2 Tier Brewstand With March Pump.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
View attachment 34215

Great idea Dave and a nice bit of work. I never stop being amazed at the ingenuity of some of the guys on this Forum which helped me put together my own gear.

:icon_cheers:

BN

thanks BN, i'm going to get stuck in over the next few days (hangover permitting) and try and finish it off :icon_cheers:

cheers
Dave

Looking good Yardy, cool idea slotting the keg top for the false bottom. :)

after your efficiency woes with the Tun, I'm pretty sure I know where the tap in the Tun is going.

My FB is similar to your slotted one, Doug uses one identical to your second one, runs off from the bottom of the vessel and gets 80 +% eff fly sparging

With my tun, I have been informed to ditch fly sparging and batch sparge to cure most of my lautering problems, will see how it goes

Paul

My FB is similar to your slotted one, Doug uses one identical to your second one, runs off from the bottom of the vessel and gets 80 +% eff fly sparging

With my tun, I have been informed to ditch fly sparging and batch sparge to cure most of my lautering problems, will see how it goes

Paul

i'm going to fit the tap to the bottom, not sure how i'm going to run the first brew, batch i suppose..

Dave

Hey yardy.

I have a FB similar to your mesh one..... have used it for many years and it works a treat. I just whis i had of made it bigger. I love the look of your slotted one though, it wont buckle!

For my Mash Tun, i wanted to drain from under the FB without having any tube going through it. I figured it would be a pain while trying to stir the mash.

So i did this. Probably a bit late but it works very well.

Your rig is looking tops.... keep the pics coming

Cheers

bottom_of_mash_tom.jpg

False_botton_from_behind.jpg

mash_ton.jpg

I did something a bit different from others as I started with a second hand tun which had a threaded socket in the bottom. I added some half inch parallel thread with some holes in the side of it and fitted a standard 12 inch false bottom over it and secured with a threaded cap. Holds everything together nicely.

Copy_of_Inside_tun.jpg

The outside has elbow and tap.

Alf

Hey yardy.

I have a FB similar to your mesh one..... have used it for many years and it works a treat. I just whis i had of made it bigger. I love the look of your slotted one though, it wont buckle!

For my Mash Tun, i wanted to drain from under the FB without having any tube going through it. I figured it would be a pain while trying to stir the mash.

So i did this. Probably a bit late but it works very well.

Your rig is looking tops.... keep the pics coming

Cheers

G'day Tony,

do you have any recirc/channeling issues with the return to MLT being a single pipe instead of a ring, or do attach sparge ring or hose etc to that pipe ?

Cheers
Dave

btw, thanks for the info Alfie

g'day brewers,

just the kettle to do now, all the plumbing for the MLT is done, got the pump wired up (Thanks Paul :) ) and running with no leaks B)

brass manifold made from a threaded bung
mlt3.jpg

in place below the FB
mlt2.jpg

plumbing
mlt7.jpg

recirc ring in action
mlt6.jpg

also got the site glass done
mlt4.jpg

cheers
Dave

You have almost inspired me to go and do some work on mine Dave,

Bloody good show

Paul

Dave, I may have missed it, but is the recirc ring a variable height unit, or is it fixed at the one height?

You have almost inspired me to go and do some work on mine Dave,

Bloody good show

Paul

Almost ? :p

thanks again for the hand mate

Dave, I may have missed it, but is the recirc ring a variable height unit, or is it fixed at the one height?

g'day Geoff,

it's variable mate, i've got 3/8th silicon hose as the vertical, it can vary in height about 60mm before it starts to kink and have any effect on the outflow so hopefully that'll be OK, if not just always cut a piece to suit B)

cheers
Dave

is the recirc ring a variable height unit, or is it fixed at the one height?

In reality the volume of liquid movement during recirculation and sparge is quite small (at homebrew scale) and no spray or distribution system works very well or is really required, a single pipe manifold for wort return to the tun is sufficient.

Cheers,

Screwy

Looking good Dave; love that mother of a tap on the side. Being made with solid pipe, how will you rip it down for cleaning?

Watching to get ideas for when I go 3V

QldKev.

Gotta agree with all here you're doing a bloody good job mate. I've really been enjoying this thread and they way you have been keeping us updated on your progress. Keep up the good work Yardy! :beerbang:

Chap Chap

and no spray or distribution system works very well or is really required, a single pipe manifold for wort return to the tun is sufficient.

G'day Screwy,

could you direct me to a link that shows how these returns don't work very well ? thanks.

i'm no engineer but after re-reading Palmer's thoughts on mashing and MLT design i'll go with the ring, inverted obviously.

Cheers
Dave

Looking good Dave; love that mother of a tap on the side. Being made with solid pipe, how will you rip it down for cleaning?

Watching to get ideas for when I go 3V

QldKev.

G'day Kev, not sure which tap you mean mate but it's all swagelok comp fittings, piece of pi$$ to pull to bits, comes apart at the base of the Tun and at the HLT, i figure once the transfer is done and the boil started i'll dump the spent grain, hose out and reassemble for hot water rinse or PBW etc.

Gotta agree with all here you're doing a bloody good job mate. I've really been enjoying this thread and they way you have been keeping us updated on your progress. Keep up the good work Yardy! :beerbang:

Chap Chap

G'day Chappy,

cheers bloke, looking forward to see what doesn't work :lol:

Cheers
Dave

You going to flys parge through the ring or is it for recirc only?

Paul

You won't be able to recirc through the ring very well Yardy, massive potential to block up with shit.......

Latest posts

Back