Good Places To Drink In Brisbane

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Vroom Bistro & Bar on James St in Fortutude Valley is another good drinking spot! Around 35 Beers (bottled) on menu and 2 x St Arnou on tap. Def worth a visit....

Visited Brisbane a couple of weeks ago. Didn't venture far out of the city centre so all I can recommend is the Bavarian beer cafe, Belgian beer cafe, Pig n Whistle riverside (got thrown out of the Queen st one for some reason so not gonna recommend them) and the Elephant and Wheelbarrow.
As for places not already on the list, Tin Billys backpackers pub on Roma st I think is a good place to drink. Only serve megaswill but the wet t-shirt comp more than made up for that :icon_chickcheers:

Just got back from a weekend trip to Brisbane, unfortunately SWMBO does not think a 'holiday' means visiting every decent beer place in sight so I was limited to one venue per day.

The German Club (Woolloongabba)
While the cricket crowd and the excessively noisy dining hall did spoil things a bit, this place is a must visit.
Quality German food and Beer at very decent prices, as for the rest, well here is the equivalent of a 3000 word review:
GermanClub1.jpg

GermanClub3.jpg

GermanClub4.jpg

The Brewhouse (Woolloongabba)
Lunch Saturday, and another venue well worth the visit.
The beer tasting paddle is a must (no small mouthful-size samples here - 6x almost-full-pots of each of their beers) as was the hot and salty bean/chickpea bar snack sounds weird but tasted delicious.
The 5 house beers they had on tap were all very drinkable, without being outstanding, with the BPA being my favorite.
All the lunches were decent sized, reasonably priced and there was not one complaint from our table of 10.

Archive Beer Boutique (West End)
Got to Archive late on Saturday night, place was packed, excessively noisy and bloody hot, toilets were inadequate and could hardly move through the crowd.
Wide range of Australian craft beer in bottles, but I found the tap-selection (seemed to be only about 6-7 taps) to be fairly limited/bland/boring, no doubt catering for the noisy clientele, 1/2 of which appeared to be drinking spirits anyway!
I was happily drinking Kooinda's Valhalla Golden Ale, until the keg promptly ran out, and then Vale Ale IPA and some bottled beer from Jamersons.

Got to Archive late on Saturday night, place was packed, excessively noisy and bloody hot, toilets were inadequate and could hardly move through the crowd.
Wide range of Australian craft beer in bottles, but I found the tap-selection (seemed to be only about 6-7 taps) to be fairly limited/bland/boring, no doubt catering for the noisy clientele, 1/2 of which appeared to be drinking spirits anyway!
I was happily drinking Kooinda's Valhalla Golden Ale, until the keg promptly ran out, and then Vale Ale IPA and some bottled beer from Jamersons.
[/quote]
Did you go in to the little back bar where all the different beers are?

Definately go to the Next Door bar - its where the high rotation taps and beer engine are (and less crowded).

I looked/walked past a 2nd bar 'out the back' where there was a 2nd entry on a back-street, but to be honest I didn't look what beer they had there (and it was only marginally less crowded).
I figured everything 'on tap' would be on the printed-beer list sitting on the edge of the bar. ;)

I looked/walked past a 2nd bar 'out the back' where there was a 2nd entry on a back-street, but to be honest I didn't look what beer they had there (and it was only marginally less crowded).
I figured everything 'on tap' would be on the printed-beer list sitting on the edge of the bar. ;)
Dude I think you might of missed out. I have been to this pub once and long for the day to get back. Looking forward to July when I get married and my parents are here to look after the kids. It was about 6 in the afternoon when I was there just after the hb conference so there wasn't A fight for the menu or the bar tenders attention. The food was top nosh but all the beers I had was out standing esp the punk hardcore ipa blew me away. All the staff were friendly helpful to and the security aren't goons.

Unfortunatly a venue with no people in it doesn't pay the bills.
To expect it not to be busy late on a Saturday is a little unreasonable.
And there is 14 taps.
Just saying...

Wolfy,

A shame you didn't make it down to see us..... 27 taps pouring over 30 different craft beers

27_taps.jpg

cheers Ross

Wolfy,

A shame you didn't make it down to see us..... 27 taps pouring over 30 different craft beers

View attachment 51572

cheers Ross

And not crowded and a helpful friendly bar attendant. Cool little glass rinser thing to play with as well. :icon_chickcheers:

Ross just needs to open late and have a courtesy bus hahaha

Unfortunatly a venue with no people in it doesn't pay the bills.
To expect it not to be busy late on a Saturday is a little unreasonable.
And there is 14 taps.
Just saying...
Maybe I expected and wanted more (after walking from the CBD) but I reported what I found.
Including that neither the printed beer-list or the bar-staff said anything about a 2nd bar or additional taps, so I was limited to the (main bar) taps which I found to be limited, bland and boring (when two of the taps were not pouring).
Sure the venue/bar/beer cater for the massive crowd - which pays the bills - but that does not mean it's what I was looking for, at a different time/day - being able to speak to the staff/see/move/hear inside the venue - could have been a different story.
Wolfy,

Shame you're so far away - I was told it would be an all-day-tour just to visit you guys - I heard a good review of some 'Indian' IPA you have and didn't even get out your way.

I've found the best time to go to archive is for lunch or early afternoon, because hipsters don't get out of bed until after 12pm and it takes them a while to perfect their hair and decide which outfit to wear.

..and 'next door' bar is where it's at for the stronger / more interesting beers.

Ross just needs to open late and have a courtesy bus hahaha

Agree. Bus will need ice buckets with bottles of BBs finest and will need to make a few toilet stops on its rout to the city.

I've found the best time to go to archive is for lunch or early afternoon, because hipsters don't get out of bed until after 12pm and it takes them a while to perfect their hair and decide which outfit to wear.

..and 'next door' bar is where it's at for the stronger / more interesting beers.

You forgot that it takes them a good 45 mins to sculpt their beards.....

God damn hipsters are the bane of my existence.....

Latest posts

Back