2013 Melb Xmas Case Swap

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mash
My mash tun is 130L. I have only used up to about 26kg of grain in it before. It can defiantly hold a fair bit more. We have the option of mashing fairly thick (2L/kg) and sparge a lot.
However since we have idzy's 50L tun, we may as well use it and not stress.

Sparge
My 50L keggle + idzy's 50L HLT +yobs 70HLT.
(are there enough electrics to run both yobs and idzys HLTs at the same time?)

Boil
My kettle is ~200L (44/50 gal stainless drum).
My burner has no problem boiling ~150L.
So we should use my kettle and burner to boil the whole lot.

I will bring my gas bottles and burner.
I have a backup 3 ring burner that I will bring along just in case we need some thing else heated using gas.

Since Damn is bringing the mill it looks like it is all sorted equipment wise for the actual brew.

anything forgotten?

edit- dijar007 posted while I was typing
the 100L mash tun might be handy but not 100% essential
I dio not have HERMS Yet either, I step by adding boiling water

Can anyone pick up my hops in advance as I will be at the BB all morning..Also have a grain mill handy if you need it..My HEX is not properly wired up yet..but may be by then???

Grainer

Grainer said:
Can anyone pick up my hops in advance as I will be at the BB all morning..Also have a grain mill handy if you need it..My HEX is not properly wired up yet..but may be by then???

Grainer
Where do the hops need to be picked up from?

Cheltenham or Clayton or at the Bulk Buy in the morning..

It finishes at 11am.. Then will take me about an hour to get home and then an hour out to FG. So guessing I will get there about 2pm or so..

Hmm 2pm seems a bit late yeah? Agreed we should crack on early. Ideally 9am grain 10am start. Obviously Grainer will need to be at the bulk buy. Can anyone else put their hand up? I will probably habe hosting duties.

Do we have a mill arranged?

Also, do ppl usually pitch a tent or sleeping bag or what? If anyone is keen to stay I might be able to organise something?

Id probably stay (I have a 1man/6 woman tent) and I have a mill as well

Will be staying, tent can also bring a mill..

BB is at 9 so I expect that even if someone were picking stuff up, bare minimum to mash in will be 11.. In my experience, it doesn't go smoothly enough to put money on that..

I can pick the stuff up on the way through from the Bb. Early as possible . will check in later to look at details. On the run now.

I can pick up the grain at 9am from the BB (it is my order anyway) and then head straight to idzy's place. I will get the hops from Grainer as the same time.

Otherwise djar can pick up my order and the hops from grainer and I can head straight to idzy's place to help setup and begging heating up the mash in water.

I'll be going past Clayton Friday arvo. Let me know if/what I can pick-up. I trust it's at Keg King? I'm going anyhow. I can get to the swap nice and early.

At the BB will be good.. Now I just have to remember to pay for the BB ... LOL .. and bring the stuff along for you

GrumpyPaul said:
I dug up some inventory notes I had and I reckon I have the following you can use.

CTZ 13.1%AA - approx 125g
Nuggett 12.8%AA - approx 190g
Appolo 18.5% AA - approx 190g

(Ifigured the AA details might help with your planning)

From my reading Nugget and Appollo are substitutes for CTZ. Appollo is particularly recomended for bittering.

As I said - you guys are welcome to what ever you need - I am never going to use it all.
Dont forget - I am still happy to throw in any of these hops if you guys want to use them for the brew.

And from my place in Boronia i could literally just about throw them to Ferntree Gully

Okay then. Kick on at mine around 10am let's say?

I'm in for shit's & giggles (no drinking, no swapping & no cubes required), but will be at the BB earlier in the day, so a late-arrival.

In the words of the Great Sage Schwarzenegger - "Give me your address there".

Yob said:
6kg Pale Mallt x 6 = 36kg Relaxed Brewer
270g Light Crystal (45?) x 6 = 1600g Relaxed Brewer
272g Carapils x 6 = 1632g Relaxed Brewer
340g Dex x6 = 2.04kg (Yob 2040g)

800g Acidulated (Yob 800g) ???

Hops

Columbus 99g @ 90 x6 = 594g djar007-594
Columbus 21g @ 45 x6 = 126g djar007-126
Simcoe 28g @ 30 x6 = 168g Yob - 168
Centennial 28g @ 0 x6 = 168g Grainer - 168
Simcoe 71g @ 0 x6 = 426g Grainer - 100 / Yob - 326
So... last leg of this race..

Has the recipe been put through any software yet by anyone to see what volumes are required? AA% adjustment of hop weights? (minor matter).

I'll also bung the HEX in the car in case we want to use it.. better to have it and not want it han want it and not have it ;) (though it may be best to not complicate things further)

130lt mast tun seems like a good size, as said though it may be best to use the 2 systems and combine in the boil... we defo dont want a stuck sparge :ph34r: ... again... at least there is no effing oats this time...

idzy said:
Okay then. Kick on at mine around 10am let's say?
Might be close enough to send out the details? PM those in the list (and those that expressed interest) and away we go..

Hey Idzy,

What's your address please. Do you still need my mill? As I've just received an unexpected job on Saturday Morning my plan is to drop my mill off to you guys about 8-9am do the job and then come back between 11-12.

Also I'm going to KK on Friday is there anything I need to pick up?

See you guys Sat

Damian.

Latest posts

Back