2006 Nsw Xmas Case (december)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1. Duff - RyeIPA
2. Stuster - American Rye
3. goatherder - APA
4. Trent - Brown Ale
5. DJR - Klsch
6. Pint of Lager
7. Doc - Saison
8. Homebrewworld.com - Sweet Stout
9. Chilled
10. Keith - Raspberry Wheat Beer (K&K&Fruit)
11. n00ch
12. mikem108-Wood aged Smokey Choc Vanilla Porter
13. Beer Slayer
14. Linz - Belgian Wit bier (like No16)
15. Shonky
16. Stephen - Hoegarden White
17. Hopsta - Brown Porter
18. Weizguy - Kmas Kase Weizen (Seth Weizen #2)
19. Thommo - Bitter
20. Barramundi
21. Barry - Munich Dunkel
22. Berto
23. Nifty - some sort of Old Peculier
24. Gerard_M - Something Dark
25. T.D. - Hunter Valley Pale Ale
26. Josh - Sparkling Ale
27. Philmac
28. Crozdog - Southern German lager or Czech pils

Not barrel aged but..
French Oak chips boiled in sugary vanilla falovoured water put into a tea strainer and into the secondary.

1. Duff - RyeIPA
3. goatherder - APA
4. Trent - Brown Ale
5. DJR - Klsch
6. Pint of Lager
7. Doc - Saison
9. Chilled
11. n00ch
13. Beer Slayer
15. Shonky
19. Thommo - Bitter
20. Barramundi
22. Berto
26. Josh - Sparkling Ale
27. Philmac - American Brown
28. Crozdog - Southern German lager or Czech pils

I have followed the 'Bottle From A Keg' thread with interest. I did a test stubbie to test carbonation and it's
a bit low, so will crank it up and try again.

I hope I have 28 bottles left after all this testing. :p

Phil

I had a change of plan following positive feedback on my "house beer". I therefore thought I'd share it with you for the xmas case. The recipe started life as an Aussie pale ale, but due to difficulties sourcing various ingredients became what it is today eg pale malt substituted with pilsner, POR replaced by Northern Brewer.

So what should I call this brew which is really a pilsner fermented with an ale yeast? Alesner? Pilsale? I'm happy just to call it PhilsAle as my name is Philip. Comments?

Whatever the name, I bottled it last night. I must say it was tasting nice :beerbang: As I normally keg & usually make up a 6 pack of bottles, it was my 1st attempt at bulk priming. I guess it will be OK about xmas, but like most naturally carbonated drops would probably benefit from some time in the bottle to age IMHO.

1. Duff - RyeIPA
3. goatherder - APA
4. Trent - Brown Ale
5. DJR - Klsch
6. Pint of Lager
7. Doc - Saison
9. Chilled
11. n00ch
13. Beer Slayer
15. Shonky
19. Thommo - Bitter
20. Barramundi
22. Berto
26. Josh - Sparkling Ale
28. Crozdog - PhilsAle

Good to hear they are all coming along.

Please remember to only label your caps with numbers beside your name :)

Cheers.

The Klsch is now almost lagered enough to bottle (will do in the next day or two), so it will be more than adequately carb'ed when it goes out to everyone. One question i had was, if there's 28 participants, do we put in 27 bottles or 28 (since we don't need one of our own). I guess 28 makes it easier to track.

should there not be 29 participants if there are 28 bottles , we will get on of our own back if there are only 28 ?

I think that's the key, 28 bottles for 28 participants, otherwise it will get too hard for Duff to work out who's is who's. If everyone gets one of their own back there's no need to track everybody's case from the time it is sorted to the time of collection.

In a smaller swap having 1 bottle less than the number of participants is fine, but for 28, well, i wouldn't like to be sorting and organising 27 bottles each to 28 people...

Well my Hoegarden White was bottled today and from what I tasted from the hydrometer tube - should be very good. Unfortunately I had to get mine done early again as I have to go away for for about a month. So it's all done and ready for drop off at MHB's shop.

Look forward to sampling all the other participants offerings.

Cheers

Stephen

28 -29 , one of mine one of yours all good all beer im sure duff has it scoped ....

With the Saison now in a seperate fermentation fridge set at 25degC, all is looking good for the Saison yeast to finish in time for the case. Phew. And that is a mission with the day temp today :p

Doc

Keep tha faith, Doc!

U know I'd do the same for you guys. In fact, my weizen, for the first time (ever) is being given a 1 week lagering period.

Now I just gotta remember my Participant code for the bottlecaps. I'll read back in this thread.

Good to see that brewers are doing their best 4 this case. I'm happy to say that my bonus Berlinisch weisse in the last case, took out the Best in Show at the NSW State comp this year, ahead of some great competition from a bunch of star brewers: quite a few of which forage upon this forum.

Other star beers were in the case, too. I don't wanna name anyone, in case I miss someone.

This is not a boast. I'm just saying that everyone brews their best beer for this case. In fact, people drop out, rather than provide a beer which may not hit the mark.

The feedback helps, and you can try suggestions, and evaluate them.

Hope my hefeweizen satisfies, this year.

Seth Beerfiend :p

I too, am looking forward to this case, quite a few of the winners at state and castle hill, and even national, are on the list, so it should be a beauty. I hate to throw a cat amongst the pigeons, but after the last case, we bought up the possibility of putting in one extra of our favourite brews to go towards the "cogs" that make this thing actually work. Are we still going to do that, or is that going to creat some kind of logistical nightmare? I am more than happy to throw in one from my personal stash (the one that doesnt get dragged out when the boys come for a visit) to say thanks to the drivers/sorters/organisers. Anybody else keen for this or have a problem with it? Failry confident the people on the receiving end wont have too much of a problem with it ;) Anyway, just a suggestion
All the best
Trent

I too, am looking forward to this case, quite a few of the winners at state and castle hill, and even national, are on the list, so it should be a beauty. I hate to throw a cat amongst the pigeons, but after the last case, we bought up the possibility of putting in one extra of our favourite brews to go towards the "cogs" that make this thing actually work. Are we still going to do that, or is that going to creat some kind of logistical nightmare? I am more than happy to throw in one from my personal stash (the one that doesnt get dragged out when the boys come for a visit) to say thanks to the drivers/sorters/organisers. Anybody else keen for this or have a problem with it? Failry confident the people on the receiving end wont have too much of a problem with it ;) Anyway, just a suggestion
All the best
Trent
I'll be dropping off something when I leave my case at Duff's. I've got an ale that's been going well and a few extra bottles of the wit from the small case swap. So it will probably be one or both of those depending on my supply when I get finished.

Might as well start the "is it ready to drink when we get it/have to wait/DRINK IT NOW DAMMIT IT'S GONNA BLOW" list...

Oh and i'm all up for giving a bottle or two to the organisers/delivery guys - maybe you guys can get a bottle or two of the AIPA that took out the honours at the CH Show.

1. Duff - RyeIPA
3. goatherder - APA
4. Trent - Brown Ale
5. DJR - Klsch - ready to drink.
6. Pint of Lager
7. Doc - Saison
9. Chilled
11. n00ch
13. Beer Slayer
15. Shonky
19. Thommo - Bitter
20. Barramundi
22. Berto
26. Josh - Sparkling Ale
28. Crozdog - PhilsAle

I have made a change to my contribution, due to my work commitments of the last month.
No longer will it be Sweet Stout, i will now be a APA that is sitting in a cube cold ,no chill method.
Will hit the fermenter today. Hope this is ok, cheers

1. Duff - RyeIPA
3. goatherder - APA
4. Trent - Brown Ale
6. Pint of Lager
7. Doc - Saison
8. Homebrewworld.com - APA
9. Chilled
11. n00ch
13. Beer Slayer
15. Shonky
19. Thommo - Bitter
20. Barramundi
22. Berto
26. Josh - Sparkling Ale
28. Crozdog - PhilsAle

Just thought I'd update the list with my contribution. Mines also having a bit of a lager at the moment and should be bottled this weekend.

1. Duff - RyeIPA
3. goatherder - APA
4. Trent - Brown Ale
6. Pint of Lager
7. Doc - Saison
9. Chilled
11. n00ch - Hefeweizen
13. Beer Slayer
15. Shonky
19. Thommo - Bitter
20. Barramundi
22. Berto
26. Josh - Sparkling Ale
28. Crozdog - PhilsAle

1. Duff - RyeIPA
2. Stuster - American Rye - ready to drink
3. goatherder - APA
4. Trent - Brown Ale
6. Pint of Lager
7. Doc - Saison
9. Chilled
11. n00ch
13. Beer Slayer
15. Shonky
19. Thommo - Bitter
20. Barramundi
22. Berto
26. Josh - Sparkling Ale
28. Crozdog - PhilsAle

Definitely some bottles to oil the wheels for those doing the swap work. Thanks to all who make the case work. :super:

homebrewworld, I hope you are not trying to pass off some sub standard no-chill muck. There's no chance that method could work with an APA. :lol:

Latest posts

Back