they go. How long will a freshly planted zome take to appear?

I have buds !! WOOP WOOP

Good times!!

So I've got a cascase and a chinook planted in pots. As of today they have both put out a tiny little shoot. While checking them out like a proud father I noticed heeeeaps of tiny tiny white bugs jumping around the edge of the pot. There was a fair few running around on the soil (at the edges still) and the way they were jumping it looked as if they were trying to escape by jumping out and not making it over the wall of the pot. Anyone got any ideas what they would be and if I need to do anything about them?

Not aphids ??

I can't help sorry.

Finally built my slightly oversized arbor. !!!
It's a temporary measure at the rental house until I get the new house built and the hops go in the ground.
The pots I have are not ideal but the plants will survive. !
3 strings per plant that split in to six up top.
Arbor is 3m high. ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1408690664.110595.jpg
Shoots just shoring, plenty more under the mulch.
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1408690700.243410.jpg

Good times.
Now the process of watering and fertilizing. Haha
Spending more than what it is worth come harvest time ! ....but you just have to have a passion hey. !?!?

CF
Edit; both cascade plants.

No idea koots. ? Photo? And crooked that looks fantastic! What sort of twine did you use? I gotta put up some strings for mine

Thanks mate.
It's just a green hessian twine I got from bunnings. Each cord is two lengths twisted together.
I do this because when you get stray laterals or new growth that needs support you can tuck it between the two and hold it up.

CF

Well its been a long time with life and other hobbies getting in the way but I have finally made some time. I put the 2 rhizomes I got on Tuesday into pots toady, I was going to do it yesterday but the missus had other plans.
I got a Cascade and a Cluster and put up 3 strings per pot, I only have the strings attached to the roof, and they are around 3m high so not ideal but they should shade the house as well.

Now I just need to get all my equipment together and fix the kegging system (I need a new freezer) so I can put a few brews down.

koots said:
So I've got a cascase and a chinook planted in pots. As of today they have both put out a tiny little shoot. While checking them out like a proud father I noticed heeeeaps of tiny tiny white bugs jumping around the edge of the pot. There was a fair few running around on the soil (at the edges still) and the way they were jumping it looked as if they were trying to escape by jumping out and not making it over the wall of the pot. Anyone got any ideas what they would be and if I need to do anything about them?
Double Jeopardy for 100 points. What is a lucerne flea?

Lucerne hay, a nitrogen fixing mulch.

Personally I use it spent after the rabbits have a go at it for bedding, bunnies are good like that, enriching your mulch. For those who don't have bunnies lucern is far better mulch than anything else on the market. Yes it is expensive but the plusses outweigh the cost. Seaweed is also good. You can't just throw anything on top of plants many will create nitrogen draw down, use more nitrogen than they produce, blocking this essential growth element from the plant. If using other mulch feed with chook poo thickly then mulch as this will counter balance the mulch.

Hops are a nitrogen hungry plant, see the growth rates, with a balanced diet they will do well. If in doubl liquid feed 1/2 strength.

Can anyone suggest a suitable liquid fertiliser to use?

Seasol mate, great stuff, i use it for everything

My Victoria has too... Looks a little different to yours though

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1409107246.656124.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back