2012 Funky Beer Swap

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In bottles already and waiting to be tried

1. Quintrex - Pale Roeselare beer 'gueze-ish' hopefully
2. Manticle (tentative) - beer with funny yeast and possibly some other stuff to make it taste good
3( Nick R - Berlinner weisse (possibly "imperial")
4. Barls. Something
5. Stuster - definitely something.
6. neonmeate. something (probably made with all the dregs from this year's swap)
7. Josh - not sure at this stage
8. brendanos - TBA
9. Florian - unsure
10. raven19 - brett brux pLambic (hopefully)
11. Kabooby - ?
12. jonw

I've been planning a funked schwartz, so I can call it James' Brown.

ive got three possibilities - a 2010 barley wine - jw lees clone - with brett C added; a belgian imperial stout (brewed with 1581) currently finishing up with orval dregs; a saazy saison finished with a bit of everything from dregs of last year's swap

2. Manticle (tentative) - beer with funny yeast and possibly some other stuff to make it taste good
4. Barls. Something
6. neonmeate. either a bretty imperial stout or a lambicised-saison or a barley wine finished with brett C
8. brendanos - TBA
9. Florian - unsure
10. raven19 - brett brux pLambic (hopefully)
11. Kabooby - ?
12. jonw

a Brett Brux plambic or Flanders Red likely at this stage for my swap beer chaps.

4. Barls. Something
6. neonmeate. either a bretty imperial stout or a lambicised-saison or a barley wine finished with brett C
8. brendanos - TBA
9. Florian - unsure
10. raven19 - brett brux pLambic or flanders red
11. Kabooby - ?
12. jonw

just tasting the first bottle, dont know if i want to share it (mine precious). its an oude bruin that was fermented with roselare and aged half on french oak half on hungarian oak.
big cherry notes, sour and bloody nice flavour and only a month in the bottle. another 6 months and the oak will blend in better and the flavour will keep developing.
4. Barls. oude bruin
8. brendanos - TBA
9. Florian - unsure
11. Kabooby - ?
12. jonw

My braggot with wyeast old ale yeast wont be ready.for another 12m I recon. Needs to develop more brettb characteristics. So ill have to sit this out :(

I.really want to partake in one of these

My braggot with wyeast old ale yeast wont be ready.for another 12m I recon. Needs to develop more brettb characteristics. So ill have to sit this out :(

I.really want to partake in one of these

sounds good for 2013. but surely doesn't need 12 months? 6 is usually plenty, the rest of it can happen in the bottle.

Not sure how I missed this one. Have a Belgian Dark Strong thats been on brett for about 3 months. Its looking tasty but you never know. Ill put myself as tentative in case it doesnt work out.

4. Barls. oude bruin
8. brendanos - TBA
9. Florian - unsure
11. Kabooby - ?
12. jonw
13. gulpa (tentative) - Belgian Dark Strong with brett

Two young Kids and a big wedding I'm supplying with beer have taken its toll:
It looks unlikely that I'll have anything ready for this years swap.
Although i have two yeasts sitting in the fridge that i bought for this Event i just dont Know when i will be able to use them.

hope someone Else fills my place with good beer.

will take my Name off the list when I'm back on a comuter.

I put a Belgian Pale Ale in a keg with the cubes inoculated with my wild yeast. Haven't got a fridge to chill the keg down though as we're in between homes. If I can get the keg chilled, I'll know if that's my swap beer or not.

This thread coming to the top of the list has reminded me to update my entry on it. Ditching the Berliner weisse, as I haven't started it yet, and will be including my pale buckwheat sour in its stead.

3 Nick R - pale buckwheat sour
4. Barls. oude bruin
8. brendanos - TBA
9. Florian - unsure
11. Kabooby - ?
12. jonw

I'd better go an draw up a sample of mine and see how it is. I have a couple on the go - one is a bretty old ale citrus thing and the other is something that's been sitting for a couple of years on some roeselare

I had a tiny taste of my sour buckwheat yesterday as it hit the four month mark, and I'm quite happy with the way it is developing. The buckwheat flavour is HUGE in this beer, and the sourness is coming along beautifully. Initial pedio weirdness has died down and it looks like it will definitely be worth bottling for the October swap.

:party:

Flanders Red bottled last night. Bring on swap 2012!

Noting I have only had a few of 2011's versions to date...!

Hi all,

Just a reminder that this years funky beer swap is nearly upon us... I need those participating to confirm their participation ASAP, and then we will lock in details for those who are posting their beers here, and those who will be bringing their beers to the conference in person.

1. Quintrex - Flanders Pale Ale - Confirmed - Hand Delivery
4. Barls. oude bruin
8. brendanos - TBA
9. Florian - unsure
11. Kabooby - ?
12. jonw

4. Barls. oude bruin- confirmed- couriered
8. brendanos - TBA
9. Florian - unsure
11. Kabooby - ?
12. jonw

how are the rest of the sydney boys getting theirs down there, anyone want to share shipping.

4. Barls. oude bruin- confirmed- couriered
8. brendanos - TBA
9. Florian - unsure
11. Kabooby - ?
12. jonw

how are the rest of the sydney boys getting theirs down there, anyone want to share shipping.

With the overwhelming response... i have no option but to bump! :)

Sorry Q - I've been busy moving house so haven't even checked on mine to see if it's right for swapping.

What's the latest point? If I can get the grace of another week, I'll take it - otherwise I'll need to drop out now so as not to stuff people around.

Sorry Q - I've been busy moving house so haven't even checked on mine to see if it's right for swapping.

What's the latest point? If I can get the grace of another week, I'll take it - otherwise I'll need to drop out now so as not to stuff people around.

No worries manticle... I'm actually moving house next week and most of my brewery will be in storage for the next few months :(....

I just wanted to a) bring it back on everyones radar... and B) see if it was doable to aim for doing this at the conference. Otherwise, perhaps we delay it until after the conference.

I'm happy either way, I mean I have heaps and heaps on at the moment but if it is easier for everyone to swap at the conference... lets do it.

If we need to wait a bit until after the conference though for everyone to be ready, I'm happy to wait.

Cheers,

Q

Edit: Actually I vote we delay the swap until after the conference! Let's aim to have the beer to melbourne by ~20th of november, which then means I can ship it back to you before the christmas rush.

All in favour? Aiiiight ^_^

Back