2013 Brisbane Spring Pub Crawl

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
angus_grant said:
Any where else do nice beers in city? Wasn't there a thread about the Exchange hotel having a hand-pump and some good beers available? Or do we just want to get to the Green Beacon goodness? he he
The exchange has a really decent tap and bottle range now. My only complaint (and I go there quite often) is its full of hipsters drinking wine and the hand pump seems to never be working (apparently I just miss the end of the keg)

Maybe with the promise (or threat) of 15-20 guys coming in for the hand-pump might get it working.

We could ring them from German Club and see if hand pump is on. If not, straight to Green Beacon.

The Embassy usually has a few worthwhile on tap and a handpump - and free wifi for drunken thread updates.

GuyQLD said:
The exchange has a really decent tap and bottle range now. My only complaint (and I go there quite often) is its full of hipsters drinking wine and the hand pump seems to never be working (apparently I just miss the end of the keg)
I have been there a few times and same story with the hand pump.

Batz said:
Ok so Armakeggon last weekend, Tin Can Bay seafood festival this weekend (brownie points for this!) Oktoberfest @ German club the weekend after, weekend after this Maleny brew crew....Then a crawl??? I'm going to have to work on this one. ;)
You have to come Batz.

Who else can supply stickers to cover the fine drinking establishments of Brisbane?

Looking forward to having a beer or two together again.

Should have just stayed here for a month Batz :lol: (found out I could have gone to Archive after the fact <_< )

angus_grant said:
Pity the Bacchus beers are no longer at Super Whatnot.
Oh, I didn't know that, what's the go there?
TBH, it isn't a surprise, they seem to have struggled with craft beer on tap. Apart from one or two good ones, the staff haven't helped to promote the beers, while retaining the awareness for operating a keggerator also escaped them.

Probably won't get along to the pub crawl, most likely away that weekend.

RdeVjun said:
Oh, I didn't know that, what's the go there?
TBH, it isn't a surprise, they seem to have struggled with craft beer on tap. Apart from one or two good ones, the staff haven't helped to promote the beers, while retaining the awareness for operating a keggerator also escaped them.

Probably won't get along to the pub crawl, most likely away that weekend.
I think your opinion might change if you went back in. Hop Zombie, Hopwired in the bottle to name a few and a 3 tap PROPER keg system with amazing beers on tap probably had something to do with them winning best bar in QLD on wednesday night at the Australian Bar awards.

They have come a long way since the dodgy kegarator....

King Brown Brewing said:
I think your opinion might change if you went back in. Hop Zombie, Hopwired in the bottle to name a few and a 3 tap PROPER keg system with amazing beers on tap probably had something to do with them winning best bar in QLD on wednesday night at the Australian Bar awards.

They have come a long way since the dodgy kegarator....
Best Cocktail bar, not beer bar ;) wasn't it? A huge congrats to them though, an excellent result. Nothing dodgy about a kegerator & the beer being stored cold. Unfortunately the beer is now stored permanently warm & just flash chilled on pouring, IMHO a backwards step for serving unpasteurised beer. We still have beer on there at times though when requested, we just aren't interested in the shit fight for taps :) .

Cheers Ross

The kegerator has always been sorted since I have been going in. I always enjoyed lobbing in after rugby and waiting for next bus to come and seeing what whacky beers were on tap. I think my favourite was the sour ale. Smashed a few of those.

I can't remember exactly what is on tap now, but certainly more mainstream bigger brewery beers (not XXXX, VB, or anything like that, just mainstream). Nothing exciting. I miss my Bacchus weird beers. :unsure:

angus_grant said:
I can't remember exactly what is on tap now, but certainly more mainstream bigger brewery beers (not XXXX, VB, or anything like that, just mainstream). Nothing exciting. I miss my Bacchus weird beers. :unsure:
a quick scroll through their isntagram feed: moo brew, holgate, kooinda, all in, noisy minor, vale, bridge rd, little creatures, 4 pines, yeasty boys, sierra nevada, green beacon, mountain goat.

Ross' assessment of "shitfight for taps" seems reasonable.

Well just to be completely clear, I was talking about what was on tap on the kegerator. They have a great bottle selection.

Will have to start going through their bottle list next time if the tap beers don't excite me. :D

I read them all off the tap decals. but anyway we digress, pub crawl!

Hmm.... 26 October eh? I'm really going to try and make this. Been meaning to do it a few years now, but last year I was out of town, the year before I was crook as.... Think I did my own crawl unaware that it was on the year before that. Of course, one could crawl all the good beer pubs in the city back in '09 in an afternoon. It's nice to be spoiled for choices.

So... Burrow for Hams Solo Waffles and a beer for breakfast, then one can go any number of ways from there.... the list of good brew places has grown!

Roll on the Pub Crawl, looking foward to the waffles and waffling for breakfast at the Burrow (should we tell them we are coming?) I expect that my memory of events after the German Club visit will be rather vague.

Any ideas on times yet? May need to get some numbers for breakfast and let Burrow know. Not sure how busy they get on a Saturday morning.

Back